Why do My Google Voice calls go to voicemail quickly?

mlk43611

May 8, 2012
Visit site
HANGOUTS: can't answer soon enough

Hello.

Goal: To use wi-fi calling via Hangouts/Google Voice as much as possible for incoming/outgoing calls (in order to save on cell phone charges)

Problem: With incoming GV calls, my device rings but within 5 seconds goes to voicemail. I rush over to the tablet, take it off of standby, pull down the notification menu and touch the "incoming call" option, but nothing happens; I think I'm too late. There are no Hangouts/GV pop-ups on the screen to press.

My specs:

- wi-fi only Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (T330NU) device
-- android 4.4.2
-- ported my landline number to my mobile carrier (Ting/Sprint) and then over to GV
-- GV # linked to my cell phone number, forwarding to cell #, off
-- call screening, on
-- ask unknown callers to say their name, on
-- caller ID, on
-- ring hangouts for incoming calls to GV #, on
-- show SMS & voicemail in Hangouts, on

I can dial out, return miss calls via Hangouts

What am I doing wrong? Does this have anything to do with not forwarding my calls to my cell?

Thanks.

-- mk --

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: HANGOUTS: can't answer soon enough

What am I doing wrong? Does this have anything to do with not forwarding my calls to my cell?
You're trying to answer calls on your cell when they're not being sent to your cell, so that's a pretty good bet.

mlk43611

May 8, 2012
Visit site

^^^ Not quite. I'm not trying to answer on my *cell*, I'm trying to answer on my *table*, when it rings on my tablet. Maybe it's really only ringing to tell me I have a voice mail, IDK. Maybe what I hoped to do isn't achievable, IDK. I do know that some years ago, I had used another wi-fi calling app on a wi-fi only android tablet and was able to receive incoming calls. I thought I could do so with GV/HO, too.

mlk43611

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Backing up a bit, maybe my question should be, Does GV/Hangouts allow incoming calls on a wi-fi only tablet?