Tab 4 8.0 compared to the Tab S 8.4?

larry0071

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had this Tab 4 8.0 for 5 days now, I really went with it over the Tab S based on cost, $249 vs $399 for the Tab S at Best Buy.

Other than the screen on the Tab S, for my use of Tapatalk, FB, Web browsing and searching along with Amazon shopping.... I couldn't convince myself that the money spent on the S was really worth it. Is there any real compelling reason for me with my type of use to spend the money on that Tab S?

I do play a couple games like Pocket Fort, Boom Beach and Clash of Clans. The Tab 4 tablet seems to easily deal with these little games, and I don't see myself getting into high graphics racing games or anything.

I'm feeling buyers remorse for not going to the absolute latest and greatest, but then again if it's not really going to add anything to my experience, it's a bad investment. I do see that the camera on this Tab 4 sucks horribly in the house, I tried to photo my dog and the picture was very grainy and bad. I expect that the Tab S camera is much better. My Galaxy Note 2 phone takes really good pictures, it would be nice if the tablet was similar 😕

Have any of you spent time with both in real life? If so, what was your final choice?

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Samsung Note3 the note 10.1 2014 edition tablet and last night got this tablet. I love my larger tab but want a smaller one because lighter for being in my handbag. I will be using both.
If you have any remorse over the tab4 then get the S. You are the user and need to be pleased with your experience. I learned an expensive lesson and trust me get what you really want. I am fine with this little tab. Yes the camera isn't the best but it's not why I got it. I can use this at work for notes that are for my use. It's going to be perfect for my needs. I love Samsung

Posted via the Android Central App

larry0071

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Tada! The Tab 4 8.0 was returned to best buy, and I went to target (where my wife works) and for $339 got the white Galaxy Tab S 8.4.

There are subtle differences in the UI.

larry0071

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I want going to get the tab S, honestly, I thought that the tab 4 was so similar that there was no point in spending over $150 to move to the new S. Then my wife told me that Target has the S now, and being that we get the Target 10% employee discount and the Target 5% Red Card discount, I could have the the Tab S for less than $100 more than the Tab 4.... it kind of chewed at me until I broke down and did it.

I think that the Tab 4 screen is fine, and honestly, unless you set a Tab 4 and Tab S side by side you will likely not see anything that would ever make you unhappy with a Tab 4 display. When placed side by side you can see that the S is brighter, crisper and in almost every way, a little more pleasing to view, but the Tab 4 display is in no way a display that would make a person feel like they bought junk.

They both seem to run smooth and transition in and out of applications nicely. I don't see a difference worth talking about there.

The camera, while not a SLR, is a significant upgrade on the Tab S over the Tab 4. Indoor especially, the Tab 4 is essentially useless indoors for photos, and this is primarily where a Tablet is used. The addition of the flash on the Tab S is paramount, it makes the Tab S camera sufficient for non essential indoor photo taking where any casual cell phone camera would be considered good enough. Nothing replaces a real camera with real flash in these situations, but we don't all carry a SLR with remote flash and we often rely on what is in our pockets to capture the moment (or the meal?).

Battery life seemed better on the Tab 4 for my kind of use, I didn't ruin any formal tests, but I see the Tab S dropping farther/faster in 2 days than the Tab 4 did. I ALSO note that when spending 10 minutes with Boom Beach and Clash of Clans open, the Tab 4 didn't get notably warm while the Tab S does warm. Both play the games just fine, but that very noticeable warmth on the Tab S is different.

That's about all of my thoughts and observations for the moment. I hope I'm happy with the Tab S being that it is the current flagship Samsung tablet.....at least for another couple weeks. Tablets are being released in rapid succession by Samsung recently, so who knows when the Tab S will take a seat at the back of the bus?

BBGary

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,
I am debating with myself over these 2. I need a tablet for reading, viewing video files (streaming from sites like PluralSight), and occasional typing with BT keyboard. I do care about getting the latest updates, but will be OK with the tablet that just works. I am using currently ASUS TF200 and the only problem there is the quality of the wi-fi reception (not the os version - it is 4.1 there). Previously i was using iPad mini(first generation) and was happy with the size, but completely not happy with the OS.
All inputs are highly appreciated.

larry0071

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I also forgot to mention the speakers, the Tab 4 had a single rear facing speaker while the Tab S had two speakers that while held in landscape, one is the left and the other is on the right. Not only is the stereo effect way awesome on the Tab S, but the sound level from the twin speakers is hugely louder and more clear. That's huge if you like to stream video and movies, and you'll so much the louder sound and clearer sound as well as the very defined stereo effect.

BBGary

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
The videos are IT training videos, so most probably I will use headphones. Thanks for the input though. What is your opinion on Nexus7 2013?

Posted via the Android Central App