Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VSG28
  • 1 Post By MasterElwood
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play store says the Samsung Gear live only works with Samsung phones.

Anyone else see that the Gear says it's only available for Samsung phones running Android 4.3 jelly bean or higher?

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Play store says the Samsung Gear live only works with Samsung phones.-109331.jpg  
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    8,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Google Play store says the Samsung Gear live only works with Samsung phones.

Major fail. Abbbbbsolutely pointless.

¯\_(
    )_/¯ Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Pro, Attentive & Helpful

P.U.P.P.A.H / Community Rules & Guidelines / Ambassador Guides / There's no magic in Root

Default Re: Google Play store says the Samsung Gear live only works with Samsung phones.

It doesn't say "only" compatible... this really needs clarification. If it really is only compatible with Samsung, then that's a dealbreaker for me, even if I did own a Samsung phone. I won't be trapped into one manufacturer like that. (I'm looking at you, Apple.)
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

According to Samsung's website: The Gear Live can be paired with any Android device running Android 4.3 or higher for a truly connected and personal mobile experience.

Also, if you scroll down on the play store page for the Gear Live, it has a "requirements" section. That simply says any Smartphone running 4.3 or higher.

I think Google probably let Samsung sneak in that "compatible with Samsung smartphones" just to appease them. Android Wear short-circuits a lot of Samsung development and stands to pose a threat to their market dominance. Samsung owns like 70+ percent of the smartwatch market.

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

I'm a bit torn...LG has the bigger battery, but the Samsung is nicer looking and has a HR monitor. Hmmmm.

Battery? Unless you're gonna sleep with it, just charge it at night. I'm not sure of the issues with watch batteries ...

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    I'm a bit torn...LG has the bigger battery, but the Samsung is nicer looking and has a HR monitor. Hmmmm.
    The Samsung watch display is AMOLED so whenever you have a black watch face on, it consumes way less power. I will wait for reviews but I won't be surprised if the Samsung watch has a better battery life despite the 25% smaller battery.
    MasterElwood likes this.

I DO sleep with my Gear 2 neo because it tracks my sleep. But a full charge takes less than an hour so thats no problem.
    collett likes this.

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Interesting...think I'm gonna go with the Samsung.

When I go to Google play and type in Gear live I don't get anything. Where are you guys getting your information from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    8,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by dorrien12 View Post
    When I go to Google play and type in Gear live I don't get anything. Where are you guys getting your information from?

Are you trying to use the app or the mobile site? Devices only appear on the actual website.

Nexus through spacetime.

¯\_(
    )_/¯ Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Pro, Attentive & Helpful

P.U.P.P.A.H / Community Rules & Guidelines / Ambassador Guides / There's no magic in Root

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    Are you trying to use the app or the mobile site? Devices only appear on the actual website.

Nexus through spacetime.
    Was trying thru the app....found it on the mobile website. Thnks!!!

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dorrien12 View Post

You have to visit the store on your computer and not on your phone/app.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    You have to visit the store on your computer and not on your phone/app.
    Thnks