If so was it worth it?
If so was it worth it?
I had the gear for about two days before returning it. Very much a rushed product. Compared to the first, it's much much better. Better design, better feel, and less stupid looking. You'll be pleased.
I've had a Pebble, the Galaxy Gear and now the Gear 2. I definitely think the Gear 2 is the best. There are pros and cons to each and everyone has an opinion, but as for me, I'm a Gear 2 man. There has been much discussion about the lack of apps, but having had the other two devices, I know that comes with the territory when you buy a device this close to its release. Unlike others, I don't believe Tizen is going away, Samsung is ready to start testing Tizen smartphones in International markets and apps should flood in. I also think stylistically, the Gear 2 is head and shoulders above its predecessor.
But again, everyone has an opinion and all of that is up for debate (which I keep telling myself I am going to stop doing - with little success).
That being said, it's important to note I dig having flagship devices. I may be shallow, but I like having the newest, coolest and sexiest technology. So if the Moto360 is amazing, or Samsung releases something new - say a curved display running AndroidWear, I'll have my preorder in and this device sold or given away in no time.
So far I love my Gear 1 (especially with the 150+ watch faces via the Watch Styler app). But I really HATE my Gear 2 which basically does NOTHING for me.
* No Watch Styler (yet anyway)
* No hourly chime
* No swipe up shortcut for camera
* I get NO notifications due to New Gear Manager (plugin 2) crashing every time I try to open it (said by Samsung tech support to be due to the massive amount of apps on Note 3).
* Of course NONE of my favorite Android app are available right now since the new Gear is Tizen.
* WatchOn app does not work with my basic Comcast cable boxes
* Most of all...switching from Gear 2 (Tizen) back to Gear 1 is a pain in the ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sometimes takes over an hour, literally to reconnect the Gear 1.
Due to these problems, especially the last one, I am hesitant to even use my Gear 2 much. I am basically waiting on updates to fix these problems. So I am NOT happy with my Gear 2 at all which is unfortunate since all of my other Samsung products ROCK (Galaxy S3, Note 2, Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014 edition)! Hopefully Sammy will get this one right soon. The ONLY thing I like about Tizen and the new Gear is the really long battery life...it lasts for a few days now which is great.
Great comments on both sides of the issue here. I would hit up Samsung Support with your comments as sometimes they make it to the DEV team. I work in the tech field and when customers make "feature requests", we send many of them to the staff for consideration.