I like it, Now help me LOVE my galaxy tab

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a galaxy tab on the sprint network (but not connected to service, using wifi only)

I have never had an android device before, my telephone is a palm pixi (on sprint network). I got tired of waiting for palm to release their tablet and i really wanted an ereader and for the money, the tab is worth much more. There are some things that I either don't know how to do or maybe are not possible. Before I spend hours searching for the how tos, I'd like to find out if any of these things are possible. Feel free to refer me to other areas, etc.

1. I miss universal search!! (from palm), I guess the closest thing is to click on the google search tab, which seems a bit slow and isn't quite the same thing. Is there something like this on android?

2. I have quite a few 'mobi' books. I've connected the tab to the computer and transferred them directly in the built in app for kindle. When I do this, I can see and read the books fine, but when I try to get out of the book, the tab does a little shake, goes black and then finally gives me that force close error. There is only one book I downloaded directly from amazon via the app and it works fine. Is there a better reader out there, is the mobi extension the problem? Any suggestions why this is going on?

3. Is there anyway to use my phone connection to access internet on the tab? I have seen where you can use the galaxy to give your netbook/laptop access, but not the other way around. How about plugging into a computer with internet via the usb cord? (this might be a question for the palm forum, since my phone is pixi)

4. When playing games, is there a way to disable the menu keys? I find that I accidentally press one of those and I am taken back to the main screen and then I have to go back into apps, find the game, press it again (and I don't lose anything I have done in the game, it's just annoying)

5. I use my homes wireless connection for the tab. The connection is secured via passwords, etc. on Allshare, I can see my home computer, but I cannot access any of the videos, songs, etc. that are on my computer, it just says that there are none available. I think this might be due to the security, but I don't see a place to enter in any security information on the app or otherwise get around this.

Is this thing 'rooted'? I find an app that says "my files" and it says "root". I have some experience with modifying my palm phone and don't know if this is something that I should do no the tab or can it be done or is it worth doing.

I know that is a lot! I appreciate any help. Other questions are probably more related to apps or general android things and I will learn a lot.

I know it sounds like I am not satisfied, but I do really like the size, the browsing, watching youtube videos, texting via google, etc.

bartlaroc

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Tab

Sprint Galaxy Tab User Guide
http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/user_guides/samsung/galaxy/samsung_galaxy_tab_ug.pdf

1. Universal search, not sure what that is, do you mean the google search on home screen ? ... i just use Browser, cant remember the default home page, but i have settings, home page, set google search as the home page

2. book reader, try Aldiko
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.aldiko.android&feature=search_result

3. try Palm Forum

4. no way to disable menu keys, you could try turning screen so keys are on left or right side, see which suits you best

5. AllShare, windows 7, Control Panel, network & sharing centre, choose homegroup & sharing options ... check libraries & share media with devices, click on "change advanced sharing settings" check the top option in everything & media streaming on (open windows media player, help/check for updates) in Library, with Tab & AllShare on, you should see "Other Libraries" your Tab music, videos, pictures ... on the tab select pc as server, tab as playback, audio, select a song

Rooted, open "My files" top blue border shows uo arrow Root, open DCIM, top border shows DCIM touch the up arrow, takes you back to main list ( you are not rooted)

Bart :cool:

Reactions: grizzylemon

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I have a galaxy tab on the sprint network (but not connected to service, using wifi only)

1. I miss universal search!! (from palm), I guess the closest thing is to click on the google search tab, which seems a bit slow and isn't quite the same thing. Is there something like this on android?

There is an app called Gesture Search which I use non-stop. You can even configure it to tell it what to search for so you can ignore certain areas. It's really good. I use it on my MyTouch 4G and my Galaxy Tab.

3. Is there anyway to use my phone connection to access internet on the tab? I have seen where you can use the galaxy to give your netbook/laptop access, but not the other way around. How about plugging into a computer with internet via the usb cord? (this might be a question for the palm forum, since my phone is pixi)
Yeah, the Palm forum would be more help since we're mainly Android/iPhone users here.

5. I use my homes wireless connection for the tab. The connection is secured via passwords, etc. on Allshare, I can see my home computer, but I cannot access any of the videos, songs, etc. that are on my computer, it just says that there are none available. I think this might be due to the security, but I don't see a place to enter in any security information on the app or otherwise get around this.
Check out bartlaroc's recommendations, but it could also be your access point. Perhaps providing your operating system and the type of router you have would help here.

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
BART!!! ;)

Got the allshare thing to work by following your words. It was to do with share media devices not being on. ;)

Now I can watch eastenders and Father Ted not in front of the computer!! ;)

As for the rooted thing, since it took me back to main menu, I guess I am not rooted. I will keep reading to see if being rooted is something that I need to do!! Thanks again ever so much!!

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
JB, just downloaded the gesture thing and am going to give it a try, I have to figure out how to use it!! Thanks, I think I will like it once I get it programmed properly!

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Jb, okay, I like how it works (the gesture thing) but I still have to open the app and then start making 'gestures', it seems if I am going to open that app, I could just open the app that I am looking for instead?

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the Sprint Pixi question, no it cannot be done. The Pixi lacks wi-fi so it cannot function as a wi-fi hotspot. You'd have to get a Verizon or GSM Pixi Plus in order to do that.

Also, the Pixi cannot do USB or Bluetooth tethering to a Tab either. So you are pretty much out of luck, sorry. I think Sprint DOES offer a no-contract, month-to-month data plan for their Tab, so you may want to look into that if your unit has a clean ESN.

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
aww

Thanks HK, I kind of had a feeling that was the case in regards to the pixi. I am going to be upgrading my phone sometime soon (not holding out much hope that sprint will get the pre 3, but we will see). If I had the pre (or any wi fi phone) then it would be something I could do?

grizzylemon

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Bart, another allshare question. Is there a way to only allow it certain things from my computer? I only ask because that computer has about 180gigs worth of video, music, pictures and it takes the poor tab forever to try to get everything displayed.

bartlaroc

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
AllShare

on the PC, open Windows Media Player, Libraries .... right click Music (left hand colum), click "Manage Music Library" select the folders you want to share (you can add & remove as you need) ... the same with "Manage Video Library" & "Manage Picture Library"

the Library is just a pointer to the folders your sharing, removing them from the library does not affect the original folders on the pc ( unless under tools, library you have checked the option "delete files from computer when deleted from library")

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae