Anyone *seen* and *like* the Gear S?

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm very anxious to see the Gear S, since I was an early adopter of the Gear watch. I had the Gear 1, currently have the Gear 2, and plan to get the Gear S. Surprisingly with all the ATT stores having the Gear S available to see, I have not heard a lot of reviews! It seems more or less that the few reviewers are saying "it's huge", and that's it.

So...did anyone here try it on and LOVE IT?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I am super excited for the Gear S as well. The local AT&T store I went to only has the device in retail mode, so I couldn't play much with it. I suspect all others in the country are the same.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I am super excited for the Gear S as well. The local AT&T store I went to only has the device in retail mode, so I couldn't play much with it. I suspect all others in the country are the same.

Was the size manageable for you? Personally I like big watches, but not gaudy (or obnoxious). The concept is awesome and I'm willing to pay $10 a month to At&T, but again the watch has to fit right. Some pics I've seen look great, and others look completely horrible and FAR too big for the persons wrist.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Was the size manageable for you? Personally I like big watches, but not gaudy (or obnoxious). The concept is awesome and I'm willing to pay $10 a month to At&T, but again the watch has to fit right. Some pics I've seen look great, and others look completely horrible and FAR too big for the persons wrist.
It's a tradeoff, I think. The screen is to die for, and it is noticeably most impressive; great for scrolling and reading long text and email. Personally, I don't mind the size, but can understand why some others think it's too big. Perhaps for those people, if the width is more narrow....perhaps Samsung can come up with a smaller variant later.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
It's a tradeoff, I think. The screen is to die for, and it is noticeably most impressive; great for scrolling and reading long text and email. Personally, I don't mind the size, but can understand why some others think it's too big. Perhaps for those people, if the width is more narrow....perhaps Samsung can come up with a smaller variant later.

Gotcha. Well that's good to hear the size doesn't bother you. If I recall correctly, some people thought the Gear 1&2 were "big". To me it's about the right size if not a bit small. I do like how the gear 2 is thinner than the gear 1, so that will be interesting to compare to the "S".

I still like my Gear 2 as a daily wearable, but the phone connectivity and WIFI will be nice.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Well this is interesting...only one person responded to this post. It's at 125 ATT locations right now, and just one comment on "seeing & liking" the watch? I wonder if this thing is going to be a flop due to price? $450 + 10 a month...

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I saw it at AT&T Columbia, Md store last week, but it was dead and the folks didn't even know how or when they would have it charged up because they "just got it". I couldn't even get it on my wrist due to the way they had it locked down. Otherwise, the S felt sort of big in the hand but lightweight, and was extra chunky because it was attached to the security band, gizmo. I guess I'll wait a few more days until all the stores have one in stock and operational.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I saw it at AT&T Columbia, Md store last week, but it was dead and the folks didn't even know how or when they would have it charged up because they "just got it". I couldn't even get it on my wrist due to the way they had it locked down. Otherwise, the S felt sort of big in the hand but lightweight, and was extra chunky because it was attached to the security band, gizmo. I guess I'll wait a few more days until all the stores have one in stock and operational.

Haha that is funny!!

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw it today. Compared it to the size of my Galaxy Gear 2 Neo. The screen size is much bigger than the Gear 2. Almost looks like a women's fashion bracelet on my wrist. I think someone might mistaken it for one when it's not on. Display is nice and menu has been improved. Overall I hate the look of my Galaxy gear 2 and I was hoping that this would look better. Might take me awhile to get used to but overall it's way too big. I think I'll stay with my gear neo.
ef791a15843c4d65ad0b4854f6bc2bf1.jpg

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I saw it today. Compared it to the size of my Galaxy Gear 2 Neo. The screen size is much bigger than the Gear 2. Almost looks like a women's fashion bracelet on my wrist. I think someone might mistaken it for one when it's not on. Display is nice and menu has been improved. Overall I hate the look of my Galaxy gear 2 and I was hoping that this would look better. Might take me awhile to get used to but overall it's way too big. I think I'll stay with my gear neo. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/12/ef791a15843c4d65ad0b4854f6bc2bf1.jpg

Thank you very much for the honest review!! Do you think you might like the black better? Thanks for the pic too...

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure. The jury is out. I was really hoping that I would like it more. Not sure if I want to wear a women's clasp bracelet on my wrist.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
TechFan, that's funny you mention that. I was just talking to my wife about it... She asked if I was going to get the white or black. With the gear 1 and 2 I've usually used a white band, but due to the size I may not in the Gear S. My thought was exactly what you said...that it might be too flashy in the white. Black might have more of a masculine look about it.

Dingster1, are you in the USA? Technically we don't know what the price is yet... What is a Martian? New product I've missed? I'm dead set on the 3G, so if any watch comes out that competes with that, I'm game to check it out!!

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ha, you guys are funny. I guess I am the only one who would even want a bigger display screen than the current size of the Gear S. *If* the eventual intention is for a smartwatch to replace a smartphone, then a bigger screen would make sense, provided that it would be thinner and more wrapped around the wrist, with a longer lasting batttery. Personally, I wouldn't mind a 4" smartwatch display screen, curved, thin, etc...makes for better viewing and overall experience. No, I am not talking about wrapping ducktape to my phone against my wrist. Samsung's Youm flexible display screen technology may allow for that in a few years, I think. The Pine smartwatch and the others out there now are way too bulky.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
TechFan, that's funny you mention that. I was just talking to my wife about it... She asked if I was going to get the white or black. With the gear 1 and 2 I've usually used a white band, but due to the size I may not in the Gear S. My thought was exactly what you said...that it might be too flashy in the white. Black might have more of a masculine look about it.

After reading some reviews, I found out that the band sizes vary in the color. Not sure which band was the widest but, I speculate the white one was the widest. If I was going to get it, I would get the blue/black one as opposed to the white.

My first GG was the Oatmeal Beige. It stayed clean for awhile and then got dirty. Never really got it 100% clean. Samsung just told me to use water and that would not do it. Then I got the mocha brown for the GG 2 Neo. That one has been decent. I never really got over the 80's watch theme though.

I really like the fact that the new GG S has a curved display to get more mileage out of the screen. I did find it awkward to scroll through the screen from top to bottom of the screen and selecting items at the bottom was a little awkward. That was the other part, I did not like.

My objection to the device is that its too big, the price is way too high and if I need a $10 data fee assessed per month, I am not sure I want to get it. When I think about it, I could take the $450 for the unit and put it towards an unlocked phone or even towards another tablet. Don't get me wrong, I think the device is real cool and has some potential but all in all its not for me.

Dingster1, are you in the USA? Technically we don't know what the price is yet... What is a Martian? New product I've missed? I'm dead set on the 3G, so if any watch comes out that competes with that, I'm game to check it out!!

DINGSTER1

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
@Gsfxr, yes I'm in the U.S. I found out about the Martian smartwatch line on Smartwatch Forums. $200-300. More watch, then smart, style wise

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Here is a 30+ minute new YouTube video on the Gear S, although in Russian. It shows SVoice, the app store, S Health, nano sim card, making/receiving calls, and more. This video seems to show the device in end user's mode, not retail mode.

Видеообзор Samsung Gear S: http://youtu.be/H18EzNn8NWA

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Here is a 30+ minute new YouTube video on the Gear S, although in Russian. It shows SVoice, the app store, S Health, nano sim card, making/receiving calls, and more. This video seems to show the device in end user's mode, not retail mode.

Видеообзор Samsung Gear S: Видеообзор Samsung Gear S - YouTube

Awesome! I'm going to check it out now.

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Even without english, this tells me everything I wanted to know about the Gear S, which I pre-ordered last week. Again, with the right custom band, the Gear S will look great as a wrist communicator, not a "smartwatch".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC