Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Talking Drawing with the Galaxy Tab 7"

I'm looking between the samsung 7" or the EVO View (both from Sprint). The size seems like it would work best in my life.

One of the things I'm wondering about with the galaxy tab 7" is if anyone has done any drawing/note taking on it? I'm an artist, but I don't draw as much as I used to because carrying a sketchbook around just isn't convenient with everything else I've got loaded into my bag. I'm not expecting to be able to do like photoshop level stuff. There's a sketchbook app on the market, and really for any digital art I do, I alway zoom in for detail, so if it's not "great" at detail, as long as I can zoom it will be good enough for me.

The Evo View is twice as expensive as the Galaxy tab(on sprint), which has been out longer and I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) it's recieved an update?
    I love HTC sense, and I hear samsung phones are just plain awful, that their skin for the OS is just hideous and unworkable ---except for the tablets.

I have searched the forum, and not seeing anyone mention using the tablet to draw anything. Again, I'm not expecting to be able to illustrate fine detail. I was thinking quick sketches, things that I could refine later on my desktop PC. More like for capturing ideas rather than necessarily fleshing them out completely on the tablet.

Thanks for the help

ROM
    Stock

I would go with the HTC Evo View. Samsung offers very little support to this particular tab as it's predecessors are being released in the coming weeks. Also consider that the View is 4G and has the pen that the 7" Galaxy Tab (or no other tablet for that matter) does not have.

Dropped from my Galaxy Tab with a little tiger blood
    Sent from the future on my Evo 4G LTE
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "support" ? I'm a geek, I never need to call tech support, most things I can figure out on my own.

As far as the stylus goes, I can get one on amazon.com for 15 dollars, and the reviews suggest that as long as you get one that has the right specs, it'll work just fine on a galaxy tab.

4G isn't all that great, frankly. You know how sometimes you'll be doing something on your phone or tablet and for some reason email/twitter/facebook/weather app isn't updating? Or maybe you're trying to open a web page and it's just spinning it's wheels? You don't get a connection error message, and the progress bar (if there is one) isn't moving. You''ve got a full signal. But for some reason you're just not able to update, surf, or do anything?

That's my experience of Sprint's 4G service in the Chicago area.

It's fast when it does work. And sometimes it barely has a signal but still works, but I'd say about half the time it just spins it's wheels. Or, I'll get message like "weatherbug can't connect" or "Post failed" indicating it was connected to 4G, it tried to do something, but couldn't.

And switching to 3G fixes this. Every. Single. Time.

If I'm having an issue, but no real error message about not being connected....I look up, and oh look it's 4G connection with full bars. Switch to 3G and BOOM gmail/twitter/facebook syncs, pages load, apps finish downloading in the blink of an eye. Even when 4G does work, it's not a significantly faster service. I'm sure if I had tools to measure it, I would see that it's faster, but just the experience isn't anything for people to go nuts over compared to 3G. Perhaps my EVO is the issue, and hopefully I'll be able to trade it in at target in a few weeks, but yeah. Not exactly a selling point, especially since a few updates ago you could no longer dismiss the "Your 4G antenna is ON!" notification.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Consider a Dagi stylus with Autodesk's SketchBook Mobile app and I think you will be impressed with what you can achieve on the go.

I am an artist and I use a Dagi. My main work computer (because I travel a lot) is a
    14 inch tablet PC. I find that drawing on a Tab is shaky at best. Meaning that when you try to draw a smooth thin line it comes out as a shaky line. The Tab works best if you know how to oil paint. For those that know, that means using brush strokes over other strokes to make out smaller features.

I love my Tab and wouldn't trade it in for anything else yet. I take it everywhere I go and I do all sorts of work on it from editing plots, proofing images and color, reference file, portfolio, and communications. But, alas for fine line drawing it is far from useful. It is possible to do quick drawings or layouts but you can't do it easily. It takes a lot of concentration. Btw Sketchbook suffers from shaky line syndrome on Tab. I find the app Magic Doodle more satisfying for painting.