Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jpriest007
  • 1 Post By JimSmith94
  • 1 Post By 1812dave
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Heart rate monitor

I just found out that the heart rate monitor is accurate. I was at the doctors office yesterday and while they were taking the normal check in vitals. The Gear 2 Neo's heart rate and the doctors were spot on the same.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Default Re: Heart rate monitor

Quote Originally Posted by jpriest007 View Post
    I just found out that the heart rate monitor is accurate. I was at the doctors office yesterday and while they were taking the normal check in vitals. The Gear 2 Neo's heart rate and the doctors were spot on the same.
    I've found the watch to be very accurate when taking measurements while being perfectly still. However, it's horribly inaccurate (about +/- 50 BPM off) once you start any kind of moderate exercise (i.e. jogging, hiking, etc).

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by jpriest007 View Post
    Thanks, that's reassuring. I just got out of the hospital for an ablation to fix an atrial flutter. My heart rate had dropped into the 30s and I didn't notice it but my regular doctor did at a regular appointment. My Gear 2 is on its way and checking my heart rate will be one of the many uses I plan for it.

I mentioned that a couple days ago. My HR monitor is identical to counting pulse manually. From complaints I'd read about online, I thought the HR feature was a total gimmick.
    JimSmith94 likes this.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I mentioned that a couple days ago. My HR monitor is identical to counting pulse manually. From complaints I'd read about online, I thought the HR feature was a total gimmick.
    It's gimmicky insofar that it doesn't perform as Samsung advertised. Those complaints aren't from people stating the HRM cannot take a pulse while standing still. They are complaints from people using the monitor while active. The S5 can also take your heart rate and provide an accurate reading while standing still but is useless at continuous heart rate tracking while exercising (for obvious reasons). The benefit to having an HR monitor strapped to your wrist is that you can monitor and track your exercise sessions. The Gear 2 does not accomplish that as advertised. Just taking a random pulse while standing still? It's 100% on the money. But again, this is not how Samsung marketed their new line of "fitness" trackers.

Quote Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
    It's gimmicky insofar that it doesn't perform as Samsung advertised. Those complaints aren't from people stating the HRM cannot take a pulse while standing still. They are complaints from people using the monitor while active. The S5 can also take your heart rate and provide an accurate reading while standing still but is useless at continuous heart rate tracking while exercising (for obvious reasons). The benefit to having an HR monitor strapped to your wrist is that you can monitor and track your exercise sessions. The Gear 2 does not accomplish that as advertised. Just taking a random pulse while standing still? It's 100% on the money. But again, this is not how Samsung marketed their new line of "fitness" trackers.
    Yes, I understand what you are saying. It's fine when still, but otherwise problematic.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I find the HR on the neo to be good up to 120 then it starts to way over count apx 30+ on the upper side of things. If you have very hairy arms it can also mess up your HR readings

I think it's how you have it on your wrist...