My Hopes...Android...Moto 360...

Brent Boyens

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Gear 2 Folks,
So I like my Gear 2 a lot. I get lots of questions about it and I kinda of use the cup half full mentality....more people using this tech the better I guess...

My justification in buying a Tizen (why oh why not use Android) smartwatch is I am assuming that when Moto 360 is released with their beautiful Google Now Android UI, someone will figure out a way for all of us to side-load or flash onto the Gear 2. Kinda like how someone on youtube was able to install the Google Glass .apk onto the original Galaxy Gear.

So whose with me on this? Am I delusional :confused:?

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'll pose this question: why does it matter?

If my Smartwatch works as the companion device I need and lets me get notifications, answer or dismiss a call, see my schedule, check on my newsfeed, and tell time (plus add in make a call, send text messages, pedometer, etcetera) why do I care if it runs Android or Tizen...?

Hufza

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
If we could get Android Wear into Gear 2, maybe the selection of apps would increase much faster? I am a bit afraid of that the developers would choose to develop for Android Wear rather than Tizen...?

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I am with you on the glass half full but my plan is to dump the gear on ebay, take the loss and go ahead with the androidwear. Getting android on the gear will likely require a lot of work and I have my doubts that the development community is strong enough to make this realistic.

rEVOLVE

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I have to treat my Neo like a 1st gen device since moving to Tizen means pretty much starting over for all the apps. I'm resigned to the idea of not depending on potential or unreleased functionality and what it does is what it does - anything they add in the future will be gravy. Samsung is terrible at supporting their own products - this is from someone who's purchased and used GS3, GS4, Note 2, Note 3, Note 8, etc ONLY because 3rd party Devs pick up the slack - not sure if this will happen with Tizen. To me, it's a stopgap until Android Wear as it's currently the best watch with a mic/speaker - I use the IR a lot w/ my home theater as well, although I wish more devices were supported by WatchOn (namely my HTPC/XBMC and my receiver).

My hope is eventually there is enough dev support to get the better functions missing from other platforms like Pebble and eventually Android Wear onto this device. The current state of support is not encouraging, though.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have until May 16th to return this and I am leaning towards doing that. I just feel the notification system is not good at the moment. Hangouts, which I use alot of will def integrate and look better on android wear. I do not want to use S voice. I have been looking over moto 360 the last few days and the design is beautiful. There will be a much bigger development environment for android wear.

If this wasnt $300 I would think about keeping it but its too much

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pebble Steel since I don't use a Samsung phone. I'm really looking forward to the Moto 360. That, plus a Nexus phone, would be perfect.

Posted via Android Central App

gglez

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If we could get Android Wear into Gear 2, maybe the selection of apps would increase much faster? I am a bit afraid of that the developers would choose to develop for Android Wear rather than Tizen...?

I heard that androidwear will have no standalone capabilities and will just give you notifications. Does that mean that it will no apps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel