How do you guys like your Gear 2 Neo?

Jeff Stroup

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving mine. I figured how to customize the screens and move icons around. This will probably be considered not very user-friendly for the average user but I'm a geek. I use my watch a lot and I'm easily getting 2-3 days of battery life. The voice commands are great and it will even respond to most questions like "What is the population of Indianapolis, Indiana." I love using the watch to make and receive short phone calls. I temporarily had the original Gear so I knew the Neo would be cool but I have to admit that the Neo has exceeded my expectations and for only $200 (I paid $250 for that Pebble Steel I'll never use again).

Now just give us more apps!

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Even with the "limited" functionality I'm getting(see thread about my S3 not recognizing), I love it! Took a couple days to go through all the menus and see notification sounds/ringtones/separate volume controls, but I'm not a user guide kind of guy. Looks like I'll be pawning the S3 off to the wife and upgrading my phone....

ray1204

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
So far I love it even though I'm using it with a HTC one M7.

Battery life seems to be as advertise.
Replaced my pebble.

I wish I could get S voice to work but will never happen on a htc one. Without that I can not text response.
Emails are still in preview mode

I hope there will be a way to sideload apps and get more functionality.

damen888

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
loving it so far but miss Watch Styler app to create own faces and the ability to add more tones. Hope this will be fixed in future updates.

LewdTenant

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I like mine as a replacement for my Body Media Fit. I've owned the same watch for 10+ years and never wear it since i use my cell phone for time. I wore the Body Media Fit for 6 months with great results but it is too cumbersome to wear constantly and draws too much attention in shirts that shows my arms. Plus BMF is $10/month

rEVOLVE

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So far I love it even though I'm using it with a HTC one M7.

Battery life seems to be as advertise.
Replaced my pebble.

I wish I could get S voice to work but will never happen on a htc one. Without that I can not text response.
Emails are still in preview mode

I hope there will be a way to sideload apps and get more functionality.

I can't consider it as a replacement to my Pebble until I get back the functionality of :
Evernote (grocery, to do lists)
XBMC control (I could play/pause, rewind, etc. from my Pebble while watching a movie in our dark projector room)
Home Automation (Vera) control. (I could trigger scenes I made such as "turn on upstairs heater 1 hr", "turn on AC" before I get home, from my watch)
Most important - with an app called Canvas I was able to custom design a watchface I would use on workdays that had a high density of info, I was able to fit time, date, temp, weather icon, next appt. date, start time,short description, audio volume state, connected wifi SSID, phone signal level, phone battery level, watch battery level. Do you think this will be possible when custom watchfaces are available?

Otherwise its a lot of nice, flashy features but doesn't have the utility I need out of a smartwatch.

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Nova launcher wouldn't affect the OS your device runs. As long as you can get the gear manager app to your device see post #3 about someone using the gear with an m7. Also you can look on AC and smartwatch fans for parts on getting the og gear working on the nexus 5.
Tl;dr If you can run gear manager you shouldn't have any problems using gear devices.

taeisme

Trusted Member
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Loving my Neo! Its my first smartwatch and its so much fun and it makes my life a lot essier without having to whip out my Note 3 all the time. I look forward to see what apps will be come available because I am a huge fan of Evernote.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

doboYeee

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Loving my Neo! Its my first smartwatch and its so much fun and it makes my life a lot essier without having to whip out my Note 3 all the time. I look forward to see what apps will be come available because I am a huge fan of Evernote.

I have the note 3 as well and the neo makes it so much easier for me to check my notifications while I'm in class or answering a phone call while driving. I love my note 3 but it is a chore to whip out constantly to check notifications

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's where I stand on my new gear 2. I love the idea about it and I love having quick access to my messages. With that said it leaves much to be desired.

My fitbit knew when I was sleeping I didn't have to tell it and press a button to start.

my pebble showed my whole message and not just a snippet. on the gear 2 I have to touch the messages to go read them.

The S-Health app and Fineness with Gear app don't play nice together. Plus I'm still trying to figure out why they even made two apps and didn't just integrate everything in the first place.

The automatic on doesn't aways work. On the pebble I just needed to shake it. I would like to see Samsung go in that direction.

The gear 2 does everything okay but not great and I'm still deciding on if I'm going to take it back before my 14 days are up.

Via Tapatalk SGN3

Last edited:

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine about a week ago and I like it so far. Looks like there are a few issues that I pointed out on a few forums and the Samsung review the day after buying it. Some have been addressed, others I guess I'll have to wait for a software update. The battery life is good, functionality is friendly for the most part, taking calls from the watch is easy and people on the other end can't tell I'm using the Neo (just make sure you're in a quiet place to hear the other person. Media controller is cool and works pretty seamlessly with the stock loaded music player on your phone, I've tried it with PowerAmp and it's a bit quirky. Here are my gripes....

-Out of the box, good luck getting the weather app to update when you click the refresh button. Looks like this bug was fixed with the Gear Manager update.
-Out of the box, you have a laundry list of apps where you can receive notifications. After the update, that list is significantly smaller and some that I used before the update are gone such as GMAIL, WhatsAPP, and K-9 Mail. Not sure why they got rid of 3rd party app notifications, but they need to bring it back.
-If you are dead set on using S Health and the pedometer feature, use it on the Gear rather than on your phone. Neither are very accurate, because all it tracks is physical movement and not steps. I shook my s5 and it registered 9 steps....
-S Voice seems to work pretty well when responding to text messages, I have yet to have any problems with that feature. I just typically wouldn't use it if I'm out in public or in an area with noise. It only works with the stock messenger app, which I hate because it looks too cookie cutter.
-They need to allow you to customize icon colors, rather than just the clock color.
-Lastly, the gallery....why is it even available on the Neo if you can't upload images?? They give you the option of uploading music, but you can't upload images rendering the gallery completely useless.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the gallery on the Neo, I believe that you can load images via USB file transfer. Would be nice to send them straight from phone. Maybe with the next update!

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
-They need to allow you to customize icon colors, rather than just the clock color.
-Lastly, the gallery....why is it even available on the Neo if you can't upload images?? They give you the option of uploading music, but you can't upload images rendering the gallery completely useless.

The shake wake - up feature available on the Pebble would be handy on the Gear 2. Agreed.

Being able to change icon colors would be cool. Agreed.

In terms of the gallery on the Neo, for now you can use USB. Per U4icLab's solution in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...382428-gallery-gear-2-neo-how-add-photos.html

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The shake wake - up feature available on the Pebble would be handy on the Gear 2. Agreed.

Being able to change icon colors would be cool. Agreed.

In terms of the gallery on the Neo, for now you can use USB. Per U4icLab's solution in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...382428-gallery-gear-2-neo-how-add-photos.html

Good find. It's weird that songs can be transferred via bluetooth, but you need a wired connection for images.

Has anyone noticed that the 3rd party apps available for notifications disappeared after the gear manager update? No more Gmail, etc...

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Good find. It's weird that songs can be transferred via bluetooth, but you need a wired connection for images.

Has anyone noticed that the 3rd party apps available for notifications disappeared after the gear manager update? No more Gmail, etc...

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

How is it possible that there are no notifications for Gmail???? seriously??