Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Index77
  • 1 Post By lizardchest
  • 2 Post By Garghas
  • 3 Post By philmair
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Garghas's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

    Default Still worth buying?

    Im thinking about buying a Gear 2 for my birthday this week, but im divided about it, mainly because Android Wear iminnent release.

    I prefer the Gear 2 OS, simply because Android Wear is to much voice based and not being a native English speaker this can be a bad thing for us. Almost all voice assistant work sub par in other languages and in Portguese that is a problem, so a touch based system seems better adjusted for me.
    My problem is that im afraid Samsung will abandon Tizen and go all the way for Android Wear. Although we have mixed messages since they are spending 1.250M in prizes for new Tizen gear apps.

    You guys think it's still a good purchase nowadays? I love the looks and feel of the metal Gear 2 and like I said the system feels adjusted to my needs. How is it battery wise, etc?

    Thanks for all the input guys.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    open and free beats closed and proprietary. i'd go with Android Wear.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Garghas's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    What if the voice recognition works badly, if it works at all in Portuguese? Won't that ruin the whole experience?
    Many brands forget that not all world speaks English. ..
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    relax and give it a few days and wait to see the full details.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    First Tizen is open and owned by Linux Foundation and backed by Samsung and Intel, so I have no idea what Gekko talking about

    It might be hard to decide now. Android wear is not yet available and Tizen wear still in beta version

    You need to compare apps and features to be able to decide. Personally, I think more developers will make apps for android wear than Tizen in near future. That's not related to technical issues but there is more android developers than tizen at the moment

    Another key issue is battery. I doubt android wear will do well. It is about Java runtime and virtual machine needed to work all time vs simple web apps for Gear

    About the challenge, I think they will extend it. There are many devs still working on it but they need more time.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    LG G watch and Samsung Live, both featuring Android Wear os' s will be available today in the Play Store.... source: IO Conference....

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Garghas's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Yeah, but the lack of camera and the fact that Gear Live is exactly the same aspect as the Gear 2 makes me want the Gear 2 even more.
    Plus, HTML5 apps strike me as better...
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garghas View Post
    Im thinking about buying a Gear 2 for my birthday this week, but im divided about it, mainly because Android Wear iminnent release.

    I prefer the Gear 2 OS, simply because Android Wear is to much voice based and not being a native English speaker this can be a bad thing for us. Almost all voice assistant work sub par in other languages and in Portguese that is a problem, so a touch based system seems better adjusted for me.
    My problem is that im afraid Samsung will abandon Tizen and go all the way for Android Wear. Although we have mixed messages since they are spending 1.250M in prizes for new Tizen gear apps.

    You guys think it's still a good purchase nowadays? I love the looks and feel of the metal Gear 2 and like I said the system feels adjusted to my needs. How is it battery wise, etc?

    Thanks for all the input guys.
    Tizen is NOT going anywhere in the next few years at minimum, and it may eventually be massive. Check out this thread:

    Tizen

    And an update to that thread, the Tizen phones are already on the market.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    If you are using many google apps and services go for Android wear otherwise Tizen might be better in terms of battery and some extra features like camera as you said. I don't think Samsung will back Gear Live in future. I mean they will not do app challenges and ask devs to make apps for it. Google might do that!

    I am developer myself and I have coded 7 apps so far for Tizen Gear and working on more. I have zero interests in making apps for Android Wear but I am sure many devs will work and many companies will provide client or notification for their apps. Google might attract more devs than Samsung in future

    LG watch has one more sensor more than Gear 2 (as far I have seen) that is compass sensor. I can't code compass app for Tizen because it does not have this sensor

    Moto 360 might look more elegant than Gear 2 .. I don't know. I though LG Watch would look better than Gear 2 but from the photos I have seen today, it looks terrible

    One cool feature for Tizen Gear that developer can make standalone apps while it seems android wearable apps can only run on phone and send notification only (for now)

    In general, smartwatches are still "new" in technology. The current developer tools for Tizen Gear are in beta and yet they might have more features than Android Wear

    Make a checklist for your needs and decide..

    Happy birthday
    Last edited by Index77; 06-25-2014 at 04:29 PM.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Index77 View Post
    First Tizen is open and owned by Linux Foundation and backed by Samsung and Intel, so I have no idea what Gekko talking about

    It might be hard to decide now. Android wear is not yet available and Tizen wear still in beta version

    You need to compare apps and features to be able to decide. Personally, I think more developers will make apps for android wear than Tizen in near future. That's not related to technical issues but there is more android developers than tizen at the moment

    Another key issue is battery. I doubt android wear will do well. It is about Java runtime and virtual machine needed to work all time vs simple web apps for Gear

    About the challenge, I think they will extend it. There are many devs still working on it but they need more time.
    SAMSUNG Gear is closed and proprietary to SAMSUNG smartphones.

    GET IT?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    SAMSUNG Gear is closed and proprietary to SAMSUNG smartphones.

    GET IT?
    NO I don't

    Tizen is open source and Gear runs Tizen so how come they can close it?

    What this then? 1.3GB of open source!!

    Samsung Opensource Release Center
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Anybody else notice the battery life on the Gear Live? Same battery size as my Gear 2 Neo, but 1/3 of the estimated usage time?
    If that's the Android Wear difference, probably enough for some people to go with Tizen

    https://play.google.com/store/device...ear_live_black
    Technical specifications
    OS
    Android Wear
    Screen
    1.63” 320 x 320 SuperAMOLED (278 ppi)
    Dimensions
    37.9 x 56.4 x 8.9 mm
    Weight
    59 g
    Battery
    300 mAh, 1 day use
    Processor
    1.2 GHz
    Wireless
    Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy
    Memory
    4 GB internal storage with 512 MB RAM
    Ports and Connectors
    USB (pogo pin)
    Sensors
    Accelerometer
    Digital compass
    Gyroscope
    Heart rate monitor

    EDIT: Just checked Samsung Gear
    I would guess the battery drain is caused by an always-on display
    Index77 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardchest View Post
    Anybody else notice the battery life on the Gear Live? Same battery size as my Gear 2 Neo, but 1/3 of the estimated usage time?
    Very good point

    It is also "java" which is more hungry resources than web apps (tizen) = less battery life

    I read there are no standalone apps ... another bonus for Tizen Gear
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Index77 View Post
    Very good point

    It is also "java" which is more hungry resources than web apps (tizen) = less battery life

    I read there are no standalone apps ... another bonus for Tizen Gear
    I'm sooo torn. I really like my Gear. I also really like Google voice control. I use Google Now all the time on my phone, and seamless integration with a wearable would be ideal. Why can't I have both Tizen and AW???!!!!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Garghas's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Well, I've decided and went for Gear 2.
    Very happy till now, have it for 12 hours =P
    Seriously now, Android Wear was not what I was hoping for. Low battery duration, lack of options like cameras, I RBLASTER etc, not to mention the heart rate monitor.
    I really think Samsung should keep pushing Tizen on this small devices. I understand Android Wear is voice based, but here I have 2 options, touch based HTML5 apps and S-Voice, which is surprisingly accurate, even in my language.
    lizardchest and Index77 like this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garghas View Post
    not to mention the heart rate monitor.
    I believe it does have a HR monitor, centered on the Gear Live, whereas it's offset on the Gear 2. Otherwise, yup! I agree with your points!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardchest View Post
    I'm sooo torn. I really like my Gear. I also really like Google voice control. I use Google Now all the time on my phone, and seamless integration with a wearable would be ideal. Why can't I have both Tizen and AW???!!!!
    For the same reason why can't you have iOS and Android in the same device

    Just commercial issues
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garghas View Post
    Im thinking about buying a Gear 2 for my birthday this week, but im divided about it, mainly because Android Wear iminnent release.

    I prefer the Gear 2 OS, simply because Android Wear is to much voice based and not being a native English speaker this can be a bad thing for us. Almost all voice assistant work sub par in other languages and in Portguese that is a problem, so a touch based system seems better adjusted for me.
    My problem is that im afraid Samsung will abandon Tizen and go all the way for Android Wear. Although we have mixed messages since they are spending 1.250M in prizes for new Tizen gear apps.

    You guys think it's still a good purchase nowadays? I love the looks and feel of the metal Gear 2 and like I said the system feels adjusted to my needs. How is it battery wise, etc?

    Thanks for all the input guys.
    That's actually a very good question. I have recently bought the Gear 2 Neo and technically I am still within the time frame to return it. I gave it some REAL thought because they announced the release date of the Gear Live as July 7. I have to admit, I wondered just what Samsung is doing. I'm perplexed. I also asked myself if I wanted to bring this watch back and go for the Live but in the end, I think I'm sticking with it. It has a few issues but whether you like it or not really will depend on what you want to get out of your smart watch. I like the Gear and how it works along with what it gives me. I also really like it's design. I simply don't have enough info about the Gear Live to really pull the trigger. It sounds good on paper for sure but if I'm happy with my Neo, do I really need to jump thru that hoop? If you're considering a smart watch and don't have one though, I'd definitely look at both of them before deciding. Haven't seen the cost on the Live either so that may make a difference as well.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
  19. #19  
    philmair's Avatar

    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    IMHO the wearable market is about to explode and in about 12 months some obvious winners and losers will emerge. I went for the Gear 2 not because of Tizen, but because I wanted to test out the concept of "wearable" devices - it's like anything else, when you first go for it you don't know what to look for. It's only when you try something you realise what questions you should have asked .. and make a better, informed choice the next time - true for cars, sports shoes, and wearables.

    I'm very pleased with my Gear 2 Neo, and I'm finding it a lot more useful that I thought I would. Hopefully there will be more Tizen apps soon. But it doesn't matter if Tizen, AW or whoever "wins" in the wearable OS battle, the next time I make a purchase I'll have had good use out of my current device and know much better as to the features I want in my next one. And if I have to switch OS to get it, then so be it.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by philmair View Post
    IMHO the wearable market is about to explode and in about 12 months some obvious winners and losers will emerge. I went for the Gear 2 not because of Tizen, but because I wanted to test out the concept of "wearable" devices - it's like anything else, when you first go for it you don't know what to look for. It's only when you try something you realise what questions you should have asked .. and make a better, informed choice the next time - true for cars, sports shoes, and wearables.

    I'm very pleased with my Gear 2 Neo, and I'm finding it a lot more useful that I thought I would. Hopefully there will be more Tizen apps soon. But it doesn't matter if Tizen, AW or whoever "wins" in the wearable OS battle, the next time I make a purchase I'll have had good use out of my current device and know much better as to the features I want in my next one. And if I have to switch OS to get it, then so be it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself and I totally agree on wearables taking off. Just in the time I bought my first gear, a lot of them have come out. They will only get better from here but for now, I'm quite happy with my Gear 2 Neo, even if Samsung Support is clueless (which they are)
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by clitrenta View Post
    That's actually a very good question. I have recently bought the Gear 2 Neo and technically I am still within the time frame to return it. I gave it some REAL thought because they announced the release date of the Gear Live as July 7. I have to admit, I wondered just what Samsung is doing. I'm perplexed. I also asked myself if I wanted to bring this watch back and go for the Live but in the end, I think I'm sticking with it. It has a few issues but whether you like it or not really will depend on what you want to get out of your smart watch. I like the Gear and how it works along with what it gives me. I also really like it's design. I simply don't have enough info about the Gear Live to really pull the trigger. It sounds good on paper for sure but if I'm happy with my Neo, do I really need to jump thru that hoop? If you're considering a smart watch and don't have one though, I'd definitely look at both of them before deciding. Haven't seen the cost on the Live either so that may make a difference as well.
    I'm actually in the same exact boat you are. I bought my Gear 2 Neo, and a couple days later I heard them say at Google I/O they would be showing a Samsung AW device. I knew I would have to decide about returning the Neo, and I was heavily leaning towards returning it.

    After using it for a week, I'm was about 90% sure I'm going to keep it. And, unless I notice something about AW that I missed, I'm going to keep the Neo. I initially bought it because I wanted the "gimmick" of having a Smartwatch, along with having a run display (Strava) on my wrist. I thought everything else was just add-on. After 1.5 weeks now, I can't believe how natural having the notification/email/IM on the watch is. I realize that for me, those are the key points of what I want in a smartwatch, and everything else is just value added features.

    Also, I can't believe how strong the speakerphone is. Everyone I've talked to think it's clearer than speakerphone on my Note 3.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoFaQ View Post
    I'm actually in the same exact boat you are. I bought my Gear 2 Neo, and a couple days later I heard them say at Google I/O they would be showing a Samsung AW device. I knew I would have to decide about returning the Neo, and I was heavily leaning towards returning it.

    After using it for a week, I'm was about 90% sure I'm going to keep it. And, unless I notice something about AW that I missed, I'm going to keep the Neo. I initially bought it because I wanted the "gimmick" of having a Smartwatch, along with having a run display (Strava) on my wrist. I thought everything else was just add-on. After 1.5 weeks now, I can't believe how natural having the notification/email/IM on the watch is. I realize that for me, those are the key points of what I want in a smartwatch, and everything else is just value added features.

    Also, I can't believe how strong the speakerphone is. Everyone I've talked to think it's clearer than speakerphone on my Note 3.
    That's exactly what I'm saying and couldn't agree more. I hear the Gear Live will have more apps but honestly, the Neo has all I need right now. Why not just sit back and wait until these devices progress a little more and then upgrade later in the year if necessary. This is one of the few times I'm not going to jump at the latest and greatest. Happy to stand pat with my Neo.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Still worth buying?

    I read "negative" article about AW on forbes. Basically the article says it is wrong to limit AW to android 4.3 and above and the bad battery

    Pebble’s Chief interviewed and said: AW is closed platform and not open source !!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Is the S5 Active truly worth it?
    By jleebiker in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 08:45 PM
  2. Still a good phone?
    By ALborntoride in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM
  3. buying a used note 3
    By tada1096 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 08:59 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM
  5. Tab Pro 10.1-8.4 on sale at Best Buy 349.99-249.99
    By SAMmarked1 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions