Gear Fit: Running on HTC M8 ask away

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay so first lets be honest NO it shouldnt work at all so as far as I am concerned I AM NOT USING AS INTENDED...

So why did I even buy it? Well A: I am interested in a fitness tracker and am not interested ina galaxy device. B: I like shiny toys C: I really do want it to work well even if a moto 360 will be my favorite thing ever in due time, and MOST IMPORTANTLY : BB has a return policy so why the heck not try it out!!!

~whew with that out of the way.

~~Pedometer: Works and quite well actally. Those who had issues with consitancy I cant relate to. I thought it was a little off but then i began counting steps in groups of 100 and it was within 3-4%. So no not perfect, but thats fair in my openion. I did notice a little differance when carrying a cup of coffe in the hand with the Fit as it was not moving as much and thus was off by slightly more (6-7%) than when I was walking regularly.

~~Heart rate: (when on top of srist) Works quite well when sitting still or with subtle movement. This is clearly shown to not be the way recomended to test so I cant complain much. So when i was ona intence run and mid workout and wanted to test i switched to the bottem of my wrist and got pretty soild readings w/o much concern. Sweat threw it off a time or so but I was taking my preworkout so thinking I may be actually having a heart attack isnt a full surprise.

~~App functionality: TO BE FULLY DETERMINED AND WILL UPDATE... So the Fit manager app works fine and can quickly and easily select whcih notifacations I want to receive and background etc, but I have not been able to get the Health app to work. (i think I have the old .apk and need to work on it a bit to be sure.

~~Sleep mode and alarm: Yup it works I sleep it knows, I ned to wake up and yup it buszzed. Not much to be mad at here. NOTE: I am hoping with new health app or 3rd party to be able to log sleep etc, which i do not beleive is in the current app options...

~~Push Notifications: GRATZI~ they work and not to badly I must admit. No quick reply is mia, but I am actually thinking there is a fix here but I cant promise yet (working with a dev or 2 for clairifacaiton) Best thing is yes I can push form almost any app and get the notice w/o a problem. The "show on device" works well whcih was actually a surprise.

~~Media controler: Depends completely on App... Spotify has limited functionality aka play pause but I was having problems with prev/next I will try other apps in the coming days is others have inquiries.

~~Battery Life: 4 days is prob about right I may get 3.5 because I play with it alot but 4 is absolutely not a strech.

Okay so no its not perfect, but I havent seena review (w/ Sammy device) that thought it was so were all in a learnign phase including Samsung. Let me knwo what questions you have or things you want me to try out. I got the darn thing to try stuff with so please ask me what you want attempted.

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Interesting... I assume yoy sideloaded the apk and it worked? Is your m8 rooted? Notice any unusual battery drain?

Posted via Android Central App

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I am trying this too. The instructions and apks are out on the web. It seems to work okay. I also have a S5 and the syncing feature with the fitness part of the phone app does not work. It does get notifications, however, which was one of the key things for me. I have had a couple of disconnects, as well, but other than that it has been fine. I have not noticed any unusual battery drain, but will have to test over a longer period of time.

kiolbasa1

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you post the apk's that you used? The first apk I found didn't work, device would not pair. The second apk I used is the older version of the fit manager and I'm not getting any of the features outside of text notifications and heart rate sensor.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I only get text and email notifications with the apk I used. I do not even recall the site where I found it, but I just googled it. The fitness portion of the phone app does not work at all. The only fitness info is what is kept on the Fit. It also asks for the profile to be entered after every power cycle if I try to use the exercise portion. Finally, it disconnects whenever another bluetooth connection (car, bluetooth speakers, etc.) disconnects. It also has to be reconnected and reset every morning (after it is off), but it does that with the S5, too. It is not perfect, but I really use my Up more for fitness (the Jawbone software is much better than anything form Samsung) and I like getting the notifications.

kiolbasa1

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Original poster, can you provide any detail as to where you got your apk? Gdwheel and I cannot get the same functionality that you are getting.

kiolbasa1

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay so first lets be honest NO it shouldnt work at all so as far as I am concerned I AM NOT USING AS INTENDED...

So why did I even buy it? Well A: I am interested in a fitness tracker and am not interested ina galaxy device. B: I like shiny toys C: I really do want it to work well even if a moto 360 will be my favorite thing ever in due time, and MOST IMPORTANTLY : BB has a return policy so why the heck not try it out!!!

~whew with that out of the way.

~~Pedometer: Works and quite well actally. Those who had issues with consitancy I cant relate to. I thought it was a little off but then i began counting steps in groups of 100 and it was within 3-4%. So no not perfect, but thats fair in my openion. I did notice a little differance when carrying a cup of coffe in the hand with the Fit as it was not moving as much and thus was off by slightly more (6-7%) than when I was walking regularly.

~~Heart rate: (when on top of srist) Works quite well when sitting still or with subtle movement. This is clearly shown to not be the way recomended to test so I cant complain much. So when i was ona intence run and mid workout and wanted to test i switched to the bottem of my wrist and got pretty soild readings w/o much concern. Sweat threw it off a time or so but I was taking my preworkout so thinking I may be actually having a heart attack isnt a full surprise.

~~App functionality: TO BE FULLY DETERMINED AND WILL UPDATE... So the Fit manager app works fine and can quickly and easily select whcih notifacations I want to receive and background etc, but I have not been able to get the Health app to work. (i think I have the old .apk and need to work on it a bit to be sure.

~~Sleep mode and alarm: Yup it works I sleep it knows, I ned to wake up and yup it buszzed. Not much to be mad at here. NOTE: I am hoping with new health app or 3rd party to be able to log sleep etc, which i do not beleive is in the current app options...

~~Push Notifications: GRATZI~ they work and not to badly I must admit. No quick reply is mia, but I am actually thinking there is a fix here but I cant promise yet (working with a dev or 2 for clairifacaiton) Best thing is yes I can push form almost any app and get the notice w/o a problem. The "show on device" works well whcih was actually a surprise.

~~Media controler: Depends completely on App... Spotify has limited functionality aka play pause but I was having problems with prev/next I will try other apps in the coming days is others have inquiries.

~~Battery Life: 4 days is prob about right I may get 3.5 because I play with it alot but 4 is absolutely not a strech.

Okay so no its not perfect, but I havent seena review (w/ Sammy device) that thought it was so were all in a learnign phase including Samsung. Let me knwo what questions you have or things you want me to try out. I got the darn thing to try stuff with so please ask me what you want attempted.

Where did you find your apk? The one I found is the older version I believe and I'm not seeing the same amount of functionality that you are.

Lowell100

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I also have the Gear Fit working with my HTC ONE. I get the same functionality too.

There is a secret to getting it to connect to the latest app. You have to upgrade the firmware in the Gear Fit before linking it to the software. To do this you must link it to a S5. I borrowed a S5 from a friend to update the software. Then reset the Gear Fit. It then linked right up to my HTC ONE.

kiolbasa1

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I also have the Gear Fit working with my HTC ONE. I get the same functionality too.

There is a secret to getting it to connect to the latest app. You have to upgrade the firmware in the Gear Fit before linking it to the software. To do this you must link it to a S5. I borrowed a S5 from a friend to update the software. Then reset the Gear Fit. It then linked right up to my HTC ONE.

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for!

shn'g

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the gear fit. have it running on a nexus 4. for the most part I am surprised at how much works and how well it works. The only thing that is bugging me and it was kind of something I wanted was how do you get the alarm to work? is this maybe the alarm app on the HTC? because it doesn't work for me. can't even get it to get a notification from the stock android app.

I do have the gear fit and the app updated to the newest version

koolmoedee

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I've got a few questions as I recently purchased the gear fit to use with my HTC one m7.

When the gear fit goes out of Bluetooth range and disconnects. When you come back into Bluetooth range does it connect automatically to the phone or do you have to use the gear fit manager to connect it back up again?

Also it was suppose to be a big thing being able to change the band/strap. Where do you buy the other straps?

daveamar

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
hi Whitenessj,

Did you get a chance to get the health app working. I have the Gear fit working with the HTC one m8 but not being able to track the data on a app is something bothering me. Has samsung released any updates to get the sync working for the health app. Not being able to track how well i am doing is something not cool.

Let me know if you were able to get it working

Isabel_99

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody!
I need help.
I have just bought a gear fit samsung and I'm trying to connect it to my Nexus 5, but I'm not able to do that.
Could someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

NINFanInTN

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You'll need to put an APK of the same version of the Gear Fit Manager software on your phone as what's on the watch.

I have a buddy who has a Galaxy S4 and we update the watch through that, then "Backup" the APK with ES File Explorer, then he e-mails me the APK. I install it, and my phone is then up-to-date. I have a HTC One M8.

If you update the watch without updating the phone software, the time will show up wrong and most of the menus will be mixed up.