Barnes & Noble NOOK version

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have this? I just bought one a few hours ago.

Still waiting to charge fully before I use it. I do realize that it's branded with the Barnes & Noble stuff. I've been researching a few tablets, and am fine with the screen size and branding. (I have a NOOK account.) Comes loaded with KitKat 4.4.2, 8 GB memory. Looks like it should have enough space for apps. Will take out a 32 GB MicroSD card from my Kyocera Event to expand storage ATM. If I like it, I may order a 64 or 128 GB card online and put it on the Tab 4. Yes, those cards will work in newer Android devices, reformat them to FAT32 LBA, DONE!

Nice to see that Google Play Store is included. This should let me load the Kindle app. I probably won't load it up as much as my rooted LG Optimus F3 phone. Maybe 30 apps max.

Battery life should be good... perhaps as long as I don't load the facebook app. 4,000 mA seems plenty. 1.2 GHz quad core processor is the same as my F3, am OK with that.

Any other owners of this B&N Tab 4 out there?

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else have this? I just bought one a few hours ago.

Still waiting to charge fully before I use it. I do realize that it's branded with the Barnes & Noble stuff. I've been researching a few tablets, and am fine with the screen size and branding. (I have a NOOK account.) Comes loaded with KitKat 4.4.2, 8 GB memory. Looks like it should have enough space for apps. Will take out a 32 GB MicroSD card from my Kyocera Event to expand storage ATM. If I like it, I may order a 64 or 128 GB card online and put it on the Tab 4. Yes, those cards will work in newer Android devices, reformat them to FAT32 LBA, DONE!

Nice to see that Google Play Store is included. This should let me load the Kindle app. I probably won't load it up as much as my rooted LG Optimus F3 phone. Maybe 30 apps max.

Battery life should be good... perhaps as long as I don't load the facebook app. 4,000 mA seems plenty. 1.2 GHz dual core processor is the same as my F3, am OK with that.

Any other owners of this B&N Tab 4 out there?
I think this is an awesome concept. Please provide a good overview of the device and how you like the device.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
This does not run like the older nook tablets. It's pure Samsung, with Google Play and nook apps included. Many preinstalled apps can be turned off (including the nook and some Samsung apps), and reduced to their factory counterparts. Not as good as completely deleting unwanted apps, but it does give some breathing room as far as expanding memory a little.

Can you believe this, the nook apps can be turned off? :D I had a laugh at this... but anyway. Yes, I do have a B&N account. Back to the review! :)

Running more or less pure KitKat with Touchwiz may turn off diehard nook users. I don't blame them; this is my first tablet. Still, if you are a long time nook user, and are looking for a more capable device at a good price point (or something newer), there are many reasons to upgrade. Getting Google Play to work without rooting your nook could be one. Two, I'm willing to bet that some of you might have an amazon account, and want to read or watch video from that site. I'll honestly say that the Fire HD has better hardware specs, and direct support via Mayday. I prefer more of a pure Android experience, and this tablet gives me that without having to root.

So far, I've had no need to even want to root this. That's because around 4 GB of the 8 GB internal memory is free. If you turn off enough of the preinstalled apps that allow it, you can get a few hundred MB back. Thankfully Google reinstated its App2SD function with KitKat, so now some downloaded apps can really be moved to SD. Like before, a part of the app remains in internal memory. I've moved to SD about 20 apps, onto a 32 GB MicroSD card that I took from a Kyocera Event and reformatted for the Tab 4. I'm liking this tablet so much, that I may get a Class 10 64 GB card for this phone. That's more than enough room for video and music (for me).

My tablet has the latest update on it, and that does improve some of the video issues that some reviewers online experienced. The kernel is upgraded on that one (from Aug. 10, I think). I also run some games on it, and surfing on the web is nearly as fast as my laptop PC. This is not a tablet for a hardcore gamer. Go somewhere else if that's your idea of a good time. 720p video runs fine, and I installed Adobe Flash on my Tab 4. That still doesn't work with Chrome though... :p Works great with Dolphin Jetpack!

You want good sound? Use your favorite headphones, earbuds, external speakers...

Chromecast works as intended. Now I don't have to use my PC or phone (but I still can).
Having a 7 inch screen enables me to use the virtual keyboard in the same manner as a phone, in portrait mode. Unless your hands are unusually large, this can be an advantage when typing memos or surfing the web. I might look for a bluetooth keyboard sometime. That would be useful with Office apps and hacking apps like Terminal IDE that don't require rooting.

Battery life is great with the 4000mA unit. I can get about 2 days out of it with moderate use. It's bright enough for me with the slider at around 25%, quite a bright screen if you ask me!

A good value overall, especially if you have a sizable nook library.

Mrs Williams1

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Happy Samsung Galaxy 4 Nook owner here:)
I picked mine up on Friday and I am luvin it:) I once owned a Nook Color that I gave away and was thinking that I would love to get another Nook then I saw an article on yours truly 'Android Central' about the new Samsung Galaxy 4 Nook, I was intrigued because I always wanted a Samsung tablet as well so after watching unboxings and reviews I decided to pick one up so now I got the best of both worlds. I am not a gamer so I don't need anything high powered, it will be used mostly for reading, searching and the occasional watching of YouTube videos along with social media of course so the specs suit me just fine and it's such a pretty thing (I got the white one) so thin, small and light, I can hold it comfortably in one hand. I think Barnes and Noble definitely moved in the right direction on this one of course not everyone is going to care but it's made me happy.