Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WTH??? Gear 2 not compatible with Note 2 on 4.3 [as told to me by Samsung tech]

are they kidding me?? samsung says I have to have 4.4 in order to use the gear 2!!!!!

No where on the Amazon product page is this nonsense about 4.4 listed. it just lists the phones it is supposedly compatible with. talked about a cluster-f.

I have no way to download the Gear Manager. can anyone confirm this info re the requirement for 4.4

Not only that, i can't find "samsung apps" on my phone. i have to go to a web browser, but gear manager isnt available and the web link in the watch insert doesn't work ( an alternative way to get Gear Manager)

FIXED AND EXPLAINED IN LATER POST.
    Last edited by 1812dave; 05-01-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Samsung Note 2 and Gear 2

Default Re: WTH??? Gear 2 not compatible with Note 2 on 4.3

I'm pretty sure I've seen users who have the Note 2 and I'm sure they were 4.3, because 4.4 hasn't even rolled out for the Note 2 yet has it? If it has, it is only a few carriers in recent days...and again, I'm pretty sure I saw users right after launch. Maybe your Samsung rep had bad info? I would wait to see if there is more response to this thread.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

then that means the samsung rep is a total MORON! i still see no way to get gear manager and why don't i have Samsung Apps on my phone, or is it ONLY a website?

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    then that means the samsung rep is a total MORON! i still see no way to get gear manager and why don't i have Samsung Apps on my phone, or is it ONLY a website?
    Dude, I completely feel your pain. Samsung has done horrible employee training. I got different answers from Samsung phone, Twitter, Samsung Experience at BB..different answers depending on the person I was talking to. After a factory reset, downloading the gear manager all from xda, I was able to access the samsung apps from within gear manager. After getting a replacement s3, I was able to download gear manager from the legit samsung app store. Running 4.3. US Cell replaced my S3 for other reasons, but Sammy wanted me to send them my phone, with no replacement, to troubleshoot ot after a week and a half of trying their "clear cache" fixes. The problem is with your specific phone. You CAN run it on 4.3. Absolutely. Try being hardcore with your carrier. They should replace their malfunctioning product. After getting a brand new S3, my Samsung Apps/Gear Manager works flawlessly. Reiterating, I have an S3, running 4.3, and it works. You do NOT need 4.4. Stay strong, my friend, and non illegitimi carborundum!!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

i'm on verizon support now and they are going to call samsung. i can't get the website "www.apps.samsung.com/gear2" to come up on pc or phone, to get gear manager!

I have a bluetooth connection to the gear 2 as "phone audio" (ie, the BT profile). no other option exists. is that correct?

You need to access that website from your phone, pc won't work. BT connection should be automatic, from the Gear Manager app, which probably doesn't help you much at the time. Not sure about any profile type connection. ..
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by lizardchest View Post
    You need to access that website from your phone, pc won't work. BT connection should be automatic, from the Gear Manager app, which probably doesn't help you much at the time. Not sure about any profile type connection. ..
    ive tried from phone, using FF and dolphin. many times. page doesn't exist

i finally got a page by not putting in "www"
    UPDATE> got gear manager by downloading chrome pretty weird that samsung didn't mention that only certain browsers are able to work with the samsung site for downloading gear manager
    Last edited by 1812dave; 04-30-2014 at 08:19 PM.

I take it you have this issue resolved? This was not correct? Your other posts lead me to believe your Gear 2 is working with your phone.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

it's been fixed. i had the bad luck of having spoken with a Samsung tech who didn't know what he was talking about re the failure of me getting Gear Manager to download (claiming it was because I had 4.3, a clear screw up on his part). my basic issue was 1) wondering if "Samsung Apps" was an APP or something on the web and 2) using the wrong browser caused that site not to work (crazy, but happened with Dolphin and FF).