Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 1812dave
  • 3 Post By Sammuel1973
  • 2 Post By lizardchest
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gear Solo finally here, in September?

Samsung reportedly launching SIM-enabled Gear Solo at IFA | Android Central

I know some of you don't really care for it, but if it does everything like the Gear 2, with the addition to making calls without the smartphone and replying to emails, I will be selling my Gear 2, and use heavy web browsing on my tablet/notebook at home/office. I know there are other watches out there already that can do the same and more, but they are too bulky.

The idea of a hands free device is appealing, and I don't mind the 3G connectivity.

What do you all think?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Gear Solo finally here, in September?

I think it might be interesting if it has good battery life. Without it, I'd not be remotely interested. This sort of device needs to mature to the point where it's functional in all aspects including at LEAST a day of battery life. I sure wouldn't own it to the exclusion of a regular cell phone and I don't want to pay for another plan if that's the way it would work. They don't call it the "bleeding edge" for nothing , when referring to first-gen devices.

I have made/received calls from my Gear 2, which works amazingly well (sound quality of outgoing voice) when holding my phone isn't too practical, so I already know what it's like to use a watch as a phone. It's much better than I anticipated. Other than the cost of the Gear 2, I don't have any ongoing expenses which I would presume will be an issue with a Solo, no?

EDIT: If swapping SIM cards between one's phone and the Solo isn't too much of a hassle, then the watch could certainly be appealing to those who sometimes want to leave their phone behind (hopefully not in plain sight in their vehicle, only to be stolen! )
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
    lizardchest likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

1812dave. You bring good points. Personally, I wouldn't mind a replaceable battery for my heavy use if it's easy to pop it in/out. Since it's 3G, I would think battery should last longer than 4G or LTE. I would reserve heaving web browsing, video streaming, etc at home or office. I also like the idea of swapping SIM cards with my main smartphone. From what I read elsewhere, the Solo can be tethered with your main phone or as standalone, an option I also like. Could you imagine going out for a run, play sports, to construction sites and participate in any outdoor activities without carrying your smartphone? It's genius!

And yes, it'll be interesting how the carriers come up with charging us with this device. Should it be an add-on plan to our existing smartphone? With a SIM card slot, would the device need a new phone number altogether?

I was initially skeptical with tablets as a new product category, and I think standalone smartwatches if done right can be a successful new category too!
    1812dave, NoFaQ and lizardchest like this.

If it truly does have the option to tether to phone or use independently, that changes my thoughts completely on the functionality of the watch. I can't imagine using it for my main phone, but if I could go brief periods where I don't want to take my phone, or just forgot it, it would be nice to know I'm covered just because of my watch.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So the Gear Solo is actually called the "Gear S". I am super excited about this new device, and it looks gorgeous, imo. The SIM card slot is right underneath the watch; do we need to buy another SIM card or can we use the same one from our phone? Sadly, the speaker appears to be underneath it as well. Reportedly, we can seamlessly make and receive calls directly from our wrist, or get calls forwarded from our smartphone, as well as text, emails; it has a touchscreen keyboard. Would you consider buying it? Here's more:

Samsung Reveals Standalone Gear S Smartwatch | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sammuel1973 View Post
    No, but I expect in the future to own some sort of independent smart watch. just a matter of time.
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2

just a matter of time.
    I see what you did there.
    1812dave and NoFaQ like this.