Gear Fit owners - some questions for you please

pinkpoppy

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
hey all, im wanting to get the Gear Fit in the next month or 2 along with the Note 4.

reviews ive read so are hit or miss, so I wanted to ask the Gear Fit owners here - whats your opinion of this wearable gadget?
whats good? whats not?
do you recommend it?
should I wait till a new version is released, presumably a Gear Fit 2?
What issues have had with it? Have you been able to resolve those issues?

basically - anything you think of your Gear Git, spill here please!

I want to make an informed decision for this purchase - or to not get it

thanks in advance android centralers!

AlexIvn

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
IMO questions a bit broad... I have few specific
1. is there a way to export hart rate data from fit to use in other apps?
is there a tools to analyze it (look at graph of HR&time )?
2. How accurate data in different scenarios (weight lifting, cycling, walking(?
3. How stable BT connection? E.g. phone in back pocket/ back pack?

Last edited:

chraos

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Before recommending for or against, we'd need to know what you want out of your wearable tech. Here's the quick answers anyway:
1. If you're looking for a fitness tracker, this isn't the one you should get. The band isn't very comfortable, pops open fairly easily, and the screen is too hard to manipulate with sweaty fingers.
2. If you're looking for a smartwatch, it might just cut it.
3. I would wait if I were you. Either check out the Gear Live, or the Pebble. For fitness band, the FitBit Force was awesome--I think the next offering from them will be a winner.

pinkpoppy

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
my Qs may be broad, but Im not concerned, I want to any offerings Gear Fit owners have to share about it, good or bad!I simply put it out there.

I had the Fitbit Flex for a while but got annoyed with it tbh, it was waterproof to be able to wear it 24/7 but I didnt like it enough to do that, it seemed to be inaccurate for steps etc also - ended up selling it. Ive had the Nike+ sportband a few years back when I had an iPhone & really enjoyed it.

So yes, I definitely want to use it as primarily for fitness tracking, secondary a watch & lastly for quick access to basic phone features & notifications.
The fact it can do all these things in 1 wrist gadget sells me on it.

Im a Samsung fan & love the look of the Gear Fit, I want to be able to utilise its features along side the S-Health app. That way I should in theory get the most out the Gear Fit.

for the most part im keen on general info from owners :)

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Unlike others I use mine as an extension of my Galaxy S5 Active. I use some of the fitness features but am not a fitness fanatic. I think the Fit is very comfortable and I don't have a problem keeping it on but then I'm typically not doing anything that would cause it to come off. I suppose everyone is different. My main use for this device is the pedometer and the notifications. Less important but still used are Exercise and Heart Rate. I can't say for sure how accurate the pedometer is but its not overly important as I am usually just comparing the difference from one day to the next. The Heart Rate monitor is actually quite accurate but note that this is a resting heart rate. If you need something more advanced for during workouts, look elsewhere. For my needs, it works perfectly.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
my Qs may be broad, but Im not concerned, I want to any offerings Gear Fit owners have to share about it, good or bad!I simply put it out there.

I had the Fitbit Flex for a while but got annoyed with it tbh, it was waterproof to be able to wear it 24/7 but I didnt like it enough to do that, it seemed to be inaccurate for steps etc also - ended up selling it. Ive had the Nike+ sportband a few years back when I had an iPhone & really enjoyed it.

So yes, I definitely want to use it as primarily for fitness tracking, secondary a watch & lastly for quick access to basic phone features & notifications.
The fact it can do all these things in 1 wrist gadget sells me on it.

Im a Samsung fan & love the look of the Gear Fit, I want to be able to utilise its features along side the S-Health app. That way I should in theory get the most out the Gear Fit.

for the most part im keen on general info from owners :)

If you want more phone features, consider the Gear 2 Neo. While the Fit will show you who's calling, you can't answer, only reject (along with a canned rejection text). As for texting, the Fit will allow you to answer with canned responses while the Neo will allow you to answer with either canned responses or using S Voice. All of the fitness features in the Fit are also in the Neo. The Neo also has a microphone so you can make and answer calls, make voice recordings, and use some S Voice commands. You can also use it as a stand-alone music player. I like them both (my hubby took my Neo) and I got a Fit as part of a Samsung deal. It is also my opinion that no other smart watch looks as good as the Gear line. Just my opinion though.

pinkpoppy

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree, samsungs wearables are looking pretty stunning. Ive checked out the new Gear S, just online. I watched the Samsung Unpacked with the latest announcements. While the Gear S looks AMAZING! Its just way way to big for my small wrist!

overall im still leaning towards the Gear Fit, after giving it more thought, Id be happy with it for the health & fitness features I can utilize out of it, as long they are good.

superairwolf

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Just got my gear fit. Yeah, I'm late in the cycle for the gear fit, but I've been happy with my smart watches - the Toq, the Moto 360, and the LG G Watch R, just last week.

All my mechanical watches have been languishing on their winders this past year and I really wanted to be able to wear them again, but just couldn't get myself to pull out my Note 3 from my pocket again every time it vibrates, after experiencing the convenience of notifications on my wrist with my smart watches. I "discovered" that the gear fit would bridge that gap. I realized it would allow me to enjoy my mechanicals again while wearing the gear fit on my right wrist, worn underhand.

I'm not interested in the fitness functions of the gear fit since I'm physically active already. The notifications on the gear fit satisfies my needs for remote notifications on my wrist while allowing me to wear my traditional mechanical watches. I'm just amazed the gear fit didn't catch my attention earlier this year. Truly is a gem for my needs.

Having said all these, I'm really hoping Samsung will enable a touch to wake functionality on the gear fit, just like on my smart watches. The gyroscope on the gear fit that's supposed to wake it up with a wrist motion is highly unreliable. I've tried all wrist positions both on my left and right wrists, in vain. Then again, it would turn itself on with random movements, which kills the battery. In my frustration, I decided to turn of the wrist gesture wake up feature.

Is there a hardware limitation on the gear fit that will make it unlikely that Samsung will or can enable a touch to wake up functionality?

Despite this setback on waking up the gear fit, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat on top of my other smart watches. At its original SRP $200, I don't think I'd have jumped at it, but for the price I got it yesterday, $125 tax included, I think its an absolute bargain for what it does right now. Can't think of anything else that it would need that will make me wait for a Gear Fit 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Just got my gear fit. Yeah, I'm late in the cycle for the gear fit, but I've been happy with my smart watches - the Toq, the Moto 360, and the LG G Watch R, just last week.

All my mechanical watches have been languishing on their winders this past year and I really wanted to be able to wear them again, but just couldn't get myself to pull out my Note 3 from my pocket again every time it vibrates, after experiencing the convenience of notifications on my wrist with my smart watches. I "discovered" that the gear fit would bridge that gap. I realized it would allow me to enjoy my mechanicals again while wearing the gear fit on my right wrist, worn underhand.

I'm not interested in the fitness functions of the gear fit since I'm physically active already. The notifications on the gear fit satisfies my needs for remote notifications on my wrist while allowing me to wear my traditional mechanical watches. I'm just amazed the gear fit didn't catch my attention earlier this year. Truly is a gem for my needs.

Having said all these, I'm really hoping Samsung will enable a touch to wake functionality on the gear fit, just like on my smart watches. The gyroscope on the gear fit that's supposed to wake it up with a wrist motion is highly unreliable. I've tried all wrist positions both on my left and right wrists, in vain. Then again, it would turn itself on with random movements, which kills the battery. In my frustration, I decided to turn of the wrist gesture wake up feature.

Is there a hardware limitation on the gear fit that will make it unlikely that Samsung will or can enable a touch to wake up functionality?

Despite this setback on waking up the gear fit, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat on top of my other smart watches. At its original SRP $200, I don't think I'd have jumped at it, but for the price I got it yesterday, $125 tax included, I think its an absolute bargain for what it does right now. Can't think of anything else that it would need that will make me wait for a Gear Fit 2.

Not to derail this or change your mind but if you like mechanical watches but still like the smart watch notifications you might take a look at Martianwatches.com. I'm using their Notifier and it seems to fit that cross between nice mechanical and smart watch you seem to be looking for.

superairwolf

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Not to derail this or change your mind but if you like mechanical watches but still like the smart watch notifications you might take a look at Martianwatches.com. I'm using their Notifier and it seems to fit that cross between nice mechanical and smart watch you seem to be looking for.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was actually referring to my traditional Swiss mechanicals - automatic movements and hand winding movements, meaning no batteries. Been collecting mechanicals since my youth, almost two decades now, and never thought I'd go with battery powered wristwatches, until I tried out the Toq earlier this year. The only off putting thing about it was the square screen. I've never owned a square mechanical. Not my cup of tea.

The emergence of round smart watches - the Moto 360 and the LG G Watch R really excited me because of the traditional analog displays they made possible that emulate traditional analog dials.

The gear fit was a welcome discovery for me because like I said, I could wear my mechanicals again while I wear the gear fit underhand on my right wrist discreetly providing notifications from my Note 3. Best of both worlds!