Samsung Gear S for preview at AT&T on Fri, 9/26/14

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Thanks. Unfortunately, nearest location is further than I'm willing to drive just to look.

How is the pricing is going work since the watch is essentially a phone?
Any new Tizen OS features coming?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Cool. Thanks. Unfortunately, nearest location is further than I'm willing to drive just to look.

How is the pricing is going work since the watch is essentially a phone?
Any new Tizen OS features coming?
No problem. Just got back. As expected, the Sales guy knew a lot less, ha. AT&T will charge $10 monthly on top of your current phone plan. It is confirmed, another separate number will be given with a separate nano sim card. As expected, you can call forward all calls from your phone to your watch and vice versa, but the Sales guy is unsure which number, the watch or phone, will show up on outgoing calls from the watch. No additional Tizen features other than what has been listed on the web. You can not do web browsing, just emailing, texting, and calling.

The face of device is big, but doable imo. Since it was only in retail demo mode, I couldn't do much testing with it like calling, emailing, etc without the nano sim card.

Last edited:

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Gear S looks huge. I am 5'8 and 190 lbs and am unsure now. I will still have to try it on but starting to have some doubts.
Edit: My wife said she can wear the Gear S as an ankle bracelet.

Last edited:

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Appreciated Samuel1973. Btw, what was your assessment of the screen in terms of brightness and contrast? It looks a little washed out in the picture, but that could be explained several ways. Also, did the AT&T guy say anything about them bundling the Gear S with the Note 4? Thanks again, and please post any other pictures you took.

brownsdawg

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from trying one on at my local store. It had the white band, which really made it look even more huge. Maybe with a black band it wouldn't look as bad. It is kind of cool however I would never buy one because it is too big. I think they were able to fit the functionality of this into something the size of the gear fit that would be a big seller. Also the sales guy told me that you would just swap your SIM card out the watch to your phone he didn't mention anything about having a separate SIM card although he didn't really know much.

One bonus about this visit was me playing with an LG G watch, which isn't as big as I thought on my wrist. And it looked pretty slick with Google voice. It's too blocky though, needs to fit the curve of a wrist better.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Gear S looks huge. I am 5'8 and 190 lbs and am unsure now. I will still have to try it on but starting to have some doubts.
Edit: My wife said she can wear the Gear S as an ankle bracelet.
LOL, it is actually not that bad. The white security band certainly makes it look bulkier. If you want to see more, there are plenty of YouTube videos. Here's another pic against my current Gear 2.

Attachments

• 1411779760407.jpg
    1411779760407.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 29

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Appreciated Samuel1973. Btw, what was your assessment of the screen in terms of brightness and contrast? It looks a little washed out in the picture, but that could be explained several ways. Also, did the AT&T guy say anything about them bundling the Gear S with the Note 4? Thanks again, and please post any other pictures you took.
You are very welcome. The screen is to die for, very sharp and bright. Samsung is usually the best on displays. My pic doesn't do it justice. Since nothing on pricing yet, the Sales guy doesn't know. I even asked about any special promotion and trade-in...nothing yet.

Tim Nice

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I regularly check for news and updates on the website "Tizen Experts" for this smart watch, according their latest article the watch will be available in Germany on 17 October for Euro 399 (USD = $500+). The watch looks slick to me and I'm intrigued by the 3G standalone capabilities, but at that price point I would like to see more. I would like to see better apps that are compatible with Android, maybe some kind of kit to convert the strap to a more premium strap (metal or leather) and what options would be available in terms of 3G plans (Verizon). What do you guys think, is $500 too much to spend on a smart watch?

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the Edge at a big best buy by me, but they had no idea on timing for the gear s. I will check back with them this week.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Any word on when Best Buy or other retailers will have S in store for display?
Sorry, I was at my local Best Buy to play with the Note Edge, but the sales guy said they don't have the Gear S on display. As one article states, TMobile will have it on 10/17/14 as well as the Note 4. I suspect we'll hear more in the next week.

Last edited:

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I called my local ATT store today and asked when they are going to have the watch... He said "I don't know...did they release it?". You can safely assume that was the end of that conversation. With that said, clearly ATT is not sharing any information with their employees. At this point I just don't think Samsung is too excited about giving us any information on a release date. I found and posted an article here where a big-wig at T-Mobile stated a launch of the Gear S at the same time as the Note 4. I am starting to think something is not right with that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I cannot see them saying on Monday, "update, the Gear S will be for sale on Friday". HAHA

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Today, Mobile Fun listed the Gear S available in 2-3 weeks and ready for pre-order at a price of $446.99.

Great find, Sir!
Humm...no firm date though hu? Either they are jumping the gun or maybe we will see some more details by the end of the week.