Who else is rocking the Gear S sans data plan?

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I think it's great that the Gear S can function as a stand alone device, but for me I just don't need that feature. I always have my phone on me or it's within the Bluetooth range, so it's always gonna be connected. Anyone else using their watch with just bluetooth?

brandonh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
A great alternative to a carrier plan is the $15 prepaid byot straight talk prepaid plan. This gets you 1 gb per month, which seems like plenty for the gear s... and you can stop any time.

I am doing this with an att gear s.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
A great alternative to a carrier plan is the $15 prepaid byot straight talk prepaid plan. This gets you 1 gb per month, which seems like plenty for the gear s... and you can stop any time.

But what is the benefit over the carrier plan which is $5 cheaper?

From my smokin' hot Note 4

brandonh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
But what is the benefit over the carrier plan which is $5 cheaper?

From my smokin' hot Note 4
No carrier "line of service" restrictions and the freedom of month to month.

I lived in Europe for 3 years, so I am a full convert to prepaid and purchasing outright.

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site

are you doing this right now? that is, are you using the Straight Talk nano SIM in your AT&T Gear S already? Are there any issues? Is everything working the way it should with forwarding and remote and standalone modes?

EDIT: answered my own question. I looked it up and the BYOT plans do not include voice or text service. So what can you do with data only?

Last edited:

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I kept my existing plan and giving the watch it's own number only costs $10 a month. Thats just a no brainer to me.

Are you on AT&T? I gather you have a mobile share plan? I ask because I was told that I can only get the phone added to my account if I switched my account to a mobile share plan. If you got them to add the phone to your account with an unlimited plan, I would love to know how.

brandonh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
are you doing this right now? that is, are you using the Straight Talk nano SIM in your AT&T Gear S already? Are there any issues? Is everything working the way it should with forwarding and remote and standalone modes?

EDIT: answered my own question. I looked it up and the BYOT plans do not include voice or text service. So what can you do with data only?

SMS and Data work, no voice. I am more interested in having data for maps, streaming music, email, fitness apps etc. Biggest use case for me is Nike+ running and Milk for streaming music when I am out for a run. No more Note4 strapped to my arm.

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
SMS and Data work, no voice. I am more interested in having data for maps, streaming music, email, fitness apps etc. Biggest use case for me is Nike+ running and Milk for streaming music when I am out for a run. No more Note4 strapped to my arm.

OK. That might work for me (though I am perplexed as to how SMS is working, if you know why please share) as I don't talk on the phone much anyway. Can I ask for some practical information? How did you get you SIM, did you order online or pick up in a store? If so, which store - Best Buy, Walmart? And did you buy the plan online or was it part of the purchase with the SIM? From what I see on the Straight Talk site, the up front is 24.99 (9.99 for the SIM and $15 for the tablet data plan), did you get it for cheaper than that? Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried Nike+ app and it requires the phone to be connected via BT. So you can't leave your Note4 far away. It's stupid.

brandonh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
OK. That might work for me (though I am perplexed as to how SMS is working, if you know why please share) as I don't talk on the phone much anyway. Can I ask for some practical information? How did you get you SIM, did you order online or pick up in a store? If so, which store - Best Buy, Walmart? And did you buy the plan online or was it part of the purchase with the SIM? From what I see on the Straight Talk site, the up front is 24.99 (9.99 for the SIM and $15 for the tablet data plan), did you get it for cheaper than that? Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.
Go to walmart brick and mortar. In the phone section they have all the straight talk Sims including the data only. 1 gb data sim is 24.99, which includes the first month of data.

sms usually works on most data sims. Carriers do not bother deactivating it because most tablets do not have texting capabilities.

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Go to walmart brick and mortar. In the phone section they have all the straight talk Sims including the data only. 1 gb data sim is 24.99, which includes the first month of data.

sms usually works on most data sims. Carriers do not bother deactivating it because most tablets do not have texting capabilities.

OK. Thanks.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The nike app requires the phone to be in range? Really? So the only app you can run with is s health? What about endomondo?

I think alot of app are going to need updating as these are all gear apps designed for the Original Gear watches.

Posted via the Android Central App

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep - same problems we had on the Gear 2... are all still here on the S. Unless we get some app's that work all you are really getting is a curved screen and better speaker (if you are not using the s as a stand alone phone).

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Does the remote connect mode work with this type of SIM? That is the mode where the Gear S is connected to the phone via the mobile network.
The manual describes this mode as:
"Connected Remotely
When connected remotely, the Gear S is not connected to the smartphone via Bluetooth, but is still connected to the smartphone via the mobile network. While connected remotely, the Gear S can receive notifications and calls from the smartphone, calls and SMS messages to the Gear S phone number, and have limited access to Samsung Gear app functions. Calls which are placed will be dialed from the Gear phone number."

Appreciating that the BYOT SIM would not be able to make calls, can it do everything else in this description? In particular, can you receive notifications and calls from the smartphone and SMS messages to the Gear S phone number?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis