Latest Gear Manager Update has serious problems ...

Philip Butin

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed this is an older thread but the connection problems with the Gear series are still serious in December, and this is the best place I can find to discuss them. Hopefully someone will read this who knows more about the Gear 2 Neo than I do.

I bought a new Gear 2 Neo from ATT for $99 on Black Friday. For a week it seemed to connect fine but then after the December 1 Gear Manager update the connection started to be intermittent. I uninstalled Gear Manager and reinstalled--tried various things with Bluetooth, the Gear Manager installation process kept factory resetting my Gear 2 (erasing all date and programs several times), and most of the time the two devices would pair but would not connect. Then if I did get a connection it would fail and the only way to make progress was to uninstall and reinstall, requiring all apps to be reinstalled as well. Talked for 3 hours with a nice Samsung tech who said he had had 5 calls that same day with the same problem with the new update. He thought the update was aimed at Gear S and Lollipop for Note 4 and Edge phones, and they had not given enough attention to how it would work with prior Gear models or phone models.

Finally went to an older (summer) version of Gear Manager that would at least maintain a reliable connection with at least the stock Samsung apps. That worked OK for about a week but it kept trying to update the Gear Manager, I could not use the App Store or any of the controls on the phone, and there was an error screen threatening to update the program and factory reset the watch that I had to ignore while the manager was running on the phone in order to keep the connection.

Then there was a new December 16 update and I took the plunge in the hope the concerns had been addressed. The new install factory reset the watch again. Then it took about 10 tries to get the December 16 Gear Manager and the watch to connect, but they finally did, and I reinstalled all my apps and data.

The watch is still connected to the phone a day later (and I'm not inclined to uninstall the Gear Manager again), but the connection is unpredictable and unstable, and has to be reconnected periodically by rebooting both devices. The results are still inconsistent. Stock apps tend to run fairly reliably (with the exception of S Voice, which is intermittent) but developer apps are very unpredictable. It seems like the Bluetooth connection from the watch to the phone is more reliable and stable than the connection from the phone (Gear Manager--updated for newer devices to the neglect of the Gear 2 Neo) to the watch. To me this suggests the problem is still the Gear Manager update(s) that have recently been forced upon us.

Samsung, this is not acceptable. I bought a brand new Samsung watch on November 29 that is still being sold, and I am running it with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone.

I know this is an older thread but above one entry suggests the connection problems may be due to a caching difficulty within S Health. It suggests the S Health cache be emptied and everything rebooted. I have tried this and am hoping it will make a difference, but so far, I'm still having connection problems. Did anyone try any of the cache emptying strategies above?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
| have you ever run a custom rom on your phone, with the watch working?

No, I am on AT&T, so ,with the locked bootloader, I haven't been able to do any custom ROMs.

Stealthps

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Install Samsung Gear Manager From the Web

If GALAXY Apps is not available, you can download Samsung Gear Manager from a browser on your mobile device:

From the Home screen of your mobile device, touch Apps Apps Icon .
Touch Internet Gear Manager Icon or Chrome™ Gear Manager Icon . For this example, we will use the Internet application.
Navigate to apps.samsung.com/gear and touch Download.

xydroid

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This helped me; we will see for how long though!

I usually can't reconnect when I get out of range.

Hope samsung fixes this soon as they obviously know the root cause.

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I updated yesterday and it seemed to do fine. It disconnected to install the software then reconnected when finished. Last night I went to bed and started my sleep app and noticed that it was off when I woke up this morning. I turned it back on and now it turns off right after reboot. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't use the sleep app but haven't yet encountered any negative issues after updating yesterday.

As an update: I got off work today and found that my Gear 2 battery died. It seems all night it was trying to connect and could not. So the battery was dead and that is why it would not stay on. After charging back up to 100% going throught the motions it seems that gear 2 will not connect to my Note 5 now after Gear manager update. The watch says waiting for conformation from device and never get pass that screen.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
As an update: I got off work today and found that my Gear 2 battery died. It seems all night it was trying to connect and could not. So the battery was dead and that is why it would not stay on. After charging back up to 100% going throught the motions it seems that gear 2 will not connect to my Note 5 now after Gear manager update. The watch says waiting for conformation from device and never get pass that screen.

I had to reboot my phone after the update for my neo to connect. Haven't had issues since.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Sorry it took so long to reply and update the thread. I did get it back working after the newest Gear Manager update.

*I Uninstalled the Gear Manager on my device
*I unpaired my Gear 2
* Restarted my device
*Reinstalled the Gear Manager
*Went through the motion as a fresh new Gear Watch
It took a little bit of doing it over and over but I got to work. The issue originally was that it would get to the screen on the Gear 2 and say waiting for confirmation from device. While ont he device it had already past that part waiting for the next part. So it seemed as it was a synchronous issue.

I had a friend at work with the same issue on his Gear 2 NEO and I was able to follow the steps above and his worked right away. Thank you all for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool