Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By soboness5
  • 1 Post By ihbsbA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I wish there was a notification indicator on home screen

Maybe I am doing this wrong but if I do not see the notification pop up on screen I will not know I have any new notifications unless I swipe to the notifications app.

I wish I on the clock page a tiny notification symbol would appear to let me know I have a new notification
    Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

Default Re: I wish there was a notification indicator on home screen

Agreed.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

You are in luck! Go to the Gear Manager > Home Screen styler > clock tab. Then select the shortcut clock and go to the settings by hitting the Gear icon. Then select your shortcut icons... One of which can be notifications. New notifications will show an orange number icon. Likewise, if you put your messages or email icon on the home screen, they'll show new notification numbers as well.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanked by 3:
    raremage likes this.

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soboness5 View Post
    You are in luck! Go to the Gear Manager > Home Screen styler > clock tab. Then select the shortcut clock and go to the settings by hitting the Gear icon. Then select your shortcut icons... One of which can be notifications. New notifications will show an orange number icon. Likewise, if you put your messages or email icon on the home screen, they'll show new notification numbers as well.
    Hope this helps!
    This was the first thing I did - we notification freaks need to know what we have waiting.. Now my problem is that I will have a 4 or 5 on that icon and never felt a thing.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ihbsbA View Post
    This was the first thing I did - we notification freaks need to know what we have waiting.. Now my problem is that I will have a 4 or 5 on that icon and never felt a thing.
    I'm assuming you already found the vibration strength setting? I think it defaults to 'strong', but worth checking if you haven't. I miss notifications from time to time, too, especially if I'm moving, or if my my stronger phone vibration distracts me.

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts

That's probably what had happened, I was moving around and didn't feel it. I'm going to go audible for a day and see if I can stand it. And yes, I had found the strength setting...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ihbsbA View Post
    That's probably what had happened, I was moving around and didn't feel it. I'm going to go audible for a day and see if I can stand it. And yes, I had found the strength setting...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    I found audio to be too distracting, and sort of subtracting from the more subtle intent (IMHO) of being able to feel the notification, glance at it, and return to a meeting/conversation with minimal distraction from the people I am interacting with. If my watch vibrates and I glance down, chances are they haven't seen it as me breaking my attention away from them for something that could be trivial (what? More surfing squirrel video from my wife?). If there's an alert sound that I immediately react to, people tend to notice.

I've found that I get most of my notifications. Sure, sometimes I miss one or two, but it's much better than when I just relied on my Smartphone. Setting to vibrate or silent in a meeting I would constantly miss information. In some cases, things I wished I known about a half hour sooner sat idle while I was blissfully unaware.

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    I found audio to be too distracting, and sort of subtracting from the more subtle intent (IMHO) of being able to feel the notification, glance at it, and return to a meeting/conversation with minimal distraction from the people I am interacting with. If my watch vibrates and I glance down, chances are they haven't seen it as me breaking my attention away from them for something that could be trivial (what? More surfing squirrel video from my wife?). If there's an alert sound that I immediately react to, people tend to notice.

I've found that I get most of my notifications. Sure, sometimes I miss one or two, but it's much better than when I just relied on my Smartphone. Setting to vibrate or silent in a meeting I would constantly miss information. In some cases, things I wished I known about a half hour sooner sat idle while I was blissfully unaware.
    Good point... lol@surfing squirrel..... heh And yes, we are Pavlov's dog...the notification bell rings and we salivate. :-/
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I like to have my events on the home page. too bad I cannot get a notification indicator too
    Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

Quote Originally Posted by worldsoutro View Post
    I like to have my events on the home page. too bad I cannot get a notification indicator too
    By "events", do you mean schedule? Why not use the shortcut clock? At least until custom watch face are available.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by lizardchest View Post
    By "events", do you mean schedule? Why not use the shortcut clock? At least until custom watch face are available.
    I could but i do like looking down at my watch and seeing my next event like a upcoming meeting.

Have you tried "dynamic notifications"? Displays on screen with minimal battery drain

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

I hear ya. I'm trying to temper my frustration at lack of customization with patience. Add to that that @samsungsupport can't figure out why my S3 running 4.3 shows as not compatible with the gear manager.... on top of THAT, all the people complaining about the limited app options when I can't even see ANY!... But I digress.

As many members have stated, it's only been out a week and a half. Support should/will be coming soon. I, too, wish that at least some of the purported apps would be available at launch. Stuck between impatience with progress and the joy of being "one of the first owners". <sigh>

I want:
    - notifications count
    - pedometer status
    - next upcoming event

on my home screen... And the clock, of course!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Hufza View Post
    I want:
    - notifications count
    - pedometer status
    - next upcoming event

on my home screen... And the clock, of course!
    Hear hear!