The Gear 2 Solo, what is the update?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It was rumored that this standalone smartwatch be launched by July, able to make/receive phone calls with its own sim card. Has Samsung decided to abandon it afterall?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
They probably haven't figured out how to make a miniature atomic battery to power the thing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
They probably haven't figured out how to make a miniature atomic battery to power the thing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Oh, man, don't start talking about nuclear fusion batteries. There's some members of the forum that would start screaming "Danger, the radiation is giving me headaches."

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I would think that at least in the U.S., it would be a tough sell to the carriers in terms of pricing to customers, especially when most customers already have calling/data plan with their existing smartphone. Unless of course, the Gear Solo comes unlocked.

Regardless, I would be first in line to buy it, and sell my existing Gear 2. The idea to do almost everything on a watch is extraordinarily and compelling, a true hands-free experience.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I would think that at least in the U.S., it would be a tough sell to the carriers in terms of pricing to customers, especially when most customers already have calling/data plan with their existing smartphone. Unless of course, the Gear Solo comes unlocked.

Regardless, I would be first in line to buy it, and sell my existing Gear 2. The idea to do almost everything on a watch is extraordinarily and compelling, a true hands-free experience.

Well, I don't think it would be too bad, with the push to go to shared plans. On at&t it would be a $10 add on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I assume it would still run Tizen(not AW). As of today, Tizen lacks even primitive ports of Evernote, Pandora/iHeart radio, Soundcloud/Shazam, a web browser (if it's even feasible on a <2" screen[it's not]), Google voice commands, youTube, etc.
That's with no effort put into making a list. I almost talked myself out of my neo.... ;)

I suppose if you only used your phone for calls and texts, and receiving/not replying to emails, it might make sense to replace a phone. Not worth even $10/month to add standalone capabilities for me. My phone is always on me unless ...no. It's always on me.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree. A Tizen stand alone, in its current state, makes no sense. It's a decent accessory, but would be a horrible phone replacement.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
A standalone would be great for me when I excercise. Riding my bike and such, I wouldn't have to lug my Note 3 out with me. So for short trips and such a standalone would be awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree. A Tizen stand alone, in its current state, makes no sense. It's a decent accessory, but would be a horrible phone replacement.

Really? If SVoice improves, better battery life, more useful apps, and we're able to reply to emails, wouldn't it make sense to do everything conveniently on your wrist, minus heavy web browing that can be reserved for home and office use via tablet or computer?

The idea of hands-free without the need to always take your smartphone out is already compelling, to me.

I can easily see standalone smartwatches replacing or taking market share from smartphones, like the tablets from notebooks... in the near future.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
If SVoice improves, better battery life, more useful apps, and we're able to reply to emails
So basically if it was totally different than what we have now? lol ;)
Both NoFaq and I put the caveats in our posts,
A Tizen stand alone, in its current state, makes no sense.
and
As of today, Tizen lacks even primitive ports...
.Maybe in the future, but the tech is not there yet.

A standalone would be great for me when I excercise.
If I was exercising I wouldn't want to take a call or answer an email. I would think I would be focused on exercising. That's me. YMMV. :)

There have been "wrist-phones" out for years. Here's one for half the price of the Neo:
Screenshot_072214_081217_AM.jpg
I'm happy with a companion device. I touch my phone a quarter as much as before my Gear 2, and it's great. But when I'm out there always pops up a need to get directions, type/dictate a text/email, check out reviews, use Amazon/eBay/Evernote/IMDb/CamScanner/Wallet/Snapchat/Scrabble/etc./etc. it simply cannot be done today on a watch. Some of those I mentioned just don't make sense on a screen smaller than an iPhone - even that's small for my liking.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree guys, things need to improve on the G2 to make the G2 Solo more compelling for the masses, but I am hopeful. Heck, I may be compelled to even buy the G2 Solo today if it's available, even with the current state of SVoice, but with a better battery life since I average about 50 calls/day and would like to check/reply on many emails. As for its small screen size, I used to do think composing email, visiting Ebay, Amazon, etc were not practical on my old Note2 compared to my desktop or tablet, but I have learned to adapt, and now I do everything on my have GS5, minus word processing and heavy web browsing.

As for any wrist-phones, they are a great idea, but I believe many do not have voice recognition like SVoice or Google Voice. Another one I have researched is Burg, but they are ugly looking, you can insert your sim card on their unlocked devices, but biggest turn off for me is their 3G limitation.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae