Galaxy Tab 4 overheating

deeteedub

May 18, 2015
Visit site
In the past month, my Tab 4 10.1 has begun overheating all the time. If I have it on sometimes for no longer than a half hour, I'll get the message that says, "Your applications have been shutdown because your device is overheating."

Does anybody else have this problem? My tablet is only 8 months old!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If it's been overheating, look at your Settings>Battery menu and see if any app is using an unusually high percentage of battery.

If you have a microSD card inserted, try unmounting it (in Settings>Storage) and removing it, then rebooting. A corrupt file on the card can cause the system's Media Scanner to get stuck scanning it, which leads to increased CPU usage and heat generation (and battery drain). You can also insert the card into your computer and run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

deeteedub

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for responding!

I did all that you asked and am still receiving the same error message from time to time.

If anybody else has any ideas or has heard about this problem, I'd be appreciative of your response.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting that--I can't see anything specifically unusual. Was the tablet overheating during the half hour that it was on at the time of that screenshot?

harrison741

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi my issue was being caused by something called mm-qcamera-demon or something. Battery would last about 45mins from a full charge. 20mi 's of surfing the Web would lead to an overheating issue. The tablet was useless. All started with an update to version 5.02 of Android. Fixed it by removing e erythema including the sd card. Factory reset. Then attached the tablet to my pc and reinstalled the firmware via kies. I have only put the apps on so far that I really need. Kept Skype off and so far no battery drain or overheating. Might help others who have this issue.

Stewart Hill

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for responding!

I did all that you asked and am still receiving the same error message from time to time.

If anybody else has any ideas or has heard about this problem, I'd be appreciative of your response.

I have had problems with my Tab 4 10.1 overheating and restarting constantly. I replaced the thermal pad that is under the metal cover over the gpu. Replacing the thermal pad has stopped it overheating and restarting. Works perfect.
Not a difficult job. Takes 5 minutes and the pad was £1 for 30 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

angelfalls78

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I have had problems with my Tab 4 10.1 overheating and restarting constantly. I replaced the thermal pad that is under the metal cover over the gpu. Replacing the thermal pad has stopped it overheating and restarting. Works perfect.
Not a difficult job. Takes 5 minutes and the pad was £1 for 30 of them.

Hi stweart,
I will try your solution. You know the size of the pad? I have found many on internet and kind of expensive. Thanks!

K Alnory

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
In the past month, my Tab 4 10.1 has begun overheating all the time. If I have it on sometimes for no longer than a half hour, I'll get the message that says, "Your applications have been shutdown because your device is overheating."

Me to! I have an extended warranty with nook although technically was on 1st year still when started overheating, I expected them to ship new one like Nook would but since it's Samsung IDK if they are fixing it or not������. But tried to say heat is normal to which i replied, no I use for awhile then get message shuts down, I should not have to use tablet for a half hour then put down until it cools off so I can use it another half hour. I really hope they fix this for me... I had to hard reset already which SUCKED, losing all my data, I backed up allot but still pain in the @##! Mostly while using app,

I would have zero idea how to do this and would probably invalidate my warranty??

77Alexge

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Had that same overheating message, tried every non-physical solution to no remedy. Ended up replacing the battery. It did solve it for me. Guy I bought the battery from suggested that his business (replacement baterries for sale) is so great because some percentage of all mobile device batteries die slovely after about a year. That isdue to overuse, power surge spikes during charging, "good" initial quality of the batteries, etc.... I dont know if I necessary buy all that theory, but .....

ConvincingLies

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
In my case, here's the culprit

IMG_20160811_151322.jpg

Notice the black plastic that house the power connector from the battery. The thing are not soldered. It simply does contact between surfaces. Which held by some pin mechanism. Because of the nature on how it works, this thing are very susceptible to damage over time, right off the bat. Since the location of the housing are prone to pressure.
Mine simply gets bent. Either the black plastic housing or the PCB itself, I have no clue. I only notice it doesn't contact as it supposed to anymore. It require bit more pressure to achieve it. So, the solution I did was apply some duct tape to force it return to its position.

I did bought an extra battery, but apparently after I did this there are no more sign of battery degradation. No more overheating. Everything runs normally. The replacement battery never gets out of its box after all.

Before this, I was frustrated on how the battery status not match between power off and on. When I turn it off, it always stated that the battery was somehow still contain bit more juice than what it stated while power on. Everything are so conflicting. The problem was rectified by simply turning it off for about 5 hours. No clue what happen then. Then it happened again. The same thing. For five times before I did this. The whole thing happen about 3 months ago.

It's been a week since I did the duct tape now. Not only I avoid my phone warranty as I pry it open myself, I also somehow destroy its SIM jacket. It no longer detect my SIM or any other SIM until I find out some of its copper connector inside the jacket got damaged. Later on I find out that replacing SIM jacket involves soldering. Now this, I'd leave to professionals to handle. The thing is dirt chip anyway. So I assume it would be relatively easy to work too, so it must not be expensive as to say, buying a new battery.

Considering how old my phone is by now, I realize annoying stuff like this is only a matter of time. I have no regret.

Last edited:

Mommastal

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung tablet model number SM - t530 and it has just started in the last 2 months telling me that it has to shut applications because it is overheating even if I'm only using it for 15 to 20 minutes. Also it doesn't hold a charge for very long at all and it should be able to last longer and run longer on the charge I feel. so I would like to find an answer or solution.Mine is not new I've had it since 2014. I actually didn't really use it a lot until I started having problems with my laptop so it hasn't had a lot of use.

Mommastal

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Had that same overheating message, tried every non-physical solution to no remedy. Ended up replacing the battery. It did solve it for me. Guy I bought the battery from suggested that his business (replacement baterries for sale) is so great because some percentage of all mobile device batteries die slovely after about a year. That isdue to overuse, power surge spikes during charging, "good" initial quality of the batteries, etc.... I dont know if I necessary buy all that theory, but .....

I am very thankful for your post and for any replies that offer advice. I am new to this forum and I'm not very good with technology because I'm kind of old but thank you so much and I thank this forum as well. ������

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung tablet model number SM - t530 and it has just started in the last 2 months telling me that it has to shut applications because it is overheating even if I'm only using it for 15 to 20 minutes. Also it doesn't hold a charge for very long at all and it should be able to last longer and run longer on the charge I feel. so I would like to find an answer or solution.Mine is not new I've had it since 2014. I actually didn't really use it a lot until I started having problems with my laptop so it hasn't had a lot of use.
You can fix this problem by bring it to a repair shop to have the battery connector resoldered. You only need to remove the back cover, disconnect the battery, then they can do the rework from the top of the battery connector. In post #17, he fixed by using a duct tape but this is not a proper fix for a cracked solder joints. The work is quite simple, apply flux, heat it and add more solders to six pins of the battery connector.
235729d1471522515t-galaxy-tab-4-overheating-img_20160811_151322.jpg

This is the original connector with minimum solders. This one already has some hairline cracks.
Cracked Battery Connector.jpg

Then a rework with more solders added to secure six pins

JNTC.jpg

I had this overheating problem too. It goes away after I resoldered the battery connector.
It's different model but having the same problem, fortunately Samsung tablets are not catching fire like the Galaxy Note 7 phone due to a cracked battery connector.
Overheat.jpg
Overheat 2.jpg

Last edited:

ConvincingLies

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Been a quite while since my latest post. By now everything is fixed.
Got a new back case. Battery pins jacket gets soldered now. Oddly enough, I don't think it was even soldered in the first place. Even if it did, the traces of it were so obscure. I saw everything the repairman did to my phone thoroughly.
New SIM jacket soldered in and all.
Aside from SIM jacket, nothing from its original board gets replaced or tinkered with.

The whole ordeal cost me about $30, iirc. The replacement battery never gets out of its boxes and I decided to keep it, just in case.

RowanSOMDoc25

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site

Hi,

In response to your overheating issue and your galaxy tab 4 10.1. I have a Samsung Galaxy note pro 12.2 which originally ran kit kat and was upgraded to lolipop. I swore that this upgrade was the main cause of my overheating. I bought the tablet refurbished on amazon and when it booted up it automatically upgraded. I also read something about a charging issue and in order to fix it you had to take the battery out and hold the power button down for a few seconds to discharge the capacitors. I reconnected the battery and it still wasn't fixed.

Next I took out the battery and cleaned the prongs on the motherboard that the battery plug connects into with rubbing alcohol and a q tip. I also cut a small piece of plastic from a guitar pick to place between the battery wires and the mother in attempt to change the angle of the connection plug from the battery to the motherboard. This has fixed my problem. It runs faster, doesn't overheat no matter how many tabs I have open, applications I am running, or how how bright my screen is. Give it a try. I can't take credit though for the fix...found out the solution on another forum. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Best,
Jeff