*POLL* Smart Watches of the future...

Would you use a stand-alone smart watch as your primary cell phone?

• Total voters

MattKerwin

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello all.

I'm about 2 weeks in using my gear 2 and have been loving every minute of it. I am excited to see how many apps will come out and expand the uses.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend which sparked my idea for this poll....

In the age of tablets and wearable teach, if a smartwatch came out that could function as a stand-alone device for your cell phone, would you make the switch of do you need to have the phone in support?

Curious on peoples thoughts :-$

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't like small screens such as the iPhone's, so "no" I wouldn't be content not having a 5+" screen with me. I suppose IF I could quickly switch a SIM equipped watch in and out of my account (in like a few seconds) I'd sometimes opt to have just the watch with me, but if it's a hassle or expense to do that, than I've got to stick with having a traditional cell phone.

The small screen is OK for what it does currently ( I can read it easily) but for all my other needs, I need a larger screen.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I need a large screen, so no.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Saccs

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I've had an actual phone watch before and it was ok... Probably would have enjoyed it more if I were to able to get a strong signal but I can say as of now the phone/watch combo is working our great.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Ikeman90

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
oh god no. the voice texting isnt 100% accurate just yet and sometimes you cant say outload what you need to text *wink wink*, i enjoy watching things may it be youtube or netflix during my commute. and theres plenty more. even if i could eventually do anything i can on the phone with the watch the screen is too small. unless it got really fiction movie futuristic and projected an image that somehow only i can see

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I am with Dave I do NOT want to go back to a small screen. But for bike riding or a short outing, I would like the option of leaving my Note 3 at home and just using my watch. But for the majority of the time, I have to have my Note 3 (love the screen size).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I am struggling to answer. Undoubtedly, as a Note 3 user, I demand a large screen. I could never use a watch as my sole smart device. That said, the question asks if I could use a watch as my primary cell phone. Well, that's a different matter. But probably no. Now, could I use a standalone watch/cell phone while concurrently using a standalone cell phone/smart device? Yes, I think so. It would be handy to run to the store or go to the park with no smart phone in tow. A Samsung SIM enabled watch called the Gear 2 solo is headed to India and I will pick one of those up if they hit the US market...as long as I could use one number on both devices with no need to forward calls. I'm not worried about the cost of another line, but I don't want the hassle of managing two personal cell numbers. A Google voice number may offer the solution. That's my two (six) cents, lol.

dimakan

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
For me ideal futuristic combo would be something like watch + Google glass. Glass would fill the need for a large screen and watch would serve as a remote control for glasses. Like a mini mousepad. One could then browse the large screen of the Glass inconspicuously by gliding a finger over the watchface. I already wear prescription glasses, so switching to Google glass (if it was made to look less dorky) would be a breeze.

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am struggling to answer. Undoubtedly, as a Note 3 user, I demand a large screen. I could never use a watch as my sole smart device. That said, the question asks if I could use a watch as my primary cell phone. Well, that's a different matter. But probably no. Now, could I use a standalone watch/cell phone while concurrently using a standalone cell phone/smart device? Yes, I think so. It would be handy to run to the store or go to the park with no smart phone in tow. A Samsung SIM enabled watch called the Gear 2 solo is headed to India and I will pick one of those up if they hit the US market...as long as I could use one number on both devices with no need to forward calls. I'm not worried about the cost of another line, but I don't want the hassle of managing two personal cell numbers. A Google voice number may offer the solution. That's my two (six) cents, lol.

Great. When I go surfing in the near future I'm going to have to hear ladies yapping away on their watches. I'm pretty convinced you work for Samsung. You just confirmed what was mostly a rumor across many tech sites.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Much as I love my Gear 2, I can't see using it as my main phone. Geez, I already think the iPhone is to small. I could see maybe having a stand-alone one that was only geared toward things suitable for a small screen (like now) but I'd still need something to do actual work on.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Great. When I go surfing in the near future I'm going to have to hear ladies yapping away on their watches. I'm pretty convinced you work for Samsung. You just confirmed what was mostly a rumor across many tech sites.

Which begs the question, Is it not possible to have two cell phones sharing the same number? I can totally see a use for this. It would simply be like having multiple phone extensions in your house only a mobile version of it.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Oh PJ, such a conspiracy theorist. I was just recalling what I had read here over a week ago. Samsung’s SIM-enabled Tizen Gear 2 Solo Smart watch heads toward India | Tizen Experts

I don't work for Samsung. You have called me a Samsung fanboy (amongst many other names). Well, yes. I am a boy and I am a fan of Samsung. Just like some people only own Apple (which I don't understand), at present, I only own Samsung. My TV, my Blu-ray, my home theatre system, my watch, my tablets and my phone. I find their products innovative, intuitive, smart, beautiful and fair in price. They have earned my trust.

A fan? Yep.
A Samsung employee spying on the forum and spouting Korean propaganda? No.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Which begs the question, Is it not possible to have two cell phones sharing the same number? I can totally see a use for this. It would simply be like having multiple phone extensions in your house only a mobile version of it.

Yes.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en
Google Voice will let you define which phones ring, based on who's calling, and even let you ListenInTM on voicemail before answering the call. We use smart technology to route your calls. So, if you're already on a Google Voice call, we'll recognize it and use call waiting to reach you on the phone you're on.

How-to:
1. Make Google Voice number ring multiple phones at once.
Your Google Voice number is capable of ringing on your landline, mobile phone, and computer simultaneously. It?s also customizable by the time of day, so all of your phones don?t ring when you?re at home in the evening. To ring multiple lines:

Click Settings > Voice Settings.
Click Phones. You?ll either see a list of devices currently connected to your Google Voice number or you?ll be prompted to add a phone.
If you already have forwarding phones listed, make sure the box next to them is checked. Otherwise, click Add Another Phone.
Give the phone number a name and specify a type?mobile, home, work, or gizmo.
Click Show Advanced Settings to access voicemail options and the ring schedule. You can schedule Always/Never Ring on weekdays and/or weekends, or specify a custom schedule for both.
-Source 10 Tips For Using Google Voice - LAPTOP Magazine: The Pulse of Mobile Technology

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh PJ, such a conspiracy theorist. I was just recalling what I had read here over a week ago. Samsung?€™s SIM-enabled Tizen Gear 2 Solo Smart watch heads toward India | Tizen Experts

I don't work for Samsung. You have called me a Samsung fanboy (amongst many other names). Well, yes. I am a boy and I am a fan of Samsung. Just like some people only own Apple (which I don't understand), at present, I only own Samsung. My TV, my Blu-ray, my home theatre system, my watch, my tablets and my phone. I find their products innovative, intuitive, smart, beautiful and fair in price. They have earned my trust.

A fan? Yep.

My feelings re Samsung are mixed. I've had tons of trouble with a Samsung clothes washer, got no help from them over a period of about 2 years and the only things that have gotten fixed (I wanted it replaced as a "lemon") are those that independent repairman have fixed (under both original warranty and an extended one).

I've got a couple of their DLP's which I really like and have had just 2 problems with them over the years.

Love the Note 2. And the watch is "OK".

I guess what I'd say about Samsung is that I don't like their support, but their products pretty much suit me. In case anyone here remembers, Samsung tech support told me that I had to have 4.4x on my Note 2 instead of 4.3 so I nearly sent the watch back to Amazon. THAT is about as ridiculous as it gets with regards to their tech "support".

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Yes.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en
Google Voice will let you define which phones ring, based on who's calling, and even let you ListenInTM on voicemail before answering the call. We use smart technology to route your calls. So, if you're already on a Google Voice call, we'll recognize it and use call waiting to reach you on the phone you're on.

How-to:
1. Make Google Voice number ring multiple phones at once.
Your Google Voice number is capable of ringing on your landline, mobile phone, and computer simultaneously. It’s also customizable by the time of day, so all of your phones don’t ring when you’re at home in the evening. To ring multiple lines:

Click Settings > Voice Settings.
Click Phones. You’ll either see a list of devices currently connected to your Google Voice number or you’ll be prompted to add a phone.
If you already have forwarding phones listed, make sure the box next to them is checked. Otherwise, click Add Another Phone.
Give the phone number a name and specify a type—mobile, home, work, or gizmo.
Click Show Advanced Settings to access voicemail options and the ring schedule. You can schedule Always/Never Ring on weekdays and/or weekends, or specify a custom schedule for both.
-Source 10 Tips For Using Google Voice - LAPTOP Magazine: The Pulse of Mobile Technology

Ok, I hadn't actually thought of that even though I do use Google Voice. My question was mainly for non-Google Voice use but you do entertain a good idea. I never thought if that.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Oh PJ, such a conspiracy theorist. I was just recalling what I had read here over a week ago. Samsung?€™s SIM-enabled Tizen Gear 2 Solo Smart watch heads toward India | Tizen Experts

A fan? Yep.

Well, I for one am slowly going the way of Samsung as well. I have their Note 3, their Gear 2 and their Tab 3 10.1in tablet and I can clearly see a day not to far off when I will have one of their smart tv's. I like the design of their stuff and I don't have to feel such a prisoner of the technology like when I tried Apple. Their technical support can be a little "iffy" at times, but I have found the in-store guys at Best Buy to be more than adequate. Sammy is ok with me. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon