Way to get notifications when disconnected from phone?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope this isn't impossible but so far I haven't found a way to make it happen. Is there a way to get notifications on the Gear S when it's not connected to my phone?

Thanks,
Deb

jchybinski

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
When Bluetooth is off or I'm away and the phone is still on my Gear S will connect remotely (via your Samsung account) and all my alerts forward fine. The calls also forward to my watch. I'm using a Galaxy S5 Active...

Posted via the Android Central App

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine doesn't do this. I've stopped counting the number of tests I've run. Weather doesn't work either. I think I may have a bum phone.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Does your phone say the watch is remotely connected when you don't have them connected via Bluetooth?

Turn off BT on your phone to simulate the watch and phone being separated from each other.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like mobile data on your watch is not working. Talk to your carrier to see what is wrong.

When your watch is out of range of BT, it should automatically enable mobile data connection (unless you disabled it) and connect remotely to your phone. Almost everything will work just like you connected via BT. Of course your phone must also be connected to the internet.

There are many reports, however, that current firmware has a bug that if you leave the wifi on watch to ON, it won't establish remote connection. You need to leave wifi off on the watch.

Alex Ponce1

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I also had trouble connecting with remote connection. I found that the wifi on the phone had to be off for it to connect. If the phone is connected to wifi, for some reason, the watch won't be able to connect to the phone since it's trying to connect via wifi instead.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
WiFi is off on the phone. I'm taking the watch back to VZW on Thursday. If they won't give me a new one and test it before I leave they can keep it.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Turn the wifi off on the watch (regardless if it is connected to any wifi network), not phone. This should help resolve the remote connection issue.

Test the mobile data on the watch by using the Opera browser to see if mobile data is working (mobile data will only be on when it is not BT connected). If mobile data is working, your problem is not carrier related.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You want to check if your mobile data is working or not. You need to disconnect it from Bluetooth first. Without mobile data, your watch is useless when it moves away from the phone.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem may be as stated earlier that I'm not connected to the network. I just disconnected the watch from my phone bluetooth. I then tried to make a call on the watch which is supposed to work as a stand alone when not connected by bluetooth. Instead of the call going thru I got a voice recording to please wait for some operator.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
make sure you installed the gear app version, not phone version, using Gear Manager.
I believe that's what's installed. The clerk at the store did it and it did an automatic upgrade to the newest version for the gear. How would I know the difference?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter as long as you have Opera browser on the watch and you can use it to test if your mobile data connection works or not. Similarly, you can try voice calls as well as SMS from the watch while it is disconnected from the phone. It seems that your watch didn't get properly activated on its own line or something.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I installed Opera Mini on my phone but it does not show up in my apps on the watch. I'll be taking it to Verizon tomorrow. Thank you everyone for all your help.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Spent about an hour and a half at VZW last Thursday. They even swapped out the watch and I had the same problems I did with the first watch. Told them I'd take everything home and do a reset on my phone and see if that helped. Since both watches had the same issues we had determined it was probably my phone.

Did the reset and got things working on the watch and I was tickled pink! Then I proceeded to add all my other previous apps/data back in and somewhere along the way the watch stopped receiving my to-do notifications. I have weather and it receives text notifications but nothing from two different to-do apps.

I've now done probably 6-8 resets on both devices and even when I don't install anything else but the watch and gear manager I still have the same problem excluding the weather thing, that's working. I do have the to-do apps check-marked in the gear's app list to receive the notifications to my watch but it doesn't happen.

Any ideas? Oh ... I get no to-do notifications whether my watch is blue-toothed to my phone or not.

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
When Bluetooth is off or I'm away and the phone is still on my Gear S will connect remotely (via your Samsung account) and all my alerts forward fine. The calls also forward to my watch. I'm using a Galaxy S5 Active...

Jcybinski what To-do task/reminders app are you using?

First none work, then some work, now back to none work. I need an app that works reliably when my phone is not connected to my Gear S but even when it is I still don't get them.

Have learned this is an issue suffered by others as well, wish Samsung would fix!

Deb from my Note 3

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Jcybinski what To-do task/reminders app are you using?

First none work, then some work, now back to none work. I need an app that works reliably when my phone is not connected to my Gear S but even when it is I still don't get them.

Have learned this is an issue suffered by others as well, wish Samsung would fix!

Deb from my Note 3

Deb,

Just curious, what are your thoughts on the Gear S since you have had it fir a while? Did you get the bugs worked out? With all the problems I have seen in this forum and XDA forums I am still hesitant to purchase it. Thanks

Rusty

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Just remember that any device you look at on a forum will be full of complaints. People come to forums like this for 3 reasons:

1) They are really excited by there new device
2) They are curious about buying one
3) They have a problem.

1 gets used to the device and fades off. 2 buys the device or doesn't away after a while. But Problems will always arise, so the majority of posts tend to be negative, or at least asking for help on problems, in the long run.

My wife and I have had our Gear S watches since they came out in the US. We both wear them everyday and find them very useful. Surprisingly so.

My wife is a big fan of the fact she does not have to take her phone with her to be able to make calls / text. Although we tend to use Bluetooth most of the time, the remote connected has come in handy many times.

Good luck either way.