Pedometer over counting steps

mastrodamus

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm having an issue with my pedometer counting multiple steps for each step I take. I took the Gear 2 out running yesterday as well as my S4 with the runkeeper app to compare results for accuracy. According to runkeeper and GPS, I ran 4.75 miles, my Gear 2 says I ran 7.26 miles. That's a pretty noticeable difference and an issue for me. Is anyone running into this problem as well? Does anyone have a solution?

jesse_h

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pedometer in the watch is very sensitive, which can be a bit of a pain. Did you have it in running mode in the exercise app? I wonder if that would change something.

mustc

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
They need to come up with a tuning function. Being short, I would guess what constitutes a stride in my case would be totally different from what constitutes a stride with someone who is 6 foot eight.

Posted via Android Central App

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever had a pedometer that is accurate? If so please let me know which one. I have used several including Nike fuel band and Fitbit & none of them have compared to GPS....... They are all off.

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever had a pedometer that is accurate? If so please let me know which one. I have used several including Nike fuel band and Fitbit & none of them have compared to GPS....... They are all off.

When i started using S-Health on my S4 I did a test: I started walking from my home to a store - counting steps on S-Health AND in my head. S4 was just in a pocket in my jeans.

The walk included steps and walking IN the store with a shopping cart and turns ect.

After exactly 700 steps I compared: S-Health was less than 4 percent of!

I think you can call that pretty accurate...

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
When i started using S-Health on my S4 I did a test: I started walking from my home to a store - counting steps on S-Health AND in my head. S4 was just in a pocket in my jeans.

The walk included steps and walking IN the store with a shopping cart and turns ect.

After exactly 700 steps I compared: S-Health was less than 4 percent of!

I think you can call that pretty accurate...

I have an S4 active and a Note 3 and never got that accurate of a count..... Maybe I'm doing something wrong! But, I was referring more to wrist mounted pedometers. You have to take into account that every time you move your arm it counts as a step......... Also you can not compare steps taken to distance traveled we all have different distance traveled with each step we take. Nothing compares to GPS!

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I have an S4 active and a Note 3 and never got that accurate of a count..... Maybe I'm doing something wrong! But, I was referring more to wrist mounted pedometers. You have to take into account that every time you move your arm it counts as a step......... Also you can not compare steps taken to distance traveled we all have different distance traveled with each step we take. Nothing compares to GPS!

Yet somehow (based on my own experience), The Jawbone Up and Fibit wrist mount pedometers are far more accurate than the Gear when counting steps. If these companies can do it, then why cant the behemoth Samsung do it?

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yet somehow (based on my own experience), The Jawbone Up and Fibit wrist mount pedometers are far more accurate than the Gear when counting steps. If these companies can do it, then why cant the behemoth Samsung do it?

I have worn the Nike Fuel band and GG on the same wrist only gotten a 89 step difference between the two over 24 hour day. That is acceptable to me. I am only saying neither is as accurate as GPS.......

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
"They need to come up with a tuning function. Being short, I would guess what constitutes a stride in my case would be totally different from what constitutes a stride with someone who is 6 foot eight."

I'm not sure if anything "tunes" the pedometer on the gear 2, as it seems to read quite high in my experience, BUT you can set your height and weight in Setting>Profiles. Might help. I haven't had the inclination to test it using different ratios to fine tune it to myself.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Hehe, to answer your question (despite it being rhetorical. :) ), NO!!

I prefer to use MapMyFitness which uses GPS in the mode I use. I don't do gyms--just outdoor stuff like long walks or the occasional bit of running which tends to end up causing knee problems, causing me to revert to walking only. Such is life when one is O-L-D. :)

beavermjr

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the Noom walk app for about a year now and this past weekend upgraded to an S5 with the S Health app. I'm finding that S Health counts more steps. Right now S Health reports 890, Noom reports 612. That's a substantial difference of 31%. If Noom is low by 31% then my record of 18,496 should be 26,897. That's a difference of over 8000 steps.

Does anyone know of a pedometer app that uses GPS instead of steps? Years ago i bought a pedometer from Brookstone and it had as a setup procedure: walk 25 feet so the unit can calculate the distance of users stride. This way the device could accurately calculate distance based upon number of steps. Conversely, the apps need this so they can use GPS to get distance then calculate steps from distance walked.

Mike

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have worn a fitbit for a few years and on multiple occasions have counted steps over a reasonable distance to check to see how the fitbit does and found it to be fairly accurate. I haven't actually kept statistics, but I would say the fitbit would be within 3 to 5% of my count. After getting my Gear 2, I started checking it against the fitbit and out of a daily 5000 to 10000 steps, the Gear 2 was within 100 to 300 steps of the fitbit. So I would say the Gear 2 is fairly accurate.

BigRedGonzo

indyfsufan

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I did an experiment on my walk today. I used my Gear 2 neo pedometer and the google fit app on my phone. I set out on a three mile walk that I have measured many times with a GPS watch and when I finished the walk the Gear 2 showed 8853 steps for 3.10 miles (a little longer due to steps leaving house) and the google fit app showed 885 steps for 3.15 miles. So it seems the steps may be different but the distance is pretty accurate. How is the mileage that close but the steps are that far apart. Just my 2 cents

Brian Blount1

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
If you do the math 8853 steps is 22.5 inches a stride which is reasonable maybe a tad short so gs2 seems to be fairly accurate.

I did an experiment on my walk today. I used my Gear 2 neo pedometer and the google fit app on my phone. I set out on a three mile walk that I have measured many times with a GPS watch and when I finished the walk the Gear 2 showed 8853 steps for 3.10 miles (a little longer due to steps leaving house) and the google fit app showed 885 steps for 3.15 miles. So it seems the steps may be different but the distance is pretty accurate. How is the mileage that close but the steps are that far apart. Just my 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith