Gear Fit Known Issues

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
About all I find it good for is telling time and notifications. The health portion of it is nowhere near as good as my Up. The biggest complaint I have is that it has to be repaired and the wallpaper and some other settings need to be reset after it is turned off. I turn it off when I charge it. Maybe I shouldn't.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
About all I find it good for is telling time and notifications. The health portion of it is nowhere near as good as my Up. The biggest complaint I have is that it has to be repaired and the wallpaper and some other settings need to be reset after it is turned off. I turn it off when I charge it. Maybe I shouldn't.

I have never had a problem with re-pairing or resetting wallpaper when the fit is.turned off. Each time I turn it back on it just comes up and works with all settings as I originally set them.

jega_m

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Samsung literally lost reputation on NOT Delivering on Good App as Gear Fit with any samsung devices NOT working 100% Samsung need to fix and update Fitness Apps to work seamlessly with Gear Fit, Gear2 and Neo. Else lose market share on the wearables market and lose customers to other mobile device providers who does better

pilotnh

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I have tried several times to get the Help Messages function working on the Gear Fit using Gear Fit Manager. Enabled it, added primary contacts, pressed the power key 3 times, but no luck. All of a sudden a week later I get a panicked message from my son asking me what's wrong because the messages were finally sent. Anyone having better luck getting this to work properly?

schultz84

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is comical at best. If you have the S4 I would like to know if Samsung considers the fit band to be compatible with the S4 LEGALLY? Mine isn't compatible with S Health and the Fitness with gear is pretty much useless. If you have the S5 you are good to go. With the S4 notifications interact but the fitness side of it is useless without the app. Every call to Samsung turns into someone putting you on hold to read the user manual and then they say they will call you back. Last 2 times they didn't even call me back. I would like the S5 but my upgrade window with ATT is a year away and my S4 works great for everything else. BEYOND FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Chris Maley

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Couldnt have said it better myself - im in exactly the same boat! ive burnt numerous hours trying to figure out how Samsung expect me to use the Gear Fit with S4. The version of S Health on S4 doesn't integrate, and trying to back door the S5 version of S Health on S4 results in a crashing app.

The frustrating part is that the potential is there for this thing to be great - but Samsung isnt supporting it with software or firmware updates to make it actually usuable on anything other than an S5 by the sounds of it? Seems to be a ploy to try force happy S4 owners to buy S5's.....

pilotnh

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
It only works a little better with the S5. The S Health app is a very mediocre app when you compare it to Fitbit's software. The Find my Device feature still doesn't work properly. The Sleep app is pathetic compared to Fitbit. The Exercise feature still only offers 4 types of exercise and it often stops for no reason in the middle of your exercise. The Auto Unlock feature is flaky. The Send Help Messages feature couldn't be relied on in a real emergency.

The S5 is a great phone but don't buy it just because you think you'll like your Gear Fit better. You'll only like it slightly better and become more frustrated with the features that still don't work like they should.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the force but contemplated returning as Im starting to get irritation that I hoped would not happen.

Does Gear Fit have a friends listing too - Im an accountable type person and like having my stepsshown to / with friends and I really need that feature to stay accountable to workout daily etc.,

Is the price comparable to the force??

I do like that my S5 has this program but feel I need a wearable device because I can't carry my phone with me at work and I have a very active job wear I log a lot of bonus steps during the day....outside of my workouts.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well you just answered my question - I posted before reading all replies --- I love the friend aspect of fitbit and I know I wont enjoy this as much - I did like the fact that is had cycling as an option for exercise but some have said it stops working mid ride.....I was only exploring other options as my force is starting to irriate me now that the weather is getting nicer - they put out a voluntary recall last month but I thought I lucked out as many have seen their irriation 3 mths in......so I was just exploring other options and since s5 had shealth I was looking into getting their band but maybe I'll just get the flex.....

Bren K

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem cycling. Except mine stops, if I stop for a half minuet to rest or drink or after 30 minuets without stopping. There should be a pause feature built in like other exercise apps. Also there are times it will say it has no gps signal. I have traveled the same route using another exercise app and have not run into this problem.

I have also the problem with the Gear not waking often when I raise my arm.

Endomondo is the app. I use for cycling. It will give me audio updates as I am cycling on milage, mhp, average speed and time. This app. will pause when I pause and only stops when I tell it to. It will even show me elevation.

Last edited:

Jennifer Leggiero

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I can't get my gear fit to sync at all. I can't get past the screen on the fit that says "Select the device you want to connect to from list". The app on the phone already has it listed on there as connected though so it doesn't "find" it any more when you scan. when I click on the "connected" device it trys to connect indefinitely. Any one have any ideas? I guess I'm going to have to take it back to the store and let them try to figure it out...

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
The biggest issues for me which I'm sure will hopefully be correct with firmware or app updates.

BIG NEGATIVES

1. I also noticed that S Health is not updated to work 100% with the Gear Fit. It attempts to have you download the Gear manager and not the Gear Fit manager to sync the pedometer.

2. I don't run and I seldom go for walks or hikes so my go to Exercise reason for buying the Gear Fit was the Cycling component. Big time bust as of day 3. I commute by bike and I have attempted to use the exercise function on the gear fit 7 times as of this morning. It has failed to record all 7 of the rides accurately. It generally will shut off and quit recording data 5 to 10 minutes into each ride. Once I restarted it 3 times in a 7 mile 28 min ride giving me 3 sets of partial data with missing time from when I didn't notice it had shut off. This makes it useless for cycling. It pops up a message about inactivity or something and trust me I am moving on down the road when it happens.

3. Pedometer on Gear Fit and S Health are off by a good bit at the end of each date. 11000 vs 15000 steps as an example. I haven't had a chance to go on a long measured distance walk with a hand clicker to see which is more accurate.

4. Heart Rate data seems to be accurate when resting but is not the very accurate while actually exercising.

5. The stopwatch needs tweaked. When using this at a track meet it doesn't report the final lap time. This needs explained. The gun goes off for the mile (4 laps) and the race starts as you hit the start on the stopwatch. As the first, second, and third laps finish you hit the lap button. As they approach the finish you hit the stop button as they finish. Results on the watch show your final time but when you hit the lap results it only shows you laps 1, 2 and 3. You have to take the final time and subtract the total of the 3 laps to get the 4th lap. Seconds plus hundreths times 3 laps subtracted by total time in your head is not a lot of fun. Hitting the lap button a 4th time allows the clock to continue so you get all 4 laps but you then have to total the 4 laps in your head to get a total time. Solution - Firmware the 4th lap into the results when you hit stop button after using the lap button during the timing.

POSITIVES I DIDN'T EXPECT

1. I wasn't even interested in the notification function when I ordered it and it is my favorite thing so far. (Partially because the cycling component is a bust right now.)

2. The sleep function is interesting.

3. Looks and Feel - Love the feel and it looks impressive.

I'm confident it will get corrected as more and more people purchase them and they work out the bugs.

Like everything new, it always takes time to perfect it. Hopefully most of the issues are software related so it CAN be fixed. Everything I bought it for works pretty well but it can always stand improving. Like you I also agree it looks and feels pretty great.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have had the Gear Fit since the first day of release and it has synced only one week of my data in April with the Fitness with Gear app. The rest of my fitness data has never synced no matter how many times I update all the apps. I have a Note 3 with current update before I even bought the Gear Fit so this is very frustrating.

schultz84

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I fixed all of my issues I was having with the Galaxy S4. Samsung won and I bought the Galaxy S5 Active. Works like a charm.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I gave up on the s health with my samsung s4. I just use it as it as I don't care about their stupid S health anymore. To me notification is a key thing for me now.

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Everything works perfectly on my S5. I have both be gear 2 and gear fit and I'm liking the fit more.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
So I am just curious if there have been any updates to the Fit since it came out which has made any improvements. I posted here earlier when I had a Fit and I really liked it but still ended up returning it.. the inaccuracy of the step counter, the inflexibility/inconsistencies w/ the OS. I returned it hoping that Android Wear would be the "perfect" device but now that the first gens are out I'm not completely sold. As nice as the Moto 360 appears to be, I'm not sure that'll be the savior device either.

I'm a Fitbit Flex owner and I love it, its been giving me problems charging recently and I'm tempted to give the Fit another shot but I don't want to buy it knowing it'll still be inaccurate. Has anything changed with that? (the biggest gripe I had, aside form the step counter being off was that when cycling it would just randomly stop tracking mid-ride, and I wouldn't know...)

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Was very interested in the Gear Fit… but after reading this thread and realizing the manager app is not available for the S4, I guess it would be a waste of money.

Love the form factor, can't understand why Samsung isnt supporting it on the S4.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It does work with the S4 and Gear Fit Manager is compatible. I don't believe that S Health works with the S4.

Thanks for the clarification… I'm more interested in being able to get text, email, fb and twitter notifications… w/o having to pull my phone out every time…

Maybe I'll give it one a try. ;-)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress