Hardware concerns

dj_segfault

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to buy either the Gear Live or the LG G in the next few days. I've been leaning towards the Gear Live, but I've seen a few (as in 3 cases) of the charger snap-on mechanism breaking in short order. I'm trying to find out if this is a vocal few (they all got it at the Google IO conference so they're all bloggers, and they all don't have a proof of purchase), or if this is a problem that affects more people.

I'm even more concerned about this, because according to the user's manual..
EXCEPT AS SET FORTH IN THE EXPRESS WARRANTY CONTAINED ON THE WARRANTY PAGE ENCLOSED WITH THE PRODUCT, THE PURCHASER TAKES THE PRODUCT "AS IS", AND SAMSUNG MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE MERCHANTABILITY OF THE PRODUCT OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE; THE DESIGN, CONDITION OR QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT; THE PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCT; THE WORKMANSHIP OF THE PRODUCT OR THE COMPONENTS CONTAINED THEREIN; OR COMPLIANCE OF THE PRODUCT WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF ANY LAW, RULE, SPECIFICATION OR CONTRACT PERTAINING THERETO. NOTHING CONTAINED IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO CREATE AN EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT. IN ADDITION, SAMSUNG SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE PURCHASE OR USE OF THE PRODUCT OR ARISING FROM THE BREACH OF THE EXPRESS WARRANTY, INCLUDING INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR LOSS OF ANTICIPATED PROFITS OR BENEFITS

I called Smasung support, and they said it comes with a 1 year warrantee (which contradicts the above), but it also doesn't cover physical damage. I'm guessing if lots of people had this problem and they tried to not cover it, there would be a lot of noise about it, but that may mean $200 wasted. We all know the charger design is awful and should not have been done that way (Both LG and Moto use a magnetic catch), but I doubt they will admit that.

Thoughts?
Experiences?
Thanks.

methods

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Then go with the G watch. The charging cradle is superior to the gear live but there have been a few issues with the G watch's contacts becoming corroded. If you waited this long you might as well wait until after the Moto 360 is released with wireless charging.

Posted via Android Central App

AJC1973

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
ya know i think the hub bub about the charger on the gear live is a lil blown out of proportion... its nearly identical to the charger of the other samsung watches while it is a little cumbersome its been a proven design..

i currently do not have a samsung watch, a friend of mine does, hes had all three watches but holding off on the live for now... but he said yes it takes a lil getting used to but to actually break it the person using it has to try pretty hard to do that. so im taking his word for it

i have the meta watch it was a decent design its a clip you sometimes have to mess with get the connectors lined up but it works pretty well sure you can see the watch face when its plugged in, but really why do i want to?

dj_segfault

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
So far every case I have heard of after searching... has been a blogger who got it from Google IO, and there were only THREE of them. I can't find more than three people who had this problem, but it's spreading like wildfire because they are bloggers.

eprisencc

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a problem with it. I don't notice it. It snaps right on for me and disconnects easily.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PeterY125

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I did have a problem with the charger dock snap on mechanism with the Gear Live I bought from Google play. After about two week, it would not snap on any more. However I called Google and they exchanged the watch. So far so good with the second watch.

shikem

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine broke right where the charger snaps on.
There is a small slot that it clips into.
It is very close to the mIcrophone hole and the small piece between them broke.
I got a replacement and now it has broken in the exact same spot. It's only a week old WTF?

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion, and how I connect it, is to attach it right side (mic side) first then left. This way you don't apply pressure to the part with less structural integrity.

Posted via the Android Central App

Squidyman

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to buy either the Gear Live or the LG G in the next few days. I've been leaning towards the Gear Live, but I've seen a few (as in 3 cases) of the charger snap-on mechanism breaking in short order. I'm trying to find out if this is a vocal few (they all got it at the Google IO conference so they're all bloggers, and they all don't have a proof of purchase), or if this is a problem that affects more people.

I'm even more concerned about this, because according to the user's manual..

I called Smasung support, and they said it comes with a 1 year warrantee (which contradicts the above), but it also doesn't cover physical damage. I'm guessing if lots of people had this problem and they tried to not cover it, there would be a lot of noise about it, but that may mean $200 wasted. We all know the charger design is awful and should not have been done that way (Both LG and Moto use a magnetic catch), but I doubt they will admit that.

Thoughts?
Experiences?
Thanks.

Yup. I know this is a rather dead post, but I think I should mention that my charger had broken after about 5 months of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith