Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By 1812dave
  • 3 Post By JimSmith94
  • 2 Post By lizardchest
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By Rina Gomez
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 2 Post By JimSmith94
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I have a Gear 2- Can someone please make Google Voice work on it !!

hEY GUYS!

I have the gear 2 (neo) ...the S voice sucks and it very slow with limited options! I know that this is not a android (OS) on the gear 2- but there has to be some hack or root to get google voice - search, or google now on it!!

I hope someone is working on this, once you have google voice on this gear 2, it will be almost perfect! I mean other watches are coming out with it, where will we be left at!?!?

what was samsung thinking, getting away from google or google play apps, that was a big mistake from samsung!!!

please can someone give me a way to get Google voice/now on my gear 2, please!!!!

rINa ......

Default Re: I have a Gear 2- CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE GOOGLE VOICE WORK ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have trouble with S voice. Perhaps it's your voice.
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

Default Re: I have a Gear 2- CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE GOOGLE VOICE WORK ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I don't have trouble with S voice. Perhaps it's your voice.
    Yeah, I think she's YELLING TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I clearly said it's very slow! ...and not only is it slow and outdated, it does not do what Google voice can by far!

So you two are happy with it, good for you! Most people expected better from Samsung. Again I said most people, you two sound like guys that still live home with mom and dad, you know guys that don't expect much out of life.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

lmao! Hi Jackson, Just looking for some answers, not kids making sarcastic remarks.

I mean I would just like to see Google voice/now on gear 2, is there any hope for it? Is anyone working on this hack/root?

The other thing i hate about Samsung is; i have a note 3- i hate kitkat and was forced to update it, any way for me to go back to jellybean?

Hey Rina,

I totally agree with you...S-Voice is O.K. but compared to Google Search, S-Voice sucks! There is a way to bypass it when using your phone. So in short, when launching S-Voice on your phone, Google Search will automatically launch instead. The app is called "S for Switch Voice" and it's in the Playstore. But again, it will not work when using S-Voice on your Gear 2 (since it does not run Android apps like Google Search), and I think Samsung is trying to push folks to use their apps instead of Google's.

So far, I have not seen anything that even suggests that we will ever see Google Search ported over to Tizen/Gear 2, but who knows. Maybe someone will come up with a hack that will allow it.

As for your KitKat update. I froze my Note 3 from updating by freezing a file called SDM using Titanium Backup which of course means that I am also rooted which I'm not sure if you are or not. The problem is that you have already accepted and installed the new update so I'm not sure if you can go backwards or not. If so, it will probably mean you'll have to flash an earlier version of OS using something like Odin but please confirm that before trying it. If I were you, I'd ask about that over at the XDA- Developers site. You'll find tons on power users, programers, developers etc. there and many folks who will offer you help.

Good Luck!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

thanks batman

...are there risks going back to jellybean or rooting? and if i do it, wont the kitkat update just try to update back again?

Quote Originally Posted by Rina Gomez View Post
    [removed by moderator]

I clearly said it's very slow! ...and not only is it slow and outdated, it does not do what Google voice can by far!
    They said "yelling" due to your obnoxious egregious use of caps lock, which typically signifies "yelling".
    Thanked by 2:
    1812dave and JimSmith94 like this.

Rina,

Thanks for coming to the forums to ask a question. You have a valid question indeed but when you place your thread title in ALL CAPS it signifies your YELLING about it. I think that gave the wrong impression to start the thread and the comments that were made afterwards.

Its up to everyone to be mature about things and help each other out and not turn to insults. I know your all capable of doing so

Thanks all.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    1812dave likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ok thanks Paul but its just CAPS ... not really yelling lol
    LowIQ likes this.

There is a difference between capitalizing a WORD or TWO, and creating an entire thread title (or most of it), or most or all of a post. Online posting etiquette dictates that one use large fonts and caps judiciously if at all. Same goes for typing 40 exclamation points. It's just not cool. I often cap a phrase or a word here and there, or bold some text so that anyone skimming my post can pick out the gist of what I'm discussing.
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
    Thanked by:

Everyone has to remember the Gear and other smart watches are still in their infancy stage and with each release by OEMs things improve more each time as they take feedback from consumers and advancements in technology and programming evolve.

People complained up and down about voice commands/control with smart phones a while back and now its gotten to the point of being very solid. Same will happen with the smart watches and other " smart-connected " accessories, just give it time.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    lizardchest likes this.

thanks batman

...are there risks going back to jellybean or rooting? and if i do it, wont the kitkat update just try to update back again?
    There are always risks when rooting. The worst being that you could potentially "brick" your device where it only gives you a black screen and won't even power up anymore! So definitely do your research well before trying to root any device, but I swear by it because of all of the complete control that it gives you over the device (like freezing updates, making complete backups of ALL of your apps and settings, and turning on/off features that were normally not accessable before, etc.).

As far as going back to Jellybean, the risks often comes in when trying to "downgrade" operating systems. Upgrading an OS is fairly straight forward, but downgrading can present problems so that is also a question to ask over at XDA. If you are a novice, then BE VERY CAREFUL so not to ruin your expensive device!!! Do LOTS of research before attempting any rooting process, and read, read and re-read any guides/FAQs that you find to make sure all the steps are there and that it all makes complete sense BEFORE you start tinkering. Nothing is worst than you getting half way through a process only to find out that all the steps aren't even there. Because half way is sometime too far in for you to recover without completing the entire process. That could surely cause you to brick your device.

You could also just find a "techie" type of friend that knows how to root, and have him/her do it for you. I would just make sure that they have experience rooting your exact device because all of them are different and the process can vary per device.

Finally to answer your last question, once rooted, KitKat trying to update again would not be a problem if you freeze the updates.

Also, keep in mind that if your ultimate goal is to use Google Search on your Gear 2, I had GS on my rooted Gear 1 and it did not work very well. It was very "clunky" where it often would not connect to the internet or would error out saying that "Google is not available at the moment" over and over again. Your best bet for GS on your Gear 2 is to just wait and hope that it is either ported over to Tizen, or that someone comes up with a hack that makes it work without being rooted.

I look forward to that day myself since I LOVE Google Search!

Default Re: I have a Gear 2- Can someone please make Google Voice work on it !!

Samsung announced a Smart Watch that will use Android Wear this fall. I'm pretty sure Google Now will be available for it like what the Moto360 and LG watch will do. I know that doesn't help you now but maybe something to be hopeful for, for the future.

Posted via Android Central App
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

THANKS BATMAN! very nice of you and helpful!! you should work here ;-)

also i heard rooting will void your warranty and/or my carrier may not work on it if they know it is rooted, is this true, i have t mobile.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Default Re: I have a Gear 2- Can someone please make Google Voice work on it !!

hi itinj6!

yea i know others can use google, but i love the gear2, looks good and feels good, just hope it comes out soon!

Lets get the conversation back on topic. If anyone has any further questions about what was moderated or removed your free to contact me personally via PM but moderating practices is something we normally don't discuss.
    Paul

also i heard rooting will void your warranty and/or my carrier may not work on it if they know it is rooted, is this true, i have t mobile.
    Yes rooting does void your warranty while its in the rooted state. So if you were to take it in for repair and it was rooted the carrier/store has every right to deny you of service.

However there is always a way to return back to factory stock and remove all signs of rooting, so then you can have your device warranted for say a broken speaker or something of that nature. I wouldn't recommend trying to claim warranty/replacement because you bricked your device doing something wrong while rooted.
    Paul

THANKS BATMAN! very nice of you and helpful!! you should work here ;-)

That is true, so be careful of it. Similar to the comments here from Paul...you can of course "unroot" your device if taking it in for service. However, in most cases, I have found more/better solutions from the forums and therefore done a lot of my own troubleshooting instead of taking my devices in for service. The folks at XDA and a few other forums seem to know more about these devices than the manufacturers do when I call their tech support numbers...(go figure). Therefore, rooting has not been much of a problem for me in that respect, but it surely does void your warranty.

P.S. - Also, thanks for the compliment, I wish that I could get paid to work here. It would be a lot more fun than some of the other jobs I've held in the past. ;^) Oh, well...glad to be of help to you.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

lmao! Hi Jackson, Just looking for some answers, not kids making sarcastic remarks.

I mean I would just like to see Google voice/now on gear 2, is there any hope for it? Is anyone working on this hack/root?

The other thing i hate about Samsung is; i have a note 3- i hate kitkat and was forced to update it, any way for me to go back to jellybean?
    Well, at 63 I am definitely not a kid, but in Internet terms you definitely were YELLING so I called you out on it!

As for Google Now, this guy got it working on his Gear 1, but so far nobody has it working on the Gear 2/Neo.

I assume our watches will need to be rooted for it to work, which hasn't been accomplished yet.
    Thanked by:
    1812dave and lizardchest like this.