How to ONLY use phone's number for both phone and Gear S?

John409

May 21, 2014
Visit site
In the manual it states "If a Bluetooth connection between the two devices is not available, outgoing calls
will only be made from the Gear." that blows

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
In the manual it states "If a Bluetooth connection between the two devices is not available, outgoing calls
will only be made from the Gear." that blows
I know, there got to be a way around it. If not now, hopefully soon. I just don't want to give out my 2nd number.

Last edited:

tl600f4i

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
On Verizon, I've confirmed that on cellular/no Bluetooth, my texts come from my cell phone's number but outgoing voice calls has been confirmed to come from the gear's phone number. I rarely make outgoing calls anyway so that doesn't bother me at all since texting works just fine.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
On Verizon, I've confirmed that on cellular/no Bluetooth, my texts come from my cell phone's number but outgoing voice calls has been confirmed to come from the gear's phone number. I rarely make outgoing calls anyway so that doesn't bother me at all since texting works just fine.

On AT&T without Bluetooth and on mobile; outgoing calls AND outgoing text came from the Gear S number, try sending one and see what happens.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been using google voice for years so I have a google alias number for all my frequent contacts. So I can call them and text them from my gear s watch using my number that everybody knows which is my Google Voice number. Plus they don't have to wait forever when they call me for the call to be forwarded to my watch because it will ring my watch and my phone at the same time.

Posted via the Android Central App

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been using google voice for years so I have a google alias number for all my frequent contacts. So I can call them and text them from my gear s watch using my number that everybody knows which is my Google Voice number. Plus they don't have to wait forever when they call me for the call to be forwarded to my watch because it will ring my watch and my phone at the same time.

I just set up my google voice last night. And I see the option to have it forwarded to more than one number. Let's say the number I set up is 123.

1) Add my Gear S number?

2) Should I keep the voicemail going to my carrier or to Google voice (transcription stinks but I do like that it texts or email me, does that get better over time?).

3) Then give everyone my google voice number (123) and that will ring both whether I'm bluetooth connected or not?

4) How about when I need to call out or text, will that show coming from the 123 number I set up or the Gear S original number?

5) How about when I leave my phone at home?

6) What settings should I have for Blutooth/ Remote, etc.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
1) Add my Gear S number?

Yes, also add your cell phone number.

2) Should I keep the voicemail going to my carrier or to Google voice (transcription stinks but I do like that it texts or email me, does that get better over time?).

I have it go to Google Voice. Transcription quality varies. It has a lot to do with how clearly the caller speaks.

3) Then give everyone my google voice number (123) and that will ring both whether I'm bluetooth connected or not?

Yes, as long as you also added your cell phone number to Google Voice.

4) How about when I need to call out or text, will that show coming from the 123 number I set up or the Gear S original number?

It will show up as your GV number if you call people to their Google alias number. You get their Google alias when they text you to your Google Voice number. Since I've had GV for years I have stored all my frequently called number's Google alias. This is the part that will require time to build up depending on the number of contacts you frequent.

5) How about when I leave my phone at home?

You can be remote connected to receive emails and other notifications. You don't have to be remotely connected if you just want to receive calls and texts because GV is already forwarding those to you regardless.

If my phone is on me I'm connected by Bluetooth. If it isn't I'm connected remotely. If I don't care to receive email and other notifications I turn off my phone and still receive calls and texts to my watch just like any other phone.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

If my phone is on me I'm connected by Bluetooth. If it isn't I'm connected remotely. If I don't care to receive email and other notifications I turn off my phone and still receive calls and texts to my watch just like any other phone.

Thanks soooooo much for answering all my questions the way you did. Just two more...I think.

With this last option with your phone OFF,

A- because you used GV, your calls and texts are still being forwarded to the Gear S like usual. And

B- if you decide to then contact someone by phone or text as long as you use their google alias number then it will look like it's coming from the number I set up (the GV 123 number I gave everybody), correct?

John409

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I know it should be rooted soon but if the network isn't capable then we're screwed. how could Samsung Screw up a "companion" device with the best feature you could have. I'm not giving out a second number to everyone I know.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Excuse me for being confused. I am tempted to set up a GV account just so that when I call out and text from my watch that my phone number shows up, not my watch number. I have a few questions:

When prompted to choose a GV number, shouldn't that be my cell phone number? I mean, if I have to choose a new number for my GV, wouldn't that be a total of 3 numbers: cell, watch, and GV? If I should choose a new number, wouldn't I have to tell friends of that new number, the same way otherwise like my watch number?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
A- because you used GV, your calls and texts are still being forwarded to the Gear S like usual.

Yes

B- if you decide to then contact someone by phone or text as long as you use their google alias number then it will look like it's coming from the number I set up (the GV 123 number I gave everybody), correct?

Yes

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me for being confused. I am tempted to set up a GV account just so that when I call out and text from my watch that my phone number shows up, not my watch number. I have a few questions:

When prompted to choose a GV number, shouldn't that be my cell phone number? I mean, if I have to choose a new number for my GV, wouldn't that be a total of 3 numbers: cell, watch, and GV? If I should choose a new number, wouldn't I have to tell friends of that new number, the same way otherwise like my watch number?

You are correct. When you setup your GV and choose a number you will have 3 numbers. It is a pain at first because you have to give everyone your new number but once it gets out you will no longer have to give out different numbers even if your main number changes or you get another watch number or whatever because you will just change your settings in GV again.

I believe you can port your existing number to GV but I never did that because I was fine just getting a fresh number and starting from scratch.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. When you setup your GV and choose a number you will have 3 numbers. It is a pain at first because you have to give everyone your new number but once it gets out you will no longer have to give out different numbers even if your main number changes or you get another watch number or whatever because you will just change your settings in GV again.

I believe you can port your existing number to GV but I never did that because I was fine just getting a fresh number and starting from scratch.

Cool, thanks. So can you confirm and explain how when you call or text from your watch that your GV number shows up instead of your watch's number?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks. So can you confirm and explain how when you call or text from your watch that your GV number shows up instead of your watch's number?

I don't mean to be rude but I've already done that in this thread. Please read the posts above for your answer.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't mean to be rude but I've already done that in this thread. Please read the posts above for your answer.

No, you are not rude, in fact helpful and patient. Yes, I reread your posts. At this time, I am going to stay put and not use Google Voice. Depending on any possible future update, I may need to give out my Gear number instead. Thanks though!

jessphoto16

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, quick question... is this a connection with bluetooth only or do you already pay for the seperate watch plan? When I disconnect from my bluetooth it shows connected by watch only. Im confused on the remote connection. To me it sounds like you do not need a second line for this, as it uses your moible plan. I reread the manual mult times but not clear on this. Can you guys help?
I have the att version

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, quick question... is this a connection with bluetooth only or do you already pay for the seperate watch plan? When I disconnect from my bluetooth it shows connected by watch only. Im confused on the remote connection. To me it sounds like you do not need a second line for this, as it uses your moible plan. I reread the manual mult times but not clear on this. Can you guys help?
I have the att version

I pay $5/month to TMobile for the line. I add this additional line number to my GV number which is the number I give out to everyone as I've had it for a few years already.

Steve6371

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy s6 and am planning on getting a samsung gear s to pair with it. Do I need to buy a share contract through EE or just use my sim in my phone when not taking my phone with me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000