Super high EMF radiation from my Gear 2 NEO

giliav

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I just got my gear 2 neo a couple of days ago and it's pretty sweat.
I've used my professional radiation meter (Cornet) and measured it's EMF radiation just to be sure.
I got up to 1000mw/m2 when I placed it where my hand is supposed to be! That's about 1000x the maximum health recommendation in the EU which is crazy!
I measure my S4 and it didn't even reach 50-60mw/m2 so I'm guessing the BT on the NEO is class 1 meaning super high output.
When I turn off BT on the NEO the EMF drops to 0.2-0.4mw/m2 which is safe. But that means my smartwatch becomes a "dumb watch" :-(

To be honest that's a deal breaker for me as I won't risk strapping a potential cancer generator to my hand so I've re-boxed it and listed it for sale.

Did any of you think about that aspect? Maybe Samsung can provide a patch that will allow controlling the output level of the BT?
Any other way to protect against this EMF radiation you guys found?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Get yourself a lead housing for the watch. oh wait, that might attenuate the BT signal somewhat. :)

I'm not to worried (as in "not worried at all") about this, as I used to own a Tritium watch. If that sucker didn't give me cancer, I think I'm good to go.

mustc

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
This would concern me as well. However, I have got to believe that there are BT requirements for both cell phones and wearables. Who would regulate something like that: FCC or FTC?

giliav

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I solved it Today... I sold the watch (too risky and not worth the risk for the current usage I have for it).
The FCC amazingly approves up to 100000mw/m2 as being "ok" even though new health recommendations is about 1mw/m2.
I'm not that of an expert but I've done a lot of reading about it since getting my Gear 2 and I was somewhat amazed to discover this.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I solved it Today... I sold the watch (too risky and not worth the risk for the current usage I have for it).
The FCC amazingly approves up to 100000mw/m2 as being "ok" even though new health recommendations is about 1mw/m2.
I'm not that of an expert but I've done a lot of reading about it since getting my Gear 2 and I was somewhat amazed to discover this.

Not to put you in the same category as either 1) paranoid, or 2) anxiety-ridden, but keep in mind that med students feel they have some of the diseases that they study. Reading can cause problems where none should exist when one searches specifically to prove a point as somewhere out there there will be a point of view that coincides with one's perception. It could be accurate, or it just might be bogus info.

I don't jump out of functioning aircraft, bungee jump, or stand in traffic, but I'm not going to get worked up about a BT watch's emissions.

gglez

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
wow thanks for letting me know, and to think I was going to get this because I was worried about the radiation from my phone and didn't want to keep it on me at all times.

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I've used my professional radiation meter (Cornet) and measured it's EMF radiation just to be sure.
I got up to 1000mw/m2 when I placed it where my hand is supposed to be! That's about 1000x the maximum health recommendation in the EU which is crazy!
I measure my S4 and it didn't even reach 50-60mw/m2 so I'm guessing the BT on the NEO is class 1 meaning super high output.
When I turn off BT on the NEO the EMF drops to 0.2-0.4mw/m2 which is safe. But that means my smartwatch becomes a "dumb watch" :-(

To be honest that's a deal breaker for me as I won't risk strapping a potential cancer generator to my hand so I've re-boxed it and listed it for sale.

Did any of you think about that aspect? Maybe Samsung can provide a patch that will allow controlling the output level of the BT?

I was actually surprised at how far the BT transmission is on the Gear 2. I can literally be up on my third floor rooftop deck on my house while my phone was at the ground floor... and the watch didn't lose connection with my Note 3. My Lenovo can't even keep a BT connection to my stereo more than 30 feet (half way up to my second floor it's already disconnected).

Having said that, I'm sure the level of radiation is harmless. Just don't strap the watch around your nuts and you'll be fine.

jrog28

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I was actually surprised at how far the BT transmission is on the Gear 2. I can literally be up on my third floor rooftop deck on my house while my phone was at the ground floor... and the watch didn't lose connection with my Note 3. My Lenovo can't even keep a BT connection to my stereo more than 30 feet (half way up to my second floor it's already disconnected).

Having said that, I'm sure the level of radiation is harmless. Just don't strap the watch around your nuts and you'll be fine.

Thats a deal breaker! I planned on strapping mine exclusively to my nuts!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

A couple rooms away I lose BT connection (it reconnects readily when I get close enough). Are you referring to pretty much line of sight or just a single wall?

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
A couple rooms away I lose BT connection (it reconnects readily when I get close enough). Are you referring to pretty much line of sight or just a single wall?

Three stories up and it still connects. Granted there is a stairway which is technically open where the signal has the lowest path of resistance... but I'm not standing anywhere near the stairway and I'll still have a connection. Line of site (like in an open park) it's probably a good 200+ feet before it disconnects.

giliav

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Guys I had no intention of trolling as I do think the Gear 2 is amazing. That said - you must think about how it manages to keep connected that far off - physics claim it must be made possible via using more energy (as in EMF). I do suggest you read about BT Class 1 (which I am assuming is what Samsung used here as it demonstrates the range).
Is the radiation harmful? I guess time will tell. You may call me chicken but I have kids and I rather not take the risk and strap a high level EMF device to my hand 24x7.
I seriously hope Samsung will provide a firmware that will allow controlling the range intensity (similar to what every Wifi router has in its settings these days).

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Guys I had no intention of trolling as I do think the Gear 2 is amazing. That said - you must think about how it manages to keep connected that far off - physics claim it must be made possible via using more energy (as in EMF). I do suggest you read about BT Class 1 (which I am assuming is what Samsung used here as it demonstrates the range).
Is the radiation harmful? I guess time will tell. You may call me chicken but I have kids and I rather not take the risk and strap a high level EMF device to my hand 24x7.
I seriously hope Samsung will provide a firmware that will allow controlling the range intensity (similar to what every Wifi router has in its settings these days).

Didn't think you were trolling at all. I agree that there should be a way to limit its range. The feature that automatically locks your phone when you're not near your phone is useless to me. I'd prefer that it forces a password if I'm any more than 20 feet away line of sight. Anything more than that and the security feature loses its value. I can literally be five or six offices away from my office and my phone sits on my desk and won't lock. Still, it's better to have too much range than too little.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
...you must think about how it manages to keep connected that far off - physics claim it must be made possible via using more energy (as in EMF). I do suggest you read about BT Class 1 (which I am assuming is what Samsung used here as it demonstrates the range).

The Gear uses Bluetooth 4.0 LE (low energy). Bluetooth Class II version v2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate).

I get about 40 feet in my apartment with one door closed between my phone and my Gear 2. I could never go 200 feet without it disconnecting. Not even close.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

You could check this site out and consider one of these pendants to help stabilize or reduce the amount of emf radiation that your body is absorbing. I too believe it exists but also at some point we as humans do need to either compromise and hope for the best or take precautions versus extremes. .. Check this site out http://emfblues.com/ .

Posted via Android Central App

giliav

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Gear 2 neo Limb SAR: 0.112 W/Kg

Front of Face SAR: 0.009 W/Kg

Posted via Android Central App

I checked and the numbers are correct (taken from Samsung's site). That is totally INSANE!
Consider that the Galaxy S4 reports a SAR of 0.42 W/KG when you put it on your ear (head) - i.e. in the peak of using it.
The GEAR SAR radiation is nearly 3xHIGHER and is constantly boadcasting on your hand! :-O

If you insist on using it I'd say at least wear it on your less used hand. Just in case...