gear 2/neo practicality for working outside?

Alex cooper1

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey there, Im new to the forum and hopefully will find our even more good things about the beloved android thst i've missed for so long :/. I finally gave up apple for good, and I am thoroughly enjoying my galaxy s5. I have been waiting for a practical smart watch since the 6th Gen ipod shuffle was introduced. With me working in the orange groves in FL have gone through many good phones . My last disappointing purchase was the pebble smart watch, it was a good product but it did not satisfy what I was looking for in a "smart watch". I hope that maybe you guys can sway me to the gear 2 neo... I have the s view flip cover; but unless I have it in an extremely tough double layer case such as an Otterbox, I am basically stuck having to keep my phone in my pocket for long periods of time since my hands are usually wet and or dirty. My question is do you guys think the gear 2 neo would be a good buy? I listen to music when I am working as well as communicate wo think other workers via phone....

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
So it sounds like you want to use it for playing music and making/answering phone calls? If you didn't have any issues with getting it dirty like with your phone, then I guess it's not a bad idea.

Alex cooper1

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
So it sounds like you want to use it for playing music and making/answering phone calls? If you didn't have any issues with getting it dirty like with your phone, then I guess it's not a bad idea.

Thanks, I love the android central community. But yeah the overall feel/design of the pebble was more or less heavy duty and I was comfortable wearing it all the time. Even the pebble introduction video has an animation of someone with the watch on in the shower. I know with the gear neo, it claims to be waterproof, but I wouldn't risk it without necessity for things like that. But I would like to feel comfortable wearing it all the time without the worry of damage. Do you know in cases of them being used heavy duty?

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I take my gear 2 off when I work on the car or in the yard. Part of it is that I hate wearing a watch when my arms get hot and sweaty, and part of it is that working with tools, dirt, grease/oil, and water don't play well with electronics, even IP67 (don't forget that according to some, the Gear 2 sees water droplets as taps, so you may end up having trouble working it with wet hands). The Gear 2 isn't quite cheap enough for me to consider it disposable.

Another option might be a BT headset that can play multimedia audio and has voice control, so contact with your hands is minimal (like the Voyager Legend, which accepts voice commands to answer calls, though I'm not sure if it will play music).

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I take my gear 2 off when I work on the car or in the yard. Part of it is that I hate wearing a watch when my arms get hot and sweaty, and part of it is that working with tools, dirt, grease/oil, and water don't play well with electronics, even IP67 (don't forget that according to some, the Gear 2 sees water droplets as taps, so you may end up having trouble working it with wet hands). The Gear 2 isn't quite cheap enough for me to consider it disposable.

Another option might be a BT headset that can play multimedia audio and has voice control, so contact with your hands is minimal (like the Voyager Legend, which accepts voice commands to answer calls, though I'm not sure if it will play music).

If you are going to go the route of the BT Headset or speakers, I'd take a look at the Jaybird line of headphones. They work as a speakerphone and decent headphones. Bonus factor and why my recommendation is that they all have a lifetime warranty against sweat.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I take my gear 2 off when I work on the car or in the yard. Part of it is that I hate wearing a watch when my arms get hot and sweaty, and part of it is that working with tools, dirt, grease/oil, and water don't play well with electronics, even IP67 (don't forget that according to some, the Gear 2 sees water droplets as taps, so you may end up having trouble working it with wet hands).
I agree. I love my G2, only complaint I have is the need to prevent water and sweat from getting into or near the speaker of the device. Build up fluid decreases the volume, and sound quality becomes muffled and garbled.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Alex cooper1

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
If you are going to go the route of the BT Headset or speakers, I'd take a look at the Jaybird line of headphones. They work as a speakerphone and decent headphones. Bonus factor and why my recommendation is that they all have a lifetime warranty against sweat.

I'm looking into getting those as well. I have had my gear 2 neo for about 3 weeks now. To answer my original question by using it: the first few days sufficed the anticipation of making the call to verizon to order it. I was somewhat precautionary on wearing it in situations where it might be physically damaged. After the initial excitement wore off, the one complaint I had was the battery life. After continual usage, now that I have gotten into my own routine of when to charge and when to bring the charging cradle along away from home, its not too bad. I wear it out in the field; change micro irrigation jets, ride atv's, and pretty much am able to do my daily grind with it on my wrist. I will say that I am satisfied with my purchase, even though it doesn't facilitate all of my necessities, and even I think the $199.00 price tag is much too high, I am not disappointed by the purchase. By the way I purchased the zagg invisible shield screen protector today and I am no longer worried about scratches!