Reasons for keeping the Gear 2?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I can keep the Gear 2 if I want to so that is not an issue. Could I use 300 bucks more sensibly? Of course.

So I'm trying to make a decision whether to keep it or not. There are pros and cons for me no matter how I look at it.

So far I use the watch and pedometer. Notifications has come in handy a few times.

Didn't care for the sleep genius app, don't like wearing any watch to bed. Don't see any other apps that came with it nor that I can download that I would use. I know that more apps are coming, however.

Some days I really like it other days I wonder what the heck got into me that I bought it. I go from I want to keep it, to I don't want to keep it, to I don't care one way or the other.

If I could wear it to work it might be another story, but I can't. No smart anything is allowed in my office and let's face it, there is absolutely no way to disguise this thing to look like an everyday watch at least on this woman. Everyone knows I don't wear big watches or any other kind of big jewelry. My boss is not an *****, he'd figure it out in a heartbeat.

So tell me, what am I missing? What else can I use this for common sense-wise that is not just a case of gadget lust? I know the bottom line is my decision, I'm just looking for input as to other ways I can make this useful or not.

Thanks!

Notes from Deb's Note 3

collett

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I completely understand your ambivalence. I truly don't mean this in a flip way at all, but honestly the only reason to keep a device like this is because you want to. I can't imagine that any of us really needs it. I actually like being able to answer the phone and see my text and FB notifications more than I thought I would. I love the pedometer. Of course I can wear mine to work. If I could not, I would not keep it-but that's my life. I'll be interested to know what you decide to do.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It's your decision. What difference does it make what other people think?

It doesn't. You maybe misunderstood or I didn't explain well.

I don't want to return it unless I'm comfortable that I gave it a fair chance and just don't see enough reason to keep it. In order to do that I am trying to find out from other users what other useful things I can do with it.

Maybe there aren't any but maybe there are and I just haven't thought of them. I don't have the best imagination. On the other hand, I don't need a $300 pedometer, lol!

Notes from Deb's Note 3

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I use mine when I ride my bike, I use the exercise app. But other than that, I use it to make phone calls and get notifications. I work from home so I can use it all day. But I mostly use it when I'm driving if I need to make or answer a quick phone call, if it turns out to be a lengthy call, I transfer to bluetooth. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't. You maybe misunderstood or I didn't explain well.

I don't want to return it unless I'm comfortable that I gave it a fair chance and just don't see enough reason to keep it. In order to do that I am trying to find out from other users what other useful things I can do with it.

Maybe there aren't any but maybe there are and I just haven't thought of them. I don't have the best imagination. On the other hand, I don't need a $300 pedometer, lol!

Notes from Deb's Note 3

You don't need much imagination with the watch (as opposed to an Android phone) because there aren't that many apps available for it. Most of what it does is obvious simply by reviewing the icons (apps) that are built in to the watch as it comes from the factory. I hope to see a lot more utility in the future, LIKE BEING ABLE TO FREAKING RESPOND TO A HANGOUTS MESSAGE!! :)

There are a few of things the watch does (arguably well, or agruably poorly) that I have zero interest in using, such as the sleep monitoring function which I regard as both inaccurate and uninteresting (to me).

I've been around the block more than most here and I learned years ago to never buy something with the idea that software supposedly coming in the future will turn a device into something that I will then want--I buy high tech products that ALREADY do what I want. Additional features are simply a bonus. Mostly I like the watch for notifications, seeing a quick line from emails, TV remote (that is awesome), controlling music apps on my phone, and making/receiving phone calls right from my wrist.

Having said that, don't be misled that I'm trying to convince YOU to keep the watch simply because I find things it is useful for.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I use mine when I ride my bike, I use the exercise app. But other than that, I use it to make phone calls and get notifications. I work from home so I can use it all day. But I mostly use it when I'm driving if I need to make or answer a quick phone call, if it turns out to be a lengthy call, I transfer to bluetooth. Hope this helps.

How have you found accuracy when cycling?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
But I mostly use it when I'm driving

I do that through my car its synced to my phone. If I didn't have this ability I can see where the watch would be helpful in this instance, thank you.

Notes from Deb's Note 3

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
How have you found accuracy when cycling?

I compared it with Runtastic Pro, the mileage and speed was close but the calories was half on the watch. For now that's ok, when I'm riding, I usually want to see my time and mileage, can check the calories later.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not that it matters to anyone but me but I made my decision. I just bought a mint condition Note 10.1 2014 edition at Swappa for just 25 dollars more than I paid for the watch. I decided the watch was pretty much useless to me, I use a tablet more. Watch goes back.

Notes from Deb's Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke