Facebook App Won't update, Uninstall, or Re-install Properly

stestardi

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
A few weeks ago, the Facebook app stopped updating properly on my Tab 4. It would hang for many minutes on 'Installing', then the app went back to the 'Updates Available' section in the Play Store. I tried uninstalling the app and was unsuccessful at first (I got an error message I can't recall after many minutes of 'Uninstalling'), but finally after a number of reboots and clearing the cache and force stopping the app in Application manager, I was able to remove it.

Now on every reboot, my Tab 4 shows "Android is starting... Optimizing app 1 of 1." for 5-7 minutes on every reboot.

Things I've tried:

​1. Uninstalled Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Pages Manager using Play Store.
2. Force Stopped Play Store and cleared cache.
3. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
4. Reinstalled Facebook from Play Store. Noticed reinstall happened immediately without any download.
4. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
5. Tried uninstalling Facebook using User Apps page in ES File explorer. got a popup saying "Facebook Uninstalled", but the icon was still there when the screen refreshed.
6. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
7. Cleared Cache Data using the Settings app. Got a popup that said "Security policy restricts clearing of this apps cache", but the storage taken by the cache reduced from 550MB to 125MB.
8. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
9. Cleared Cache Portion using the Tab 4 recovery menu.
10. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
11. Started the Tab 4 in Safe Mode (which requires holding the Volume Down key for the entire time the "Android is starting..." screen is displayed.
12: Cleared the cache, Force Stopped the app, and uninstalled it in Application Manager.
13. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.

Facebook has released at least two new updates since this problem happened, but none of them have been pushed to my device.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might help to reinstall the firmware using either Samsung Kies or Samsung Smart Switch. Make sure to backup your data first.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois