Android Central review of the Gear S

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see bias. I see someone expecting the S to work as seamlessly as AndroidWear. I know because I was the same way. I say was, because in attempting to save a restocking fee, I'm trying hard to like the S and one thing I've realized, is that I need to think about the S more as a standalone phone than a companion screen. It makes the S easier to understand.

I don't think the S does too much. As a matter of fact I feel it doesn't do enough. I love everything it does but it needs to reflect the same notification status as the phone. 2 way sync is missing and is the last piece of the puzzle to make this watch the best in class.

Posted via the Android Central App

If you can't see it it's obvious your and Android Wear lover. I don't mean that in any rude way either. But as most has said, they don't disagree with improvements that are need all of which can and mostly will be fixed in software update. But for people who scroll reviews, you see the caption prints like

Trying to run phone-like software on your watch is a bad idea. Full stop.

It takes time to wrap your head around everything happening on this watch.

The Gear S may be powerful, but the Gear Manager is still a necessary crutch.

There's a downside to doing this much on the watch — performance suffers.

Come on you can't be blind to the bias on this review.

And let's put this into perspective. Android has been out and announced since what June? It's had time to build refine, and mature. Gear S has been out barely a month. And even still the Gear S does more than Wear is capable of. I don't disagree with notification sync, is it a big deal? Not it's fixable. Google Fit sucks in comparison to S Health.

Why not speak about the cradle charger, swipe, or Gear QWERTY options? Why not Opera for alternative mobile apps? Not Here. Conmecting Bluetooth headphones for if yoi think the speaker is not loud enough. Come on. This was a poorly written review that didn't touch on alot of the real functions of the phone. Just all the negative. Virtually everything talked about was met with negative ending.

And I never respond to reviews. I'm no Fanboy and love all versions of anything. This is poor and not informative other than this is bad and that is bad and it does too much.

How can something do too much when Android Wear is heading the same route. First time I ever said a review is a joke on here.

Last edited:

priceslss

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned an android wear watch maybe that's why I cant relate to the S being so terrible.

I have owned Sony, Metawatch, Pebble and Gear 1 so to me this watch isn't only top of it's class... it is in a class of it's own.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have never owned an android wear watch maybe that's why I cant relate to the S being so terrible.

I have owned Sony, Metawatch, Pebble and Gear 1 so to me this watch isn't only top of it's class... it is in a class of it's own.

When I owned the TOQ even that was better than Android Wear on initial release. I like Wear mostly for its Google Now implementation, however one click to dismiss all notifications on the Gear S compared to having to dismiss each by swipe after swipe after swipe alone is beneficial.

To be honest. Google said Android Wear is the way a watch is suppose to be and I have yet to see it. Adding GPS and NFC made all early adoption outdated, wait till wifi, standalone, and data comes. Oh wait, sounds like...

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have never been so angered by a review in my life. Ridiculous. Did you guys read the "it does too much" comment?! And complaints about all the swiping and the inclusion of messaging functionality?

If I did not have one, and didn't know better, this review would make me think the Gear S is a piece of garbage.

Swiping...

Something the entire Android Wear is based on. You swipe to swipe to swipe to get something.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Lol… It’s not all bad by any means. He’s just stuck in the “I used to do it this way, why do I have to learn something new” mode of thinking in some regards. He hasn’t made the JUMP to the Gear S as the GO TO DEVICE yet. He’s still thinking the Smartphone in his packet is the go to device. The Gear S makes the Smartphone in your pocket the secondary device. Let’s start by pointing out these clearly positive quotes; many of which are the first sentences of a section paragraph:

“Going in the opposite direction of the “less is more” philosophy of Android Wear, Samsung is simply going with more on the Gear S. It has a huge 2-inch curved AMOLED display, piles of features and a bevy of health-related sensors on board. Samsung even went a step further, including standalone Wifi and 3G support so you can leave your phone at home and go watch-only when needed.” (I say: THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE OF THIS DEVICE.)

Calling this a “smartwatch” actually sells it short a bit — the Gear S is a full smartphone on your wrist.” (I say: YOU GOT THAT RIGHT; SOMETHING NONE OF THE MAJOR PLAYERS EVEN OFFER CURRENTLY.)

“The big standout feature of the Gear S is its massive 2-inch rectangular display…” (I say: THE FANTASTIC SCREEN AND THE STANDALONE ABILITY ARE PRETTY MUCH A TIE FOR THE STANDOUT FEATURE; NEITHER OF WHICH CAN BE HAD ELSEWHERE CURRENTLY.)

“In addition to the standard accelerometer, compass and gyroscope you'll find on most smartwatches today, the Gear S goes over the top by adding a heart rate sensor, UV sensor, GPS and even a barometer. Those last two come in handy when you're away from your phone and need location information, while the other sensors help boost the S Health functionality of the Gear S.” (I say: YUP! ALL POSITIVE OVER-THE-TOP FEATURES.)

“It's clear that Tizen — Samsung's in-house, customized operating system — is the way of the future for its wearables.” (I say: NOTE TO AUTHOR – MAKE THE MENTAL JUMP TO TIZEN NOW AND DON’T LOOK BACK – EVEN YOU STATE IT IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE.)

“Even though it isn’t running Android, Samsung has the Gear S working flawlessly with its Android devices thanks to the Gear Manager app.” (I say: BRAVO!)

“The Gear S is an incredibly interesting device that really pushes the boundaries of what can be done with a smartwatch today. It’s quite a feat to see something in a watch-like form factor with a 2-inch display be capable of doing all of the basic tasks of a smartphone, even if it does have some compromises in implementation.” (I say: SPOT ON.)

“In many ways I appreciate what Samsung is trying with the Gear S, and I know there are more than a few people out there who will see the appeal of having so much power in a tiny device on your wrist that — at least for short periods of time — doesn't need a smartphone nearby.” (I say: AGAIN, SPOT ON. I USE IT AS MY ONLY PHONE.)

With that said, the author seems to follow those clearly positive statements with somewhat negative ones or “his” version of possible improvements. I won’t go into all of those with my personal 2-cent comments, but I will say IMO he hasn’t used it long enough to make the mental JUMP to the wrist being your GO TO location, not the giant Smartphone in your pocket (if you even have one in your pocket at all). The complaint about notifications is a good example of going to the wrong place to get them. If the WRIST is where he gets the notification, then just delete them there. Even if notifications are not fully synced (yet), how hard is it to: swipe right>drag down>click Clear all?

In addition, the author seems to dwell on the negatives a bit more by choosing some of those as his highlighted comments. I’m not sure why. Even in his summary, he downplays the TWO MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE GEAR S; its’ unique first-in-class ability to standalone and the super fantastic 2” curved screen by stating, “…there are far better — and cheaper — options to consider.” as his final conclusion for those wanting to drag their Smartphone around with them too. Oh really? What other Dumbwatch has that screen? No one!

IMHO Samsung has made one of the most important JUMPS in the cell phone industry by introducing the STANDALONE Gear S with a SIM card. I don’t care what the paid reviewers say. I no longer have to carry a giant behemoth in my pocket and repeatedly pull it in and out throughout the day.

Samsung you not only hit a homerun, it’s a GRANDSLAM! Two thumbs and both big toes up!!!

Jim Buono

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I didn't see bias. I see someone expecting the S to work as seamlessly as AndroidWear. I know because I was the same way. I say was, because in attempting to save a restocking fee, I'm trying hard to like the S and one thing I've realized, is that I need to think about the S more as a standalone phone than a companion screen. It makes the S easier to understand.

I don't think the S does too much. As a matter of fact I feel it doesn't do enough. I love everything it does but it needs to reflect the same notification status as the phone. 2 way sync is missing and is the last piece of the puzzle to make this watch the best in class.

OK, if the Gear S isn't the "best in class", what is?

See, yours is the kind of comment that annoys. As if there's a best in class out there we should all be buying instead of the Gear S.

The fact that the Gear S is the ONLY watch with a stand alone phone make it the best in a class of 1. Don't consider the phone and I still don't see the 360 or the R or the Pebble being better.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, if the Gear S isn't the "best in class", what is?

See, yours is the kind of comment that annoys. As if there's a best in class out there we should all be buying instead of the Gear S.

The fact that the Gear S is the ONLY watch with a stand alone phone make it the best in a class of 1. Don't consider the phone and I still don't see the 360 or the R or the Pebble being better.

There is no clear best in my opinion. The 360 can't be a standalone phone and the S doesn't communicate with the phone it's paired to as well as the 360. If either of them could do what the other is missing, that one would be best in class.

If you're someone who has no problem having the phone with you all the time the 360 is clearly better.

If you want to leave the phone behind the S is clearly better.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
One thing I'm afraid of is Samsung leaving the S behind and not supporting it until maturity.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
There is no clear best in my opinion. The 360 can't be a standalone phone and the S doesn't communicate with the phone it's paired to as well as the 360. If either of them could do what the other is missing, that one would be best in class.

If you're someone who has no problem having the phone with you all the time the 360 is clearly better.

Aside from this one issue with deleting notifications on the watch which have been deleted on the phone, it appears the MOTO 360 lacks functionality in other areas as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can the 360 make and receive calls? Even the original Galaxy Gear could do that as a bluetooth only connected device.

I'm not familiar with Android Wear, but it seems the draw toward that platform are those who are equally drawn to the stock Android experience?

I believe, and this is just my opinion, that Samsung envisions the smartphone being the secondary device and the smartwatch being primary. If that's the case then 90% of all notifications would first be viewed and handled on the watch. Therefore, any action taken on the watch is synced with the phone. Thus no real need to have the same functionality in reverse.

However, operating from a view that the smartphone is primary, with 90% of all actions first taking place on the phone, and the watch is secondary, then I can see the need a user would have to want any action taken on the phone to be synced with the watch.

But understanding Samsung's vision here, and making the Gear S the primary device by giving it standalone capabilities sets it apart, and requires a shift in the way we tech heads interact with the new technology. If we are not willing, or prefer the old way, then I'd say stick with Android Wear. However, if we are willing to adopt a new way of doing things, and can embrace the smartwatch as the "go to" device, then products like the Gear S will be preferred.

In the end no one is wrong. It boils down to personal preference. I think Andrew made the mistake of focusing too much on Android Wear and not reviewing the Gear S based on its own merit.

It's like buying a Hummer, and then giving it a bad rating because it doesn't corner like that of a Porsche.

I think Samsung is betting that consumers will adopt a new way of interacting with technology and trying to move away from the "this is the way it's all ways been done" approach.

They were successful when people told them no wantes a stylus back in 2011 with the original Note. Back then they were even accused of taking technology backwards to the days of the Palm Pilot. However, they proved with the s-pen that people were willing to embrace this new direction.

Here in 2014 they have dared to introduce a new way of using a smartphone by producing the Note Edge. A radically new concept that requires a mental shift in how the user interacts with their phone.

The Gear S I believe is in that same class. I would advise Andrew and anyone else reviewing or considering this product to throw out all preconceived notions, and think about a new shift in how things are done.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

The problem with syncing though can easily be fixed. That's not really an issue. Software is better problem than hardware. Viewing notifications is better. Be able to to have a screen and see what notification is much easier than swiping through.

I agree with you that each have their cons, but which is easier to be fixed.

But I have to agree that the 360 is clearly better. It's not. And that's no biased answer. You said it yourself there's nothing the 360 can do that the S can other than the standalone feature.

Here's where you're wrong

Gear S

Multi keyboard option (no third party needed)
UV sensors and barometer
Multi view for notification
Recent app screen with option to close
Widgets
Option to Dismiss all notifications
Opera Mini
Standalone GPS
Wireless
Gallery with option to transfer pics to phone
Change font for better reading (double tap when reading email texts etc)

That's just touching on several benefits.

The only and only benefits that Android has is Google Now and Devs jumping on board faster. That's it. Nothing else.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
@DAS, I can initiate and answer calls with my 360.

If I delete an email or dismiss a text message on my watch it still shows up on my phone as unread. Am I doing something wrong?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
@aitt, you say the problem with syncing can easily be fixed and that is not really an issue.

I'm not as confident about you on that. I hope you're right.

You also say software is better problem than hardware. I agree 100% That's one reason I really like the S.

You say viewing notifications is better and being able to to have a screen and see what notification is much easier than swiping. This is subjective and I disagree. The swiping to the right to dismiss and to the left to reply seems much more natural to me.

I agree with you that software is easier to fix and I hope they do fix it .

You mention the S having a multi keyboard option (no third party needed). I've tried them and I just could not get used to any of them. Voice dictation that works is better than typing on a 2 inch screen in my opinion.

As far as the UV sensors and barometer, I'm not sure if I'll ever use these.

You also mention multi view for notifications. Again, to me, the swiping away of the notifications just is a super simple UI that has become 2nd nature. I can do it without giving it a second thought. I haven't gotten to that point with my S yet.

As far as the recent app screen with option to close, I actually like that screen and feel it is a huge plus if you look at this device as a phone first.

Now widgets are actually a little more natural in AW to me because the widget shows up if you're using the app on your phone (Spotify as an example). If I'm not using the app, the widget disappears.

The option to dismiss all notifications would be great if they got dismissed on the phone too but alas, they don't. Additionally, I don't need this on my 360 because they don't pile up since they get handled immediately due to the ease to do that. In the rare time they accumulate, I agree it can be a chore to swipe them away individually....but again, if I dismiss them all on my phone, they're gone from my watch.

Opera Mini, really? I tried it and I can't find any reason to navigate a Web page on a 2 inch screen. I deleted it within a couple of hours.

Standalone GPS: Yes, this is awesome.......Battery hog though, but great if you're fully charged. Love it on my runs. Then again the 360 syncs seamlessly with the GPS on my Note without killing the battery.

Wireless........again, awesome.

Gallery with option to transfer pics is nice but I much rather see my pics on my Note 4 screen.

Change font for better reading (double tap when reading email texts etc).....Haven't done this, I'll look into it for my aging eyes. :)

Google Now and Devs jumping on board faster are major points and there's so much to say about a UI that's seamless.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I tell you what. On the notifications screen one finger touch and hold. It will show all options of the notification and show them. It's as simple as hitting the minus sign.

And you are wrong. When you dismiss all the first thing it tells you is that will dismiss all notification on the phone. I don't know how you miss that.

Screen-20141127174320(0).jpg

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
And yes Opera Mini is awesome for quick mobile view. Pinch to zoom is simple. I'm not talking about full Web view. That's just dumb. But I can mobile FB Twitter Gmail G+. That is nothing ridiculous about that.

Like I have went thru this thing thoroughly and the options simple make Gear S the better option. You're right those cards are subjective. But I love the fact that notification are it's own screen.

Lastly your opinion of if those options are beneficial or not is irrelevant. I'm simply pointing what the Gear S can do that Android is not capable of.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You guys should stop going back and forth.
The bottom line for everyone is to buy the product that works best for you.

I am an owner of both the Note 4 and Note Edge, and so as an owner of a Samsung phone the Gear S is for my needs the best option.

Trying to determine whether Android Wear watches are better than Tizen watches is fruitless.

In my opinion, this is what Andrew did wrong. He did not appear to review the Gear S based on its own merit, but instead allowed his preference for Android Wear to steer his opinion of the Gear S.

When a proper product review is performed it's important to know the target audience for the product and speak to the needs of that audience.

Samsung is clear that the Gear S is not for non-Samsung owners, but rather for those who own select Samsung phones and want the convenience and added value of standalone connectivity.

Knowing this cannot be viewed as a weakness because there is no attempt to mislead in that fact.

Andrew, unfortunately, has a dislike of large screen phones (based on his own comments). This dislike impacts his use of, and ability to be objective. Because the Gear S is primarily paired with a large screen phone like the Note 3, 4, or Edge I believe it's difficult for him to immerse himself into the product for a proper review because if the truth be told he is probably longing to get rid of the thing so he can go back to the size and OS of his preference.

That is why for me I don't let paid reviewers, who have not spent their own money influence my buying decisions. I'd much rather listen to, or read the comments of true "end users" because they are likely to be brutality honest and say what they like and don't like.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Just one more point and then I'm done.

Andrew, and everyone asociated with Android Central, have a vested interested to push Android Wear.

They don't work for, or are they paid by, the folks at Tizen. When you consider the obvious conflict of interest it's not hard to understand the inability to approach the product with full objectivity.

When you and I watch a commercial on tv and we see a caption like "this is a paid actor being compensated for this endorsement" we don't expect objectivity.

The folks at Android Central are nice people, but there job is to promote Android. I say there is nothing wrong at all with this.
I understand that reality everytime I click to open the site.

Last edited:

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem with jlczl I think he's a great guy doing a lot better about his opinion than that Android Review. I'm just point out thing in a neutral debate. There's thugs he hasn't found out yet that I'm pointing out. He's doing a 12 day review and I definitely can respect that because he's going through the trenches finding things he like and don't like. I have full respect for that. We differ on opinions but I like the back and forth
It leaves people who are still wondering to see the real pros and cons of both OS.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem with jlczl I think he's a great guy doing a lot better about his opinion than that Android Review. I'm just point out thing in a neutral debate. There's thugs he hasn't found out yet that I'm pointing out. He's doing a 12 day review and I definitely can respect that because he's going through the trenches finding things he like and don't like. I have full respect for that. We differ on opinions but I like the back and forth
It leaves people who are still wondering to see the real pros and cons of both OS.

I can understand that. It makes perfect sense.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Yup, and I really appreciate aitt pointing out what he likes, uses and finds beneficial because it helps me arrive at a thoroughly educated conclusion. Plus, I think others will benefit when they decide which smart watch fits their needs best.

@aitt, I still have to check out some of the things you just pointed out in your previous post. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci