Notifications Always Force Closes

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's a Question, How does one click on "Notifications", in the Gear Manager on the phone when it always force closes.. any suggestions, besides clearing the cache and data, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, and im running stock 4.3 not rooted??????? Am open minded to suggestions.. Thanks for any guidance anyone can shed my way... I can do everything else, except accessing the "Notifications" area in the Manager App on Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not happening for me and iam also still on 4.3. Have you tried resetting the gear? If you backup your settings in gear manager you can restore your settings.

rEVOLVE

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Here's a Question, How does one click on "Notifications", in the Gear Manager on the phone when it always force closes.. any suggestions, besides clearing the cache and data, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, and im running stock 4.3 not rooted??????? Am open minded to suggestions.. Thanks for any guidance anyone can shed my way... I can do everything else, except accessing the "Notifications" area in the Manager App on Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

This was happening to me. Do you have a ton of apps installed? I think it might be that in order to show the notifications selection, the tool has to parse all the installed applications and there might be a situation where there are too many installed for it to handle (at least for me, I have a lot of apps).
I fixed it by wiping to factory, then using Titanium Backup to restore just the minimal apps that I plan to set up notifications for. It then allowed me to go into notifications with the list of apps. Once I set up my notifications I restored the rest of my apps w/ TB.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. I wanted to update this post because I believe I may have narrowed down why I was getting the, *Gear2 Plugin* error then an immediate force close after tapping on the Notification setting in the Gear Manager app.

With what the previous poster said about having too many apps on the phone, definitely plays a factor in this.

I first had to figure out how many apps I had. Which the number was at 346 installed apps.

Then I prioritized which apps were useless or never used, along with all games and the most important ones I really used often.

Then instead factory reset and backing up. I started to uninstall each app one at a time in increments of 10.

I would always reboot the phone and try the Notifications setting till I finally became successful, opening it without error.

Conclusion: if you can get your apps down to around 185 installed apps, then your Notifications setting will open without error.

Once you've selected all the apps you want pushed notifications from sent to your watch, you should be able to reinstall all your apps you want back.

This should help those that don't want to do a factory reset.

I'm certain others may have more or less apps on their phone to gain access to the Notifications area on the Gear Manager app. But at least you can use the 185 number as a rough number.

Now I can really enjoy my Galaxy Gear 2 Neo.

Posted via Android Central App

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What rEVOLVE and Swade8 said above is precisely true. I had the EXACT same issue with my Gear 1 AND with the Gear 2 from the day it was released. I called Samsung tech support numerous times but they treated me like no one has that many apps on their phone so they want to believe it is just me having this problem. I knew it was from the number of apps that I have on my Note 3 (again because I went through the same thing with the first Gear until a couple of updates made it "better" but it still happens on that device too, where it tries to time out while loading all the apps on the phone unless I choose for it to "wait" and keep loading instead of "closing" the app). I have over 700 apps/utilities and games, and the only way I was able to resolve this problem was to do a Factory Data Reset on my phone AND on the watch, completely starting over and then ONLY install the apps I wanted notifications for, then set them up in the Gear Manager and restore all other apps afterwards...exactly like rEVOLVE did in the post above. IT WAS THE ONLY WAY! Kudos to Swade8 for finding out that the limit is really about 185 apps, I didn't have the patience to narrow it down like that, but that's good info for Sammy to know, AND IMPROVE ON.

What I STRONGLY suggest you all do is call Samsung tech support and let them know that there are more people out here like us that actually "use" their phones to the fullest and have more than a handful of apps!!!!!! Let them know that this is a real problem so they will stop ignoring it and next time hopefully develop their apps with more memory allocated to loading up these simple menu options without it crashing for months. It was really pissing me off that I have this $735 smart phone, and a new $300 smart watch that receives "ZERO NOTIFICATIONS" which doesn't make them very "smart" in my opinion, so I had to do something to resolve it! Good luck, and be sure to report this problem.

You can reach Samsung Tech Support at 888-987-4357. Please call them so that our true voices are heard and this can finally get resolved.