Gear S available November 7th

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You can buy the Gear S and don't use any SIM card or swap the SIM card between your phone and Gear S. You just can't have both with SIM cards. That will require change to your account.

I seriously doubt Gear S will be $300 off contract on AT&T. We will see. Since Gear S is 3G only, at worst, we can still buy the T-Mo version and use it on AT&T. No sure what kind of bands these will support as T-Mo requires AWS support.

The original spec for Gear S (GSM) shows only dual bands: either 900/1800 or 850/1900. This will make it truly useless (for stand alone use) for those travel internationally. For US, 850/1900 works for AT&T but a lot of T-Mo 3G towers are still on AWS (1700/2100).
Thanks, but according to what was explained to me at a local AT&T store and from watching a Russian YouTube video, you get a separate sim card for the Gear S, so you don't need to remove the back of your phone and your Gear S to put in the same sim card.

Also, the rep at AT&T had a cheat sheet that said 4G connectivity, not 3G. Apparently so does TMobile. Here's a snapshot:

Attachments

• 1414796031544.jpg
    1414796031544.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 27

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but according to what was explained to me at a local AT&T store and from watching a Russian YouTube video, you get a separate sim card for the Gear S, so you don't need to remove the back of your phone and your Gear S to put in the same sim card.

A sim card must be associated with an account and activated. It is not clear that if you can add a device like Gear S without removing your unlimited data plan.
Also, the rep at AT&T had a cheat sheet that said 4G connectivity, not 3G. Apparently so does TMobile. Here's a snapshot:
LOL. AT&T, and many other US networks, calls its 3G network 4G (a.k.a. fake 4G). The real 4G is called LTE. If it doesn't say LTE, it is not real 4G.

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Reesh, do you and anyone else find it really odd that there aren't any new and real (english language) Gear S unboxings and reviews on line just one week before release date? I'm still getting one Friday, but I'm thinking that Samsung knows the Gear S isn't quite ready for prime time so they haven't released any review units to the normal tech suspects. Maybe next week we'll get a slew of reviews before the 7th?

Btw, I think my Russian is getting better and better!! check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_3c7OVSqos7zLsa3Ulfq4w

Last edited:

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Reesh, do you and anyone else find it really odd that there aren't any new and real (english language) Gear S unboxings and reviews on line just one week before release date? I'm still getting one Friday, but I'm thinking that Samsung knows the Gear S isn't quite ready for prime time so they haven't released any review units to the normal tech suspects. Maybe next week we'll get a slew of reviews before the 7th?

Btw, I think my Russian is getting better and better!! check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_3c7OVSqos7zLsa3Ulfq4w
Honestly I haven't even looked. I don't think it's strange at all. Things like this are still trying to find their place in the world so doing reviews seems a little unnecessary like it is for a phone. I would say maybe even they don't make enough to send to a lot of reviewers. But I could be wrong. I will be there next Friday to check it out.

From my smokin' hot Note 4