Be aware: Gear 2 speaker has issues when wet

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have posted this earlier in another thread, but same problem recently reoccurred. I use the speaker and SVoice alot, and wear the device everywhere, including to play sports and to the gym. When my accumulated sweat gets around the speaker, the sound quality gets very low and muffled. I have to wipe it dry, wait for 2 hours before the speaker is back to normal again. I have recently gotten a brand new replacement at Best Buy, same problem is happening. Samsung said it's an unknown problem, oh well. For their next generation smartwatch, I hope the speaker will be placed instead of underneath the device which is against the skin, and allows for accumulated sweat, it should be placed on top of the watch like where the home button is. So just a heads up for all you Gear 2 lovers!

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Home Depot (IIRC) sells a product for making things somewhat waterproof. Can't remember the name of it, but maybe you can spray some of that stuff onto the speaker after it is totally dried out from the previous encounter with your sweat. Good luck. Guess I don't sweat much. :) The hottest places I go to are also very dry so there's not much sweating even when it's 106 degrees.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been running about 30km a week, here in the middle USA, and I use Strava each run. I also sweat an embarrassing amount.

I have sent text messages during my run and made calls immediately after my runs, and I've experienced no issues, so far. After each exercise, I use a very damp paper towel and wipe off the entire watch.

Edit: It's been about 100 degrees here, and it's always fairly humid, about 60%.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I am most certain it has to do with the accumulated sweat underneath the watch. Don't know why Samsung placed the speaker right there, underneath the watch. Anyway, I just came back from a 2 hour tennis match, and sure enough, same issue with the speaker. I was told by Samsung not to spray any fluid on speaker, but a moist towel is fine. It needs to be done each time I clean it to avoid buildup. The overall suggestion is not to use it during physical activity. Oh well.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I am most certain it has to do with the accumulated sweat underneath the watch. Don't know why Samsung placed the speaker right there, underneath the watch. Anyway, I just came back from a 2 hour tennis match, and sure enough, same issue with the speaker. I was told by Samsung not to spray any fluid on speaker, but a moist towel is fine. It needs to be done each time I clean it to avoid buildup. The overall suggestion is not to use it during physical activity. Oh well.

Out of curiosity, do you wear it on your right or left hand?

It seems it would build up in the speaker more on the right hand. With the wrist bending during activity, I could see it creating a crevice to hold and build up sweat and oils being pushing into the speaker.

I wear it on the left hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have always worn mine on my left wrist, and since my last episode, I have since remove it when playing tennis, running, and at the gym...no problem since. Is there a way to suggest to Samsung for them to place the speaker on the top on the next generation of their smartwatches? I have their GS5, and its speaker is also on the back, so I have to put phone facedown to maximize the sound.

Edit: For those who may not have the sound issue yet, I was told to clean and wipe off the device daily with rubbing alcohol around the speaker to avoid possible build up in the future.

Last edited: