Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1812dave
  • 1 Post By Doobls
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Default Latest Gear Manager Update has serious problems ...

This morning I get a message saying" Gear Manger Needs Updating"

Finished download then I get a message that the manager app has stopped.
    Now I can't find the Gear Manager icon anywhere. I re-boot the phone ... still no icon. Reboot phone and watch (again) still no icon.

Look in apps manager ... Gear Manager not there.

Go to Samsung Apps and re-install it (it didn't think it was installed, so the "update" removed it without putting it back).

After re-installation the only way I could proceed was to "pair with new device" ... which forces a factory reset of the Gear.

Well done Samsung ... another software success story ! Do you actually have a software testing team ... or is that what you call "customers" ???

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

Default Re: Latest Gear Manager Update has serious problems ...

No such problem here, I am a gear 2 neo with an S5 on AT&T, it might help to know your combination.

What are the noticeable differences with this update?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Gear 2 Neo + Note 2 on EE/T-Mobile.

EE (UK) have not yet rolled out KitKat ... maybe that's the issue.

I've not noticed any differences. Everything was OK before .. still seems to be. Not found any additional options.

Can anyone confirm if additional notifications is missing? I can no longer select notifications for gmail or any other apps.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philmair View Post
    This morning I get a message saying" Gear Manger Needs Updating"

Finished download then I get a message that the manager app has stopped.
    Now I can't find the Gear Manager icon anywhere. I re-boot the phone ... still no icon. Reboot phone and watch (again) still no icon.

Look in apps manager ... Gear Manager not there.

Go to Samsung Apps and re-install it (it didn't think it was installed, so the "update" removed it without putting it back).

After re-installation the only way I could proceed was to "pair with new device" ... which forces a factory reset of the Gear.

Well done Samsung ... another software success story ! Do you actually have a software testing team ... or is that what you call "customers" ???
    Just updated gear manager same problem. Gear manager cannot find gear 2 although Note 3 has confirmed pairing with Gear 2. It seems that a factory reset of the Gear 2 is the only way to solve the new update problem
    Last edited by kennyg48; 06-26-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Gear 2 Neo and Note 3 here, no problems whatsoever.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Further update ... I am noticing a difference after the upgrade ... I am now getting multiple notifications of email messages. ie one new email shows on my phone, but I get multiple notifications on my Gear of that message. In fact it only stops notifying me when I open the message on the phone. But, it doesn't seem to do it for all emails .... strange and annoying.

Further update ... I am noticing a difference after the upgrade ... I am now getting multiple notifications of email messages. ie one new email shows on my phone, but I get multiple notifications on my Gear of that message. In fact it only stops notifying me when I open the message on the phone. But, it doesn't seem to do it for all emails .... strange and annoying.
    You might want to consider contacting Samsung about these issues. either by phone or email--so that they can rectify the problems.
    Samsung Note 2 and Gear 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Do you have an email address? The Samsung site is impregnable: I usually end up going around in circles for several minutes before giving up. It insists on you selecting device type, then doesn't offer up the right serial numbers, so you hit a brick wall. Might be OK for complaining about a disk washer, but doesn't recognise many of the international variants of their smartphone/wearable products.

Do you have an email address? The Samsung site is impregnable: I usually end up going around in circles for several minutes before giving up. It insists on you selecting device type, then doesn't offer up the right serial numbers, so you hit a brick wall. Might be OK for complaining about a disk washer, but doesn't recognise many of the international variants of their smartphone/wearable products.
    i called them directly the day i got my Gear. They had English speaking techs (that's the good news), but they first guy gave me such bogus info that I almost sent the watch right back to amazon the same day.

Samsung

800-726-7864 is the number I called.
    Thanked by:
    LowIQ likes this.

I've noticed that when viewing email or text messages and I want to view on device, it won't pull up the messages on the phone anymore.

Edit: My Smart Relay box would never check before, but it must have been active. I turned it on now and the send to device is working now.
    Last edited by NoFaQ; 06-28-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Actually this happened to me. Gear 2 and galaxy s5. I can't even get it to vibrate when I get a message. What the **** samsung.
    LowIQ likes this.

I had a ton of problems with this update! So I have an IDEA?....Why not set your settings for manual update and let others be the guinea pigs?... or you can be adventurous and do the update... I did just that today as it took a total of two hours of my time to get everything working again and many resets of the phone and Gear 2 Neo. everything had to be re-installed and even a restore of which I tried first and did not work. Live and Learn... I did!

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I never understood where do that problems come from...
    Never had a single problem with any of the previous Gear Manager updates and same for this last version. Do you guys have rooted phones? Altered roms etc? Because in my case, with everything stock I never had the slightest problem and I find that odd.

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    i called them directly the day i got my Gear. They had English speaking techs (that's the good news), but they first guy gave me such bogus info that I almost sent the watch right back to amazon the same day.

Samsung

800-726-7864 is the number I called.
    I'm curious what bogus info you were given from the Samsung Tech person.

He said I needed kit kat to use the watch. Sigh, That's perhaps the most bogus info a tech could give a customer when calling about initial setup of the watch, eh??

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by 1812dave; 06-30-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I can't believe how bad this latest update. I've had my watch for only 2 weeks or so. When I first started it, everything worked just fine. Now, with this latest update, I don't receive notifications of text or emails anymore. And yes, I have the smart rely turned on. I'm on with one of their live chat people, but so far he hasn't fixed it.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garghas View Post
    I never understood where do that problems come from...
    Never had a single problem with any of the previous Gear Manager updates and same for this last version. Do you guys have rooted phones? Altered roms etc? Because in my case, with everything stock I never had the slightest problem and I find that odd.
    No rooting ... just apps from the Samsung store.

Posted via Android Central App
    Galaxy Note 2 EE/T-Mobile (KitKat 4.4.2) + Galaxy Gear 2 Neo
    Galaxy Note 8.0 (KitKat 4.4.2)

Same problem this week with the Gear Manager update ultimately forcing me to reset my Gear 2 Neo (ugh!) after a couple of hours in a limbo state where I had partial comms between my S4 (running 4.3) and the Neo but could not update or install any Gear apps. Uninstalling the Gear Manager (to allow me to re-update to the latest version) "required" (i.e., I could find no way around it) a Neo reset and reinstallation of all apps and stored music. Aside from a few "neat" features including taking calls directly off the Neo, built-in music player, and the fitness apps/pulse monitor - I really prefer the to wear my Sony SW2 Silver for everyday use and I only use the Neo during workouts and when I need the convenience of using my watch for taking calls when I need my hands free and I can't use a BT headset.

I too have been experiencing the issue with my lil over a week gear 2.

The steps that seem to fix the syncing issue i am having is: Please follow the below path on the device: Settings >Applications> Application Manager >> All >> S Health>> Clear Data, Clear Cache and Force Stop.

Here is my recent conversation with samsung support:

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
    Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Arwyn'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
    Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125601298662X
    Arwyn: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
    Eric: are there any known issues with the gear manager app?
    Arwyn: As of now we do not have any know issues on the Gear manager app. However please let me know the issue to assist you better.
    Eric: i picked up the gear 2 lil over a week ago, and not it will not syce notification, emails, messages with my phone
    Eric: i've been through tech support help and they even mirrored control of my phone to fix the issue
    Eric: it was fixed for a day but now i am still having the same problem
    Eric: i've deleted and reinstalled the gear manager app 3 times and factory reset my gear 2 3 times
    Arwyn: I understand that your device notifications are not being synced with your Gear. Is that correct?
    Eric: correct
    Arwyn: Thank you for confirming.
    Arwyn: Not to worry. I'll try my best to fix the issue.
    Arwyn: In order to isolate the issue and perform appropriate troubleshooting I need to probe some questions. Shall we proceed?
    Eric: k
    Arwyn: For how long you have been experiencing the issue?
    Eric: i have the steps that are needed to fix
    Eric: that past few days
    Eric: *the
    Arwyn: May I know what all the steps you have tried on the device to resolve the issue?
    Eric: clear app data and cache
    Eric: that seems to fix the issue, however that also deletes my profile and factory resets my gear 2, so any data obtain on the gear for that day is wiped out without having the opportunity to sync to my phone and back up
    Arwyn: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
    Arwyn: Let me check what else we can do for you to resolve the issue.
    Arwyn: I've checked the information for you.
    Arwyn: What happens when you try to sync the data on the Gear?
    Eric: prior to the "fix" it shows it synce updates the time and day, but no data is synced
    Arwyn: Thank you for the information.
    Arwyn: May I know the complete model number of the Phone? You can find it under Settings >> About Device (or) beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SM,GT, SCH, SGH or SPH.
    Eric: SM-G900T
    Arwyn: Thank you for the model number.
    Arwyn: May I know the Base Band version of the device? You can find the Base Band version under Apps >> Settings >> About device >> Base band version.
    Eric: G900TUVU1BNF6
    Arwyn: Thank you for the information.
    Arwyn: Let us perform few troubleshooting steps on the device to fix the issue.
    Arwyn: Let's try some troubleshooting on the device also and check for the result.
    Arwyn: Shall we try?
    Eric: sure, unless they are steps i have already tried...
    Arwyn: Let's perform wipe cache partition on the device and check if the issue gets resolved. It will only delete temporary files on the device.
    Eric: The app is already working right now, i just know it's going to get disconnected and not sync again
    Eric: i want to know how samsung is fixing this issue? There are tons of other users who are experiencing this issue
    Arwyn: Sure.
    Arwyn: I'll help you with the steps of wipe cache partition.
    Arwyn: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
    Arwyn: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
    Arwyn: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
    Arwyn: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
    Arwyn: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the wipe cache partition option and press the Power key to select.
    Arwyn: 6. After the Wipe Cache Partition is completed reboot the device with REBOOT NOW option.
    Arwyn: Please note the steps and perform it when the Gear will not sync the data with the device.
    Arwyn: If the issue persists even after the Wipe Cache Partition get back to us with the chat ID to assist you further.
    Arwyn: Let me provide you with the chat session ID: LTK1125601298662X as a reference for this case. You can get back to us with the same Chat session if there is any issues, so that the chat history will be saved in our records and you need not explain the issue from starting onwards and our agents will pick up where we left off. We are available 24 hrs.
    Arwyn: Have you noted chat ID?
    Eric: yes the LT number?
    Arwyn: Yes that's the number.
    Eric: ok
    Arwyn: Thank you for confirming.
    Arwyn: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    Eric: as of right now, no thank you
    Arwyn: You are welcome.
    Arwyn: It was nice assisting you. Customer satisfaction is what we strive for.
    Arwyn: Have a great day.
    Arwyn: We thank you for your inquiry today and hope your experience with Samsung tech support has been a pleasant one. In an effort to continuously improve our service, we request you to take a minute and complete a quick survey.Please click blue 'X' button on the upper right corner and you will be provided with the survey to complete.
    Arwyn: Bye Eric!!
    Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

I have not yet tried this issue, as i already did the first fix and it's not working (for how long? Who knows).

If anyone is having an issue and wants to try the clearing partition fix and see the results, let me know if that works for you. It beats having to reset everything and losing my shealth data all the time.

Hope this helps someone.

Update worked OK but accessing gear manager on the phone the watch to the phone seems much slower.

try resetting watch a couple times mine started to work better after that...