Limitations of Gear S (noob)

anon(9225934)

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I purchased my first wearable last night. I have run into a problem though. My current ATT plan is grandfathered unlimited data. I found out today that in order to receive text notifications (or any notification other than calls) I need to change my current plan.

Obviously, there is no way I'm doing that. However I am trying to find the limitations of the device. I would prefer not to run bluetooth all day as it drains battery pretty bad. I am also considering canceling the added phone line ($10 extra a month - bought watch off contract)

If I connect via WiFi (same network) would I still be able to receive text and call notifications when NOT connected via Bluetooth. If not, is there an app out there similar to "Push Bullet" that will allow for pushing of notifications across devices - that will work on the Gear S?

Finally, when I am driving I like to connect my phone to my car radio. Since dual band isn't in phones could someone suggest a good work around that will be able to connect my phone via Bluetooth to the car radio AND the gear S at the same time? (maybe a hub of some sort?)

I know that's a lot of questions but I feel I may not be the only person in this situation.

Thanks all!

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you always bring your phone with you, using Bluetooth is the best option: it actually saves battery when cell radio is disabled (automatically) and no need to sign up with any plan at all.

Yes, wifi will get your watch connected but in order to receive phone calls, you need a plan. With BT connection, you don't.

If you already getting the $10 plan, that's pretty lucky. You should just stick with that.

anon(9225934)

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I do feel "lucky" in a way but that is only for cell reception and not for data. Which should've been stated by the ATT rep but thats here not there haha. Thank you for your response. So if I understand you correctly... If I disconnect my phone line and end my mobile network I will be unable to receieve and answer calls on the watch? (Even though I would still be connected via bluetooth or wifi)

The way it seems to me is that if I do keep connecting via bluetooth it should'nt matter if I have a mobile connection or not because it will act as its a bluetooth headset (but with a screen). Thus the $10 is spent on a new number I'd never use..

If I am completely wrong please let me know because I'll be the first to admit I do not know much about how these devices are actually transferring the data back and forth.

Thanks again!

EDIT: If wifi and mobile networking are turned off on the watch can it piggyback network connectivity via the bluetooth connection to the phone?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
you read it wrong. If you connect via BT, all functions of the watch work with no plan needed (cell radio on the phone is disabled) no need for wifi in this case. If you use wifi instead (BT will be disabled in order to use wifi), you will not getting calls as you will have to connect remotely to your phone. Phone calls need to get forwarded to your watch number in order for this to work in remote connection mode.

You don't need wifi or cell data when BT is connected. That's it. But effectively you are using Gear S as other wearables where it is forever tethered to a phone. When you have a separate plan with data, you can in fact leave your phone home and bring only the watch with you.

Now when you have BT connected, using it with another BT audio device like your car will be problematic. I believe it will only work with certain Samsung headset, e.g. Gear Circle. The phone have to forward calls to your watch via BT connection. So it is very likely you won't be able to receive calls from your car BT audio from either device..

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T and I too am grandfathered in for unlimited data. I bought mine outright but they wouldn't let me add a line for $10 with just talk, they said it had to have data as well and of course you needed the mobile share plan. So I use mine bluetooth connected. I get a couple days before I have to charge with modest settings of course. Also, I'm waiting on an unlock code so I can use T-mobile's wearable plan they have for the Gear S, it's $15 a month.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T and I too am grandfathered in for unlimited data. I bought mine outright but they wouldn't let me add a line for $10 with just talk, they said it had to have data as well and of course you needed the mobile share plan. So I use mine bluetooth connected. I get a couple days before I have to charge with modest settings of course. Also, I'm waiting on an unlock code so I can use T-mobile's wearable plan they have for the Gear S, it's $15 a month.

Will AT&T give you an unlocked code? Is that how you'll unlock it?
I might just go ahead and buy the T-mo Gear S and deal with AT&T at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz