Finally figured this thing out re: connectivity/battery life

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok,

After reading the forms and after asking questions here (and experimenting) I finally figured this gear s out! Forgive me if you all knew this...but to me it was a process to figure out. For all my talk below...assume BT on and WIFI off.

I am on verizon: not sure if same on other carriers...but my mobile settings are

gear network ON/OFF/Auto (this is confusing...should be called GEAR PHONE RADIO
if OFF- disables mobile network (see below) and cannot recieve text on GEAR number OR Calls on Gear number
IF AUTO- on BT:can only use phones number for text/calls...but off BT can use gears phone number for calls/text
if ON- can always use gear phone for text/sms EVEN if on BT...(can use both at all times).....but see below...lose 10% battery per hour

Mobile network: check box for on or off ....should be called (mobile network)- it is what either connects you remotely if not withing bt range OR uses mobile network to stream/download if away from phone. when ON you can get text/alerts from phone even if phone left home (and on)

SO:

Today- had BT on paired to phone and had gear network auto (which means its OFF since was on BT)- 7 hours 20% battery with lot of use!!!!!!!!!!!

Today- had BT on paried to phone and had GEAR network ON (always was on BT)- lost 20% in 2 hours with light use

I recommend: keep gear network on auto (and mobile network checked).....if you step away from phone and dont need alerts...change gear net off. If you are ever somewhere where you MUST be reachable (2 methods): leave gear network ON always......but you will max get 9-10 hours on your fully charged gear.

hope this helps....sorry if was obvious to you all

Last edited:

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the OS is more complex than it seems. Starting to understand why 2GB is used. I hope they trim down but keep it feature rich

Posted via the Android Central App

denilsonsantos

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I had similar experience today. I need both numbers online, gear and note 4. I kept network on and Bluetooth conection with mobile. It gave me only 7 hrs battery. So recharged gear and change to remotely connection. After 5hrs 65% battery remains. So I think Bluetooth requires much more power.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I would expect bt to use less than remote.

I had similar experience today. I need both numbers online, gear and note 4. I kept network on and Bluetooth conection with mobile. It gave me only 7 hrs battery. So recharged gear and change to remotely connection. After 5hrs 65% battery remains. So I think Bluetooth requires much more power.

denilsonsantos

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Guys. Today I turned Bluetooth off and maintain both conected remotely. After 6 hours I still have 68% battery. So, in my gear S Bluetooth demands much more power.

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you have gear network on and bt? If so then yes you will have bad battery. Try gear network off (or auto) and bt on.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys...seriously. ...im going off mobile data ONLY. With my bluetooth radio turned off completely and just using it via remote connected to my Note. And my battery does NOT drain 10% per hour.

As a matter of fact in the past hour ive been checking it a few times and ive only lost 2% in a whole entire hour.

Like the above poster said. With bluetooth radio turned off its amazing battery life

Posted via the Android Central App

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Just going off the posts it looks like the real battery drain is when you are trying to run both BT and Cellular. My rather uneducated guess is that it is swapping back and forth, or polling between them. This might be the case if say the phone is in another room near by and just at the edge of BT range.

Just a theory, but it might explain the all BT or all cellular camps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol