GF just got a Tab4 8.0...

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Kindle Fire HD. She's had a s5 phone for a month. Anything unique she needs to know about using an Android/Touchwiz tablet?

Posted via the Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Shouldn't be much of a learning curve since she already has s5. I suggest installing Nova launcher to get rid of any noticeable TW lag. If she plans on using it for music Samsung's Milk Music app is good.

Sent from my Skyrocket running Carbon 4.4.4

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks that's what I figured. I put Nova on my note 4 right out of the box. She digs touchwiz tho so we'll see.

Another question I had, which is probably a pretty common one.. How do you differentiate tablet apps and phone apps in your Google play account?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
AFAICT it doesn't show which apps were installed on tablet, phone or both. However, you can look under the all apps tab in play store and the apps that don't say installed were either installed on another device or installed then uninstalled from tablet.

Sent from my Skyrocket running Carbon 4.4.4

Last edited:

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I'll look into that. One more thing. Since it's a WiFi only non carrier version, where would android software updates come from. What version is currently available?

I feel like such a noob. I went with her to best buy expecting to just get her a new kindle and she starts looking at tablets. I am a phone nerd but I don't know anything about tablets. I usually research a bunch of stuff before I buy but She caught me off guard! I am confident tho that this tab will be a suitable replacement for an old kindle fire HD.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Updates will come from Samsung. Should get a notification when an update is available. You can also check for updates in settings > general > about device > software update.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Most apps will run on a tablet as well as a phone, About the only difference is that with a tablet the screen is much bigger any you can't make or receive calls! She will be right at home if she has an S5. You will get updates through WiFi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey