How to receive and reply text with your phone number on your Gear?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this was explained before. When I have my phone turned off for standalone and call waiting enabled from my phone to my Gear, I can't seem to receive texts going to my phone number on my Gear. It only works to my Gear number. As for replying, I can only do it with my Gear number. Thanks

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to forward text, only calls. So, you will have to have your phone on, not off, in order to receive text from your phone's number.

Text forwarding does not exist. Some say it is due to security concerns (all those authentication code sent to you). Call forwarding are quite easy. I prefer set it up manually instead of rely on Gear Manager to do it (my host phone doesn't even have SIM card :) ).

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
So for now, I can receive/reply text with my phone number to my Gear as long as I keep my phone on but still leave it in my car, home, office, etc? If so, I am ok with that for the 3 hours I am away from my phone.

But replying texts will obviously come from my Gear number, correct?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
But replying texts will obviously come from my Gear number, correct?

Not necessary. IIRC, as long as you remote connected to your phone. Text reply will show Phone number, not Gear number because the reply is actually done on the phone via the remote connection.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Not necessary. IIRC, as long as you remote connected to your phone. Text reply will show Phone number, not Gear number because the reply is actually done on the phone via the remote connection.

Thank you so much. Yes, I just did a test...reply and compose new text does in fact come from my phone number, not my Gear number...as long as I have my phone on, but with remote connect. If my phone is off though, text come from my Gear number.

So I guess there is no need to give out my 2nd number (Gear S) as long as I can have remote connect with my phone on? If so, I am a happy camper.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Should never give out your Gear Number because in the case where your Gear S is connected to the phone with BT, the cell radio on Gear S is forced off, you can't receive call or text on Gear S numbers in that mode.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
See I'm not really sure. All yesterday I had my phone remotely connected. Someone was accidentally texting my gear (they had the wrong number). The texts did NOT come thru on my phone AT ALL. So even if you are remotely connected I think you can still get calls thru on the Gear number. Another time I was on my phone talking and got another call thru to my Gear only. Maybe I have a Gear Super lol

From my smokin' hot Note 4

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Remotely Connected???? If I leave my phone home but still on, and I am several miles away, am I still remotely connected?
For me, my Gear is remote connected even though I am 20 miles away, I think cuz as long as I have TMobile connection on my Gear, if wifi is not available. Maybe I am wrong?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
For me, my Gear is remote connected even though I am 20 miles away, I think cuz as long as I have TMobile connection on my Gear, if wifi is not available. Maybe I am wrong?

I think I am getting it. Remotely connected to the Tmobile network. I don't have to leave my watch on.

It is a learning curve for all of us.. But, we are getting there...

thanks,

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
See I'm not really sure. All yesterday I had my phone remotely connected. Someone was accidentally texting my gear (they had the wrong number). The texts did NOT come thru on my phone AT ALL. So even if you are remotely connected I think you can still get calls thru on the Gear number. Another time I was on my phone talking and got another call thru to my Gear only. Maybe I have a Gear Super lol

You mis-read. If you are BT connected, not remote connected, all calls to watch number will go straight to voice mail.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Remotely Connected???? If I leave my phone home but still on, and I am several miles away, am I still remotely connected?

Remote connected is Samsung's way of saying cloud connected (notice the icon). Your phone will use whatever way if can connect to your Samsung account in the cloud while your watch will do the same. You can be on the other side of the world, and they will still be connected this way.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
You mis-read. If you are BT connected, not remote connected, all calls to watch number will go straight to voice mail.
But I was bluetooth connected when I wad on the phone with my mom and got a call to my gear only. It didn't come thru on my phone. So does bluetooth somehow disconnect if I'm on the phone?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When you are on a phone call, your phone won't be able to forward calls to Gear S. So it is possible that it unhooked the calling part and Gear S will not disable the radio. Try call you Gear number while you are not using the phone, e.g. from another phone and see what happens. For me, it is straight to voice mail.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's the deal. Your Gear S has three option for Mobile Data.

Auto (default)
Always on
Always off

Auto turns off the mobile data and will turn on when not connected to device. In this mode when you are connected to the device it turns off the mobile data and all calls made to the Gear number will be forwarded to voice mail. You will not receive any text until the mobile data is activated when you are disconnected from your device.

Always on you will receive calls and text from both your Gear S and device number even if connected to the device. This will consume more battery as the radios are always on.

Always off speaks for itself.

Page 75 of the manual

Customise settings to control networks. On the Settings screen, tap Connections → Mobile networks.

•Use mobile networks:

-Auto on/off: Set the Gear to automatically connect to or disconnect from the mobile network depending on the Gear’s connection to the mobile device via Bluetooth.

•When the Gear is connected to the mobile device via Bluetooth, the Gear’s mobile network is turned off to save battery power. Then, you cannot receive messages and calls made to the Gear’s phone number.

•The Gear’s mobile network is automatically turned on after a moment when no Bluetooth connection is detected. Then, you can receive messages and calls made to the Gear’s phone number.

–Always on: Set the Gear to connect to the mobile network. With this option enabled, you can receive incoming calls and messages to the Gear and mobile devices’ phone numbers. This option increases battery consumption.

–Always off: Set the Gear not to connect to the mobile network. When this option is enabled, you cannot receive incoming calls and messages to the Gear’s phone number. If the Gear is connected to the mobile device via Bluetooth, you can receive incoming calls or notifications from the mobile device.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry, still confused. Just to clarify, we can only REPLY to text with our phone number, but to send NEW text, it seems to come from our Gear number, correct?

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry, still confused. Just to clarify, we can only REPLY to text with our phone number, but to send NEW text, it seems to come from our Gear number, correct?

Phone connected to Gear via Bluetooth
All calls and text will reflect your phone's number incoming and out.

Phone connect to Gear via Remote Connect
All incoming and outgoing text will reflect your phone's number
Any outgoing calls will reflect your Gear number
You will not receive any incoming calls from you phone unless you have call forwarding on.

Standalone
All incoming and out going calls and text will reflect Gear number.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Phone connect to Gear via Remote Connect
All incoming and outgoing text will reflect your phone's number
Any outgoing calls will reflect your Gear number.

For some reason, my NEW outgoing texts reflect my Gear's number such as when I use SVoice. But when I REPLY to an existing thread of text messages, it reflects my phone's number.

Is there a way to reflect my Gear's number on outgoing NEW texts when on remote connection?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech