Can't go Standalone because i'm sprint :(

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I hate Samsung... I think this thing will sell even more like gangbusters if they just let it be Standalone with no other phone.

My problem is I can do the manual trick to get it to be Standalone.. However I don't have any contacts. There's no way to get contacts on it either unless I had a Sim. Which I can't do because I have the sprint model.

I mean I would have to just type in and remember phone numbers. Which I can't deal with on busy days.

Anyone else feel the same?

I love this thing don't get me wrong . I would love it more if I could just go pure Standalone.

Posted via the Android Central App

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I hate Samsung... I think this thing will sell even more like gangbusters if they just let it be Standalone with no other phone.

My problem is I can do the manual trick to get it to be Standalone.. However I don't have any contacts. There's no way to get contacts on it either unless I had a Sim. Which I can't do because I have the sprint model.

I mean I would have to just type in and remember phone numbers. Which I can't deal with on busy days.

Anyone else feel the same?

I love this thing don't get me wrong . I would love it more if I could just go pure Standalone.

I have a Sprint Gear S and I have have access to my contacts when I'm connected as a stand alone device?

I cannot explain what may be the hiccup with your device?

Before going into standalone mode I forward the calls from the phone to the Gear.

Posted via Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think op meant he is using his watch truly standalone, never paired with a Samsung phone. In this case, you can't get any contacts.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I think op meant he is using his watch truly standalone, never paired with a Samsung phone. In this case, you can't get any contacts.

Yeah, I think he wants to use it as his ONLY phone like I do on AT&T. Theoretically any carrier should be able to activate it on their network without another phone or another expensive plan. AT&T will do it with their $30/mo. unlimited talk/unlimited text and 300MB data plan (that's what I use). The bill has the plan at $20 and the Gear S at $10 per month.

You CAN add contacts to the phone by putting them on your SIM card with AT&T and T-Mobile, but when I initially talked to T-Mobile, they wouldn't let me activate it as my only phone. They told me I MUST have a $50/mo. plan on another phone AND pay another $5/mo. for the Gear S, plus pay $350 for the Gear S (crazy!).

I guess Sprint doesn't use SIM cards just like Verizon...

OP - Return it if you can and go to AT&T! ;-)

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What active said.

Yes you get access to the built in contacts app... But there's no way to add a contact. Honestly if they just even gave us a button to "Add a new contact." from the device itself I would deal with that and just rebuild my contacts library .

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought a cheap Galaxy Tab 4 so that way I don't have to keep my Samsung phone :) I'll just keep the tab 4 at home on Wifi with Bluetooth on all the time and walk up to it and sync every now and then to get new contacts from Google.. etc etc. and install new apps if I want to.

I imagine this was samsungs goal.. for there to be 2 devices purchased.. it's a damn shame. You know if apple did something like this people would go nuts about it and make fun of them for it.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I bought a cheap Galaxy Tab 4 so that way I don't have to keep my Samsung phone :) I'll just keep the tab 4 at home on Wifi with Bluetooth on all the time and walk up to it and sync every now and then to get new contacts from Google.. etc etc. and install new apps if I want to.

That sounds like a good plan. I've been wondering if you can update and sync to an non-phone number Android V4.3+ WiFi device through your home modem. Let us know how that goes.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like a good plan. I've been wondering if you can update and sync to an non-phone number Android V4.3+ WiFi device through your home modem. Let us know how that goes.
Yeah you can set it up through Gear manager just fine, there is no "Number forwarding" though obviously since it's just a tablet.

But you can install new apps.. and etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech