Android Central review of the Gear S

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Is on the front page. This made any other review I read almost pale in comparison.

Posted via the Android Central App

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
When I read the article from CNET I agreed with pretty the entire article. If there ever an article bashing the Gear S this is it.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I promise if it had Android Wear doing the exact same thing this would be praised.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I promise if it had Android Wear doing the exact same thing this would be praised.

Not necessarily. Most of the complaints the reviewer has concern the OS experience. Android Wear would be a different experience, so if they've already like that, yes, the review would then be favorable. BUT another complain is the sluggishness of the device, and even if that happened with Android Wear that would be a complaint as well. That was bashed as well with the Moto360 before the update came out, and it has been bashed on nearly every Samsung device that comes out with TouchWiz.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems with the issues that the Gear S has. I just see alot of nit picking and not touching on the real function. Every function was greeted with bashing except the battery. And even then didn't even touch base with the battery cradle.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Some of the points were valid. The interesting part, was that he was annoyed with lag. Doesn't everything lag to a certain degree? I heard from a review that the Nexus 6 lags as well. Then again, does lag really matter? I was skeptical at first with the Gear S but, now that I have used it for 2 days, not sure I could go back to my Moto 360. Not that I am an attention ***** but, its interesting when you are sitting at a table waiting for your food and you start playing with your device and notice that people are looking over at you.

Flossy Carter on Youtube does a very detailed review on the Gear S after using it for a week. Its a long video but, he loves the device and I happen to agree with him. Its a major win. Just hope that it takes off. I noticed from my experience with the other GG watches, when they start to lose steam from Samsung, the updates and new apps start to slow

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the smartwatchs are moving really fast as everyone is trying to adopt what should be the perfect smart watch. So I can see Samsung doing that. Sony has done the same too and updates are a crawl. I can only imagine the resources it takes to get these out and mass popularity. I think Samsung is on the right track and I don't think they are wrong using Tizen. I do however think they need to expand this to open to other phones.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have never been so angered by a review in my life. Ridiculous. Did you guys read the "it does too much" comment?! And complaints about all the swiping and the inclusion of messaging functionality?

If I did not have one, and didn't know better, this review would make me think the Gear S is a piece of garbage.

priceslss

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I have to agree of all the reviews I've read and seen on YouTube this one makes me question if I have the same watch being reviewed. The watch I won't leave the house without now and the first smart watch I've ever worn daily.

I guess I want my device to do too much... If not I'd have an iPhone and be waiting on an apple watch.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My thing is how does this do too much when people complained Android doesn't do enough. To each their own. Like I said in my comments for the adticle, never thought I read an article from CNET that was more unbiased than "this". I never respond to review cause it's all subjective but this review really rub me incorrectly

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have never understood how the Gear S "doing too much" is a negative?

If you look back at the reviews, comments, and complaints about the original Galaxy Gear many focused on it "didn't do enough."

Many reviewers complained because the watch required the user to always be connected to the smartphone which they said was dumb because it was just as easy to view notifications on the phone itself.

Back then, less than a year ago, they claimed if it had standalone ability it would be ideal. Samsung listened to and read many of those early comments and went back to the drawing board and produced a watch that does about everything these early naysayers were balking about.

Now what do hear? We hear the watch "does too much."

The bottom line is that the Gear S is the most robust and full featured smartwatch on the market, and clearly surpasses the limited functionality of the watches offered by Sony, LG, Motorola and Pebble.

Whereas these OEM's are given a pass for what could be described as lack luster features, Samsung is held to a much a higher standard.

I'm not married to Samsung so it doesn't matter to me, but the negative bias in their reviews of any Samsung product shines through despite attempts to conceal it.

Bottom line is that if you own a Samsung phone, and you want a real smartwatch, the only true recommendation should be to pick up the Gear S. Anything else pales in comparison.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was on Windows Phone with a Lumia 1520 and was about to get an iPhone 6 Plus because I wanted a smart watch and the Apple Watch looked to be the best coming out......then I saw the Gear S and knew that it had the most features and suited more (if not all) of my needs than any other smartwatch so my decision was easy and I came back to Android. The Gear S is what other smart watches SHOULD be aspiring to.

sent from my Galaxy s5

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
It's obvious the reviewer went into the device not wanting to like it, and has fan boy syndrome. I don't care what he thinks. The Gear S is just right for me. Would better notification syncing be nice, sure but it really doesn't take much to just clear the watch. No device is perfect, but this watch does so much right for me that I can appreciate the watch for what it is. Unlike this reviewer.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the thing that bothered be off bat is all the negativity captions. Every single one of the bold outline was negative. Whatever reviews are subjective and people have their opinions. But I always believed that bias should be minimal. To each their own. I'm glad people in the comment corrected him cause there was SO much that not talked about.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see bias. I see someone expecting the S to work as seamlessly as AndroidWear. I know because I was the same way. I say was, because in attempting to save a restocking fee, I'm trying hard to like the S and one thing I've realized, is that I need to think about the S more as a standalone phone than a companion screen. It makes the S easier to understand.

I don't think the S does too much. As a matter of fact I feel it doesn't do enough. I love everything it does but it needs to reflect the same notification status as the phone. 2 way sync is missing and is the last piece of the puzzle to make this watch the best in class.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand all the love Android Wear gets. I have the LG G Watch, the original Pebble, the Samsung Gear 2 Neo, and I previously had the Gear 2.

I find the Gear 2 to be superior to them all. If I had not gotten the Droid Turbo I probably would have sold the LG G Watch.

Literally the only negative of Samsung Smart watches is that they are required to have a Samsung phone.