Samsung Gear App - WISH (e-paper-like clock)

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is out there that likes making apps...try making one that allows you to have the "wake-up gesture" set to OFF, and yet your watch will have an e-paper type "pebble like" clock that's ALWAYS ON and ready to view that takes up almost no battery power. It's nice that the current wake up gesture can be turned off to save battery life, but it'd be nice to have an app that does that above so you can always access your watch without the downside of losing a day or two of battery power. Maybe even make it able to dim during the night and a bit brighter during the day. But again, still inconspicuous, easily readable, and almost absent of battery drain.

I have other "wishes" but I felt like sharing this one for now.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That sounds like a cool App to have. Why not share the other items on your wish lists? Might as well go for it while you have our ears :).

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The rest are mostly things I'd like to see improved. Since you asked...here's my current top 10...

The rest:

1) The above e-paper always-on Clock that doesn't drain battery and is easy to read and yet inconspicuous.
2) Conversation Mode for Texts. One at a time is brutal. This is definitely #1b for me.

The rest aren't in any order...

3) Can't read emails on watch. Wish you could when using a 3rd party email app (Maildroid) ...it only shows Subject and Who it's from.
4) Gallery Sync/Integration with the phone for the Neo. So far the whole "No items" thing stinks.
5) WatchON control of DVD/Bluray players, and the major PC and Apple computer media players (with permission after sync'd to computer)
6) WatchON add Honeywell brand to the air conditioning systems. It's one of the most common household wifi thermostats sold.
7) Keyboard ... I know Fleksy is coming...one day.
8) Add a calendar event easily and intuitively on watch (eg. Tap Calendar and say "Add Event. July 4th. Watch Fireworks. 9pm to 11pm. Save Event.") Done.
9) Scoreboard Widget. Pick a game and follow the score live. Heck, have an option to do it in that same secret "e-paper" style to save battery.
10) Voicemail Notification and ability to check it.

That's all for now. I went a day without the watch on and I actually missed it. Had odd phantom watch vibrations like what happens when you think your phone vibrates in your pocket, but there's nothing. Never thought I'd get there but it is pretty damn convenient not having to go into my pocket all day long. It's new technology. I know. So I guess I'll have to wait on some of these.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: E-paper, it unfortunately by definition isn't possible. I agree, a very low power consuming, always on display would be awesome, but E-Paper is impossible.

The Pebble has an e-paper LCD which is a radically different technology than AMOLED. Without going into details which can easily be Googled, both displays have pros and cons, but they cannot do more than mimic each other. Chiefly, because E-paper has the unique ability to "be lit" while using little to no electricity at all.

So...no matter what tricks an app developer can play, the Gear is limited by the reality that AMOLED requires power, and a good amount of it.

I wish both types of displays could be incorporated in a single device as they both have advantages, but the technology just isn't there yet. (Unless it is and is still top secret).

Hufza

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My sony smartwatch 2 has the "always on" function, and that is a kind of mode where does not lit up the screen, but I can see what time it is. If it is in a dark room, I have to press the button to lit up the screen to see what time it is. I'm not sure what kind of screen it uses, but I liked the "two-mode" display. It also has a slightly better battery life than the Gear 2.

Index77

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
High, I am a developer and I am working on 4 apps requested here on the forum or by email

You idea about e-Paper is not possible AFAIK. Instead to save battery, Samsung could add another motion to turn gear screen off after wrist-up motion

3- I use email app by Samsung and I can read whole email.

4- Using bluetooth to sync large number of photos for the Gear is not practical. It will take long time and drain your battery

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
High, I am a developer and I am working on 4 apps requested here on the forum or by email
I actually meant something "like" e-paper...I don't know...something dim, low battery and easy to read.

So you're a developer? Awesome...how about #8, #9, or #10? :)

Index77

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I actually meant something "like" e-paper...I don't know...something dim, low battery and easy to read.

So you're a developer? Awesome...how about #8, #9, or #10? :)

Yes I am, and I have apps on store (WalkUp and G-Neon) and working on 3 more now - users request from the forum or by email

The only option is to design watchface that set brightness to lowest and keep screen always on . I don't know if that is "good" for the battery!

8 - There is no voice recognition programming library in the Gear. I guess S-Voice works by sending audio file to your phone to be processed by S-Voice there. This kind of feature should be added to S-VOICE. I am not doing it, needs to build android app that handle the voice request and send it to Google voice services online and then process it back which may take longer time and is time consuming for me

9- This is possible but I don't know if there is free live score service API ? This kind of app could be implemented from the makers of livescores apps on android. If there is free API service, I'd consider it cuz I like sport and I think it is cool

10- This, I have no idea to be honest how to send the voicemail from phone to gear!!

mpogr

May 15, 2014
Visit site
#8 is actually already available via S Voice. Just say "Schedule an appointment with John Smith on 10th of June between 2 PM and 4 PM titled "Meeting with John"". It will actually display and read back all the text as it recognised it (it will if you're lucky and don't have any funny accent) and then ask if this is the appointment you want to create. You can make changes, like "Change date to 12th of June" or "Change subject to "Fun party"". Say "yes" when is asks about saving when satisfied with the final result.