Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LowIQ
  • 1 Post By LowIQ
  • 1 Post By clitrenta
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb FYI; We just got to see (and touch) Samsung's new Gear Live smartwatch

We just got to see (and touch) Samsung's new Gear Live smartwatch
    Here at Google's yearly developer conference, we just learned a whole lot more about Android Wear, the company's OS tailored to wearables. With that info came word that Samsung's rolling out the newest member of the Gear family, the Live, and I just laid my hands and eyes on one firsthand. Problem is, the smartwatch was only running Android Wear in "retail mode." That means that I couldn't actually explore the ins and outs of Android Wear, but I did get to strap the newest member of Samsung's wrist-worn family on my arm.
    FYI; We just got to see (and touch) Samsung's new Gear Live smartwatch-samgearlead.jpg
    The Live fits right into the design aesthetic we've seen on the Gear, Gear 2 and the Gear 2 Neo, and shares their solid build quality. It's got a seamless silver housing tightly fitted around its screen and a rubber wristband that clasps together with a pair of prongs studding the back of a brushed-silver buckle. Unlike its brethren, however, the Live has a slimmer profile and has no buttons or screws adorning its housing -- an omission meant to keep with Android Wear's professed love for voice controls, no doubt.
    FYI; We just got to see (and touch) Samsung's new Gear Live smartwatch-gearlive22.jpg
    Unfortunately, you still need to navigate through swipes, and it turns out that the shiny screen and the silver surrounding it were both great at acquiring fingerprints. So, while the watch is handsome to behold at first, it was soon decorated with evidence of my use. The watch is relatively unobtrusive to wear, light on the wrist and comfy for the five minutes or so that I wore it. Swiping through the demo screens went off without a hitch, and the Live even picked up my "OK, Google" voice command in a noisy environment from a couple feet away without issue.

Attendees of the conference will be taking one of these home with them tomorrow, at which point we'll be better able to put the Gear Live through its paces. Until then, our hands-on video will have to suffice.
    collett likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: FYI; We just got to see (and touch) Samsung's new Gear Live smartwatch

collett likes this.

Default Re: FYI; We just got to see (and touch) Samsung's new Gear Live smartwatch

excited to have this one soon... but hoping for Tizen to be better

Can you make/receive calls? Is there a builtin music player like the Gear 2?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sammuel1973 View Post
    Can you make/receive calls? Is there a builtin music player like the Gear 2?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
    I thought I read somewhere that it couldn't do calls. Not positive though. Supposedly it will have more apps for it but the way it stands now, I think I'll stick with my Neo until something comes out that "grabs" me.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"
    Tarek53180 likes this.

i prefer android devices with buttons. I got rid of my own Nexus 7 but once in a while I use my wife's and it annoys me to no end that it has no physical button on the front. no button on the Gear Live is a turn-off for me as is the possibility it doesn't do phone calls. the gear 2 excels as a phone as long as one isn't in a super noisy spot.
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    i prefer android devices with buttons. I got rid of my own Nexus 7 but once in a while I use my wife's and it annoys me to no end that it has no physical button on the front. no button on the Gear Live is a turn-off for me as is the possibility it doesn't do phone calls. the gear 2 excels as a phone as long as one isn't in a super noisy spot.
    I think I'll agree with you on all of what you said. I'm not overly crazy about the look of it either. The Neo appeals to me much more. Oh and the button on the Gear 2 Neo is definitely a big plus. I wonder if Samsung is going to continue with this line (Tizen) along with the Android Wear line? I surely hope so.
    Connie L "Go BIG or Go Home"

I am keeping my Gear 2 (in fact, I love it so much I got a new replacement at Best Buy yesterday cuz of the speaker and volume issue). For me, the camera, ability to make/receive calls, and mp3 are major features that other smartwatches don't have, including the Gear Live. Even though SVoice is not perfect, it's able to do the daily routine that I normally can with my GS5 like scheduling appointments/meetings/events, set timer, play music, answer calls via bluetooth earpiece...all without the need to take out my phone.

If anything, I can't wait for the Gear Solo as a standalone smartwatch, then I'll leave my SG5 in the office or at home for web browsing and emailing purposes. Everything else, I can do on the watch with utter convenience.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

the Samsung version has one button on the right side...

Quote Originally Posted by LowIQ View Post
    the Samsung version has one button on the right side...
    Oh yeah, I remember seeing that

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

the LG watch you tap twice like on most of their new LG phones, my wife has the Flex and to turn it on you tap twice... you can even program it as I did when you tap three time for the Camera app to open...