What about us red-headed step-children of the Galaxy Tab world..the WiFi only owners?

anon(134792)

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if kies works for the WiFi only tab? I would imagine it would have to since it would be the only way to update. I downloaded it on my Windows 7 64-bit computer and attempted to update my firmware, if needed, and it wouldn't connect to my Tab.

Also, I know that people are working on Gingerbread & Honeycomb for the GSM & CDMA versions but is anyone working on the same for the WiFi only version?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

jtskier11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I dont know if theres hope. Theres a small handfull of guys on XDA that say they might work on a port for the wifi Tab. But other than that I dont know, it has different hardrware too! Half tempted to sell mine and go for something else with an actual support base.

anon(134792)

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. Thanks.

Have you tried and/or had any luck connecting to kies with your WiFi SGT?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

sicembaylor

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have absolutely no issue or problem using Kies with my wifi tab.

As for Gingerbread, Samsung has said that every Galaxy device will be updated in the coming months. I have faith that means we will as well.

jtskier11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have absolutely no issue or problem using Kies with my wifi tab.

As for Gingerbread, Samsung has said that every Galaxy device will be updated in the coming months. I have faith that means we will as well.

KIES works with my Tab. It just says something about "not upgradeable."

jolo

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
You really made me laugh with reference to a "red-headed step children".

I have a Galaxy Tab, WiFi only GT-1010.
I have kies installed and working on my desktop and laptop that are are both 64 bit, Windows 7 systems.
I didn't have any problems at all except for the fact that I find Kies very cumbersome and slow.

As far as I know, there isn't a firmware upgrade available for the GT-1010.

I an also aware that on the Samsung U.S. site, uit us virtually impossible to send a tech support email our chat. The GT-1010 cannot be selected.

Jon

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

jolo

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I would take what you read on the XDA forums with a brain of salt.
Lots of blowhards, giant egos and rumor mongering there.
Jon

jolo

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I too have had no issues with installing Kies. I also had no problems going in the Samsung website and downloading and installing the latest upgrade for Kies on my WiFi only GT-1010.
Instead of panicking(like I used to do), over the unsubstantiated rumors that are posted as if the are factual, think of how great it is NOT to "donate large monthly fees to the oligopoly of cell phone companies.
One needs to understand the marketing money and pressure that comes from the cell phone companies to downgrade any mobile WiFi only device.This includes lots of postings on XDA.
We need to be active and do our own marketing by posting in forums, contacting Samsung and placing positive reviews based on our experiences, not on paranoia generated from the bullcrap generated by XDA and other mobile and Andriod sites. Especially if the site does any advertising.

jolo

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I have never seen ANYTHING from Kies saying anything about being NOT UPGRADEABLE!
In FACT, I have upgraded my version if Kies from the Samsung website which was available to GT-1010 users AFTER I bought my GT-1010.

There also are better Apps available to us than Kies.

jtskier11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen ANYTHING from Kies saying anything about being NOT UPGRADEABLE!
In FACT, I have upgraded my version if Kies from the Samsung website which was available to GT-1010 users AFTER I bought my GT-1010.

There also are better Apps available to us than Kies.

My KIES updates just fine. It just reports my TAB (when connected) as not being upgradeable. Same as a few other people are reporting now.

jolo

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you about having an upgrade to 2.3x in the future.
But please remember:
Kies Has been upgraded for us GT-1010 users.
An upgrade from Froyo to 2.3x, is not going to change your life. Is there a specific App, that you can't run currently and really want, that an upgrade to 2.3x will change?
In the Android world, Froyo overwhelmingly the most users and the number is growing.

In my view I think that it is a good idea to focus and learn what our GT-1010 can do currently and think about functionality.

I thing sellers rely on users "Version Lust" to keep buying the "the newest and latest" about every year.
What this mentality does is create environment where more resources get focused on rushing rushing out new hardware rather and having little for support and upgrading for current models.

Jon

jolo

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
jtskier,
Could you post a screen that shows the "non-upgradeable message?
Possibly, means that their isn't a newer upgrade to Kies available since the current upgrade.
Like I mentioned, I think that their are better Apps to execute transfers between by PC and my GT-1010.

Jon

anon(134792)

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I got the same message about not being upgradable but I'm at work and can't get a screen shot right now.

Thanks for all the responses everybody!!

I know there are a few good programes that are better for transferring such files but don't you still have to get the initial download of the file through KIES? For example, when Sammy delivers Gingerbread to us, don't we still have to get it from KIES?

--Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon