heart rate monitor horribly inaccurate?

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
It does matter where you have it on your wrist. I wear my watch on my right arm .. the heart monitor doesn't register at all - it keep telling me to clean the sensor. I swap arms and it reads OK. If you look at the position of the sensor on the back of the Neo you will see it is off-centre ... hence it works better on the left arm where the Ulnar artery sits right in line with the sensor.

Tomi Golob

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Not just that but when we used the healthy kios at work you need to keep still at that too. I think that's normal

Are you being deliberately an *****? That health kiosk is not for fitness purposes! HRM of this device completely sucks when trying to use it as Samsung advertised. It just doesn't work well!

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok, well I did NOT use a KIOSK. I had to go to the doctor the other day and figured it would be a perfect opportunity to try it out. The HR my Gear gave me was exactly what the nurse got when she took it. Right on the money. It might be noted that the instructions do say it is a resting HR. In other words, it is not designed to be used WHILE working out like some of them are. I will usually go for my walk or whatever and once I'm back and sitting down, I take it without problem. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to like you taking it if you are moving at all (such as riding in a car). So long as you know the parameters, I think it works just fine.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
doesn't matter where u have it on your wrist; if you are active you can FORGET ABOUT ACCURACY--it's out the window like a canary let out of its cage. Mine is dead accurate when holding still--accurate as in perfect. Same with the wife's watch. crazy numbers when moving around; accurate when still. that's just the way it is with this technology at the moment.

Exactly and the instructions state it is a "resting" heart rate. Not to be used while exercising. Which also makes me wonder how accurate the ones on a treadmill are. At any rate, the resting one works fine for me. If you're a serious athlete who trains using the HR, then I suggest you get a m ore sophisticated device for your needs.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Exactly and the instructions state it is a "resting" heart rate. Not to be used while exercising. Which also makes me wonder how accurate the ones on a treadmill are. At any rate, the resting one works fine for me. If you're a serious athlete who trains using the HR, then I suggest you get a m ore sophisticated device for your needs.

I can attest to using it while running. I have no intention of relying on it for any accurate HR reading, but if you are wanting a close enough reading, it can be useful while running.

In my case, when I'm trying to increase distance, or acclimate to increasing temperatures, I try to keep around 120-130 HR. The Gear 2 Neo does function well enough to give me the info I need, since it doesn't need to be very accurate.

BUT, I can't use a normal running motion. I have to make sure the watch is slid back, behind the wristbone, and I have to hold my arm in place and not swing it until the watch is done reading the heart rate.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you being deliberately an *****? That health kiosk is not for fitness purposes! HRM of this device completely sucks when trying to use it as Samsung advertised. It just doesn't work well!

Works fine to me as do most of the fitness features .... And how was I being an *** as you put it?

You need to be as still as possible for it to work. Like you are when at the doctors.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I can attest to using it while running. I have no intention of relying on it for any accurate HR reading, but if you are wanting a close enough reading, it can be useful while running.

In my case, when I'm trying to increase distance, or acclimate to increasing temperatures, I try to keep around 120-130 HR. The Gear 2 Neo does function well enough to give me the info I need, since it doesn't need to be very accurate.

BUT, I can't use a normal running motion. I have to make sure the watch is slid back, behind the wristbone, and I have to hold my arm in place and not swing it until the watch is done reading the heart rate.

Which I suppose is similar to using a scale that isn't accurate. You may not know "exactly" what you weigh, but you CAN determine if you've lost or gained weight if you use the same scale all the time.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Which I suppose is similar to using a scale that isn't accurate. You may not know "exactly" what you weigh, but you CAN determine if you've lost or gained weight if you use the same scale all the time.

Exactly. If I want an accurate measurment, I'll get a strap on heart rate monitor. No HR monitor on you arm is going to be anything more than a close approximation. I think people who are disappointed that this is supposed to be a "fitness" watch is misunderstanding the different levels of fitness, and where different devices fit in.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. If I want an accurate measurment, I'll get a strap on heart rate monitor. No HR monitor on you arm is going to be anything more than a close approximation. I think people who are disappointed that this is supposed to be a "fitness" watch is misunderstanding the different levels of fitness, and where different devices fit in.

That's kind of what I understood, that you need one of those strap on chest monitors to really be accurate when measuring heart rate DURING physical activity. If you're that serious about your workouts, you would think you would be serious enough to want the best device available for the job.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Not true that you can't have an accurate wrist mounted heart rate sensor that you can use DURING a workout. I own a garmin chest strap monitor, but recently acquired a Mio wrist mounted monitor and it is every bit as accurate as the chest strap monitor during exercise -so it can be done accurately on the wrist without requiring the user to be still during measurement. I own a Neo 2 which I like for the run statistics, but use the Mio wrist strap to record my heart rate statstics for the record to my phone. I have worn all three (neo, chest strap, and mio wrist mounted heart rate sensor) simultaneously during workouts and the chest strap and mio track heart rate within 1 to 3 bps of each other while the neo is all over the map during the same workout. At rest the neo is more consistent with the dedicated heart rate monitors, but that doesn't really serve my needs. Samsung might want to see how Mio makes this work. I really wanted to get away from the hassle of wearing a chest strap, so the mio accomplishes that goal for me, but its a one trick pony so the neo provides me with wrist mounted run statistics. Wearing the neo on my left wrist and the mio on my right is a minor issue that is worth the tradeoff of leaving the chest strap at home. If the neo could ultimately achieve the hrm accuracy of the mio in a future update (unlikely, because it is probably a hardware design issue), that would be ideal. But I can live with the two wrist mounted devices for now.

Sent from my SM-T217S using AC Forums mobile app

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I assume you mean this - Mio LINK Heart Rate Wristband - Grey | Mio LINK Heart Rate Bands | Mio Global?
All it is designed to do is measure heart rate. If that is a devices sole purpose, then yes, it should do it's one job well.
I get you were just pointing out it was possible, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. :) I think Sammy oversold the fitness aspect(especially in regards to HR monitoring).

Yes thats it. If you read my post, I think we are in violent agreement. Someone pointed out that if you want an accurate hrm, then it is unlikely that a wrist or arm mounted strap could do the job (implying that no one should have expected that the gear 2 devices should have been taken seriously as fitness hrm sensors). I agree that Sammy oversold the hrm/fitness sensor aspect of the device because it implemented the hrm feature poorly. I recognize the mio link is a one trick pony (wrist mounted hrm only and explicitly acknowleded that in my previous post) but it proves that the technology exists to implement an accurate workout worthy hrm in a wrist worn device to avoid the need for a cumbersome chest strap. If Sammy had implemented the a more sophisticated wrist worn hrm like the mio combined with othe gear 2 fitness tracking features, then i could get away from geeking out with two wrist worn devices to log my workouts just to avoid having to don a chest strap hrm and could just wear the gear 2, but Sammy failed to deliver.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

TallTravel

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I'm missing something, but it seems this device needs a transmitter over the heart (like Polar has been providing for years to their dedicated receivers) to provide real time data from the heart.

KZ1000P

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Thank you vferrari for the well thought out post; great information.

I have a Mio Link and use it with the Endomondo running app (pro subscription) on a Note 3; the problem is no display on my wrist causes me to keep checking my phone during interval running to see my HR (I also listen to the high alarm/low alarm HR tone notifications, but once I'm below or above the target range, I don't know by how much). So I recently picked up the Gear 2 Smart Watch and use it with the Endomondo app, doing the same intervals (4 minute run/1 minute walk). As shown in the attached screen shots from the app (below), the Mio Link continuous HR graph tracks my HR very well; the Gear 2 Smart Watch does not track it well unfortunately. I'm trying to manage my HR within a 140 to 150 bpm band width while running, which includes some hills, and I can do this with the Mio Link (using high/low alarm tone), but trying to do this with the Gear 2 Smart Watch is pretty difficult to do as can be seen in the graphs.

As an FYI to others, if you shut off the HR monitoring feature from the Gear 2 Smart Watch in the Endomodo app, use the Mio Link (with Endomond as normal), and the Gear 2 will display the HR from the Mio Link (and not turn on the HR back light or feature from the Gear 2 Smart Watch).

Samsung - Gear 2 Smart Watch:
View attachment 143779

Mio LINK Heart Rate Wristband:
View attachment 143784

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
As an FYI to others, if you shut off the HR monitoring feature from the Gear 2 Smart Watch in the Endomodo app, use the Mio Link (with Endomond as normal), and the Gear 2 will display the HR from the Mio Link (and not turn on the HR back light or feature from the Gear 2 Smart Watch).

Samsung - Gear 2 Smart Watch:
View attachment 143779

Mio LINK Heart Rate Wristband:
View attachment 143784

So, where does it display the HR information on the Gear 2, from the Mio? In the Endomondo app?

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my polar heart monitor for a wearable but after reading this thread it looks like I won't be able to get an accurate second by second reading of my heart rate. Is there a wearable that can read my polar chest strap or maybe a wearable that brings a chest strap or can accurately measure my heart rate?

Posted via the Android Central App

Anton Salmi1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Fitness / Heart rate review of gear 2 neo

I am a bit sad about the problems my Gear 2 Neo has tracking heart rate.

I normally use a TomTom Multisport Cardio, which uses Mio tech to get the hr from your wrist. It works, every time. It takes 5-20 seconds to find my pulse with the TT C...depending on temperature. I have compared it to garmin, Polar and Suunto hr monitors... the throwoffs in bpm are nonexistent and as an added bonus you have gps... so you can track speed, I have used it in swimming (not recommended for accurate hr), kettlebell training, at the gym and running Marathons...it has never failed me.

I did not expect much from the gear 2 neo HR monitor... but I did expect it to atleast find a heart rate. But 99% of the time...I'm obviously dead, as it can not find a pulse.

I tried using both the stock hr monitor and Endimondo... when running I have no pulse, at all... according to my sammy.
The few times I do find a pulse is when I am completely still... and even then it is 50-50.

I am a Samsung fan and will be...but the problems with Hr monitoring in the gear 2 neo will put me off from getting a new smartwatch anytime soon. I will continue using my TT C and probably get a bluetooth hr strap and pair it with the gear 2 neo as I do love the other features and especially having Endomondo on my watch.

I am not a tech wizard but I believe that the main problem with gear 2 is that the optical sensor and led are too small for accurate readings... they are about a 4th of the size of what TT C packs.

And to all helpful souls I have done all the following streps/tests:,
1. Try on inside/regular side of wrist.
2. Put strap extra extra tight.
3. Put the strap on loose.
4. Put the strap on medium tight.
5. Try higher up on the wrist.
6. Wait 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds without moving before starting hr measurement.
7. Shave hair to create bald spot for led & monitor.
8. Try using it in ambient lighting.
9. Try reeboting it.
10. Try installing the newest firmware

....and yet, my sammy never finds hr while exercising and only sometimes finds hr when at rest.

So if you want to skip a hr strap; do not buy!
Instead get a TomTom Cardio, Mio Alpha, Mio Alpha 2, Fit bit hr, Garmin Forerunner 225.

If you want a good smart watch and are prepared to pair it with a bt hr strap for fitness use...buy it, but only if it is on sale (bought mine for 99 euro which is about the same in $...no plan attached)

Samsung Scott

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I have a chest monitor and am in pretty good shape... the other day I played Ultimate and my heart rate never got over 160... i went for a brisk run last night using my wife's gear2 watch .. brisk, but no sprinting or intervals, and it said my heart rate was going over 200.... My question is this: could the rate be affected by the user's "profile" ... i mean, maybe it thought i was a 28 year old, 5'8" woman instead of a 48 year old, 6' man....

2. is there a way to recalibrate it

3. i will, of course, try this myself, but does wearing this on the "under part" (clearly, i'm no doctor) of your wrist help?

TallTravel

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a chest monitor and am in pretty good shape... the other day I played Ultimate and my heart rate never got over 160... i went for a brisk run last night using my wife's gear2 watch .. brisk, but no sprinting or intervals, and it said my heart rate was going over 200.... My question is this: could the rate be affected by the user's "profile" ... i mean, maybe it thought i was a 28 year old, 5'8" woman instead of a 48 year old, 6' man....

2. is there a way to recalibrate it

3. i will, of course, try this myself, but does wearing this on the "under part" (clearly, i'm no doctor) of your wrist help?

Look into the settings of your wife's watch. Most likely, it is set for female, a much different weight, and check the person's age while you're there.

Last edited: