Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Where does the app save offline files?

    Hi

    Let me just say I'm new to the forum and new to using the Galaxy Tab, I've had Samsung phones for years but have not put any effort into what I can really do, so please give me answers for dummies

    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1" ( for about two weeks). I recently downloaded an app for borrowing eBooks from my local library (ebokbib - for Norwegian library's). I can download the books and read it in offline mode on the tab so there must be a file somewhere stored on the Tab. I've looked everywhere I can think of and have used different file manager apps to try to locate it. I have looked around and it seems like everyone is saying that the apps are saving offline files to the sdcard, but I haven't put in the sdcard yet (lazy...... ). So does anyone have an idea where I can look and maybe how? I think one of my problems is that I really don't know what I'm looking for. I'm not sure of what kind of file this is, but I think that it is not the traditional eBook formats (epub, mobi, pdf, txt etc) because you need o have the app to be able to read it.

    Hopefully someone here can help me find the file on the tab.
    Thank you.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,534 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    Welcome to AC
    What apps have you tried using? Some I've found don't do well with searching for files as others. My app of choice is ES File Explorer.
    Have you tried a very vague search like just one of the words in the title of a book as opposed to all of it or maybe just .pdf/.txt? I have more luck with a broader approach than trying with the specific title as they're not usually stored the way they should be.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    I have tried ES, Astro (?) and one more that I cannot remember the name of (don't have the Tab here now). I even tried connecting the tab to my pc and do a search on it as an external hard drive. I tried putting in different search terms from words in the title, author, file extension etc. not all together but as you mentioned vague search terms.

    I'll try to do a search again tonight when get home to see if I can pinpoint it. It has to be there as I can read the book offline. I'm just checking to see if anyone has an idea to narrow down the search and if there are any specific places I should look. Maybe uninstalling the library app, put in the sdcard, re-install app and download book forces saving to the sdcard?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    I have searched and searched and cannot find the file. Apparently the ebooks for the app is in epub-format, but there are no files on mu tab in this format. they must have hidden it somewhere. anyone have an idea where to look for hidden files?
  5. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,534 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lillemy71 View Post
    I have searched and searched and cannot find the file. Apparently the ebooks for the app is in epub-format, but there are no files on mu tab in this format. they must have hidden it somewhere. anyone have an idea where to look for hidden files?
    Weird...do you know how large the files are? There are some file explorers that let you sort by size of the files, maybe you can narrow it down to a few folders.
    You mind me asking why you need to find the files? I didn't see anything in your OP about that...

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Weird...do you know how large the files are? There are some file explorers that let you sort by size of the files, maybe you can narrow it down to a few folders.
    You mind me asking why you need to find the files? I didn't see anything in your OP about that...

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    Honestly? I want the file to transfer it to my Sony e-reader. I just hate reading books on android devices or any other similar device or pc. Unfortunately the library's and publishers have decided that the books you can borrow can only be read using the app. I don't know why, I don't even think they know themselves.

    I have used every search term I can think of but nothing pops. Somehow they have hidden the files very well, but rooting the tab is not an option. I guess the size of the file will be somewhere between 1.2-2 Mb. Cannot find an option to sort on size or date for that matter (in "ES" and "Search everything"), since I know exactly when I downloaded the file. Oh well guess I have to find another solution.
  7. #7  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,534 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lillemy71 View Post
    Honestly? I want the file to transfer it to my Sony e-reader. I just hate reading books on android devices or any other similar device or pc. Unfortunately the library's and publishers have decided that the books you can borrow can only be read using the app. I don't know why, I don't even think they know themselves.

    I have used every search term I can think of but nothing pops. Somehow they have hidden the files very well, but rooting the tab is not an option. I guess the size of the file will be somewhere between 1.2-2 Mb. Cannot find an option to sort on size or date for that matter (in "ES" and "Search everything"), since I know exactly when I downloaded the file. Oh well guess I have to find another solution.
    Was there some sort of account that you used to download the books? Can you download the app on your e-reader?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Was there some sort of account that you used to download the books? Can you download the app on your e-reader?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    The app can only be used for Android and IOS unfortunately. And yes the account used to borrow/download the book is the user name/number and pin code that the library provided.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    Just installed Bluestacks to see if I can get access to the file that way and what do you know, I cannot log on and get access to google play. I guess this is a lost cause and I have to buy the book in paperback.
    Last edited by Lillemy71; 08-19-2014 at 01:07 PM.
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,534 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Where does the app save offline files?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lillemy71 View Post
    Just installed Bluestacks to see if I can get access to the file that way and what do you know, I cannot log on and get access to google play. I guess this is a lost cause and I have to buy the book in paperback.

    If you can't install the app directly, and they use a proprietary (or at least not supported commonly) file format that would probably be the only choice. Other than having to stick with your Android device.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Similar Threads

  1. Android SD card and apps
    By owais saeed in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 01:52 AM
  2. app store won't work on galaxy s5
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 01:49 AM
  3. Nexus5 camera app missing After factory reset
    By Thiyagu GK in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 10:58 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions