Gear S charging cradle

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you serious? That part on the watch cracks also? So now I have to watch out for that too? I bought 2 extra chargers off of ebay just to be prepared in case the original broke. Well after 1 month of use one of the extra chargers broke. I have started using the 2nd backup charger but so far thankfully the original is hanging in there. I love this watch but this is ridiculous.

Just to update you on this one. I too bought extra cradles to serve as a backup. I was on my way to Las Vegas one day, and the cradle broke so, I asked for a rubber band when I got to the hotel to charge it.

Then last Friday, the lip on the watch broke. I took it back to Verizon and they told me that since I did not get the extended warranty on the watch, I was basically SOL but, here is the number for Samsung and they will do it. I called Samsung and spoke to the rep and they said they would cover it as long as there was no water damage to it. So, off it went.

Yesterday, I got an email from Samsung telling me that they changed their mind and will not cover it under warranty and now I owe $300. I was livid and got on the phone with them last night and spoke to a supervisor. Supervisor was completely useless and told me that I needed to call them back the next day when the service department was back in the office.

Today, i called and they refused to fix it under warranty. I cited the constant need to replace the cradle and also cited the fact that their cradle is what caused the lip on my watch to break. They gave me 2 options. The first was that I could think about it for 10 days and the second was to have the device returned back to me. After carrying it up the management chain, I realized that I was at the end of their chain. I told them that at this point, I do not see a point in repairing a device that keeps breaking on me close to once per month. They went on to tell me that part of the reason why they are not choosing to cover it, was because I did not buy a Samsung cradle. I told them that this was absurd, the cradle that I was using had a Samsung label on it and I bought it from Amazon and the shipper was Samsung. They told me that I needed to buy OEM and directly from Samsung and because I did not choose to buy directly from them, it was a 3rd party cradle.

At any rate, after spending 3 hours with them on the phone this morning, I figured that I now wasted 3 hours of my life today that I will never get back so, they are returning it back to me. I was a big advocate of their products and have a Samsung tv, etc... but, not anymore.

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
..... They went on to tell me that part of the reason why they are not choosing to cover it, was because I did not buy a Samsung cradle. I told them that this was absurd, the cradle that I was using had a Samsung label on it and I bought it from Amazon and the shipper was Samsung. They told me that I needed to buy OEM and directly from Samsung and because I did not choose to buy directly from them, it was a 3rd party cradle.......
It's in anticipation of that kind of response from Samsung that causes me to buy my extra chargers straight from Samsung USA. The extra $10 is cheap insurance against their "not our fault" excuses, and I think it's already saved me once. When the screen on my Note 1 started acting up, I called to see about a warranty repair. Almost the first question asked was if I was using a third party charger. As soon as I replied that it started while in the Samsung car dock and that both my home and car chargers had been directly purchased from Samsung, that line of questioning stopped. The next attempt to weasel out of warranty coverage was to mention that water damage would not be covered. So I mentioned that I had already checked the white moisture telltale strips on both the phone internals and the battery and both were still clear white, oh and by the way I can send you the photos documenting that fact that I just took before making the warranty claim call. After that there were no more attempts to shift blame and I got my repair done under warranty and my phone back to me in less than a week.

I always assume that all companies will do their best to weasel out of any warranty. A few times I have been pleasantly surprised by companies that make the process painless (Anker comes to mind). But I do my best to anticipate their techniques and cut off their avenues of escape where I can. Even so, I start the process prepared to be disappointed.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
It's in anticipation of that kind of response from Samsung that causes me to buy my extra chargers straight from Samsung USA. The extra $10 is cheap insurance against their "not our fault" excuses, and I think it's already saved me once. When the screen on my Note 1 started acting up, I called to see about a warranty repair. Almost the first question asked was if I was using a third party charger. As soon as I replied that it started while in the Samsung car dock and that both my home and car chargers had been directly purchased from Samsung, that line of questioning stopped. The next attempt to weasel out of warranty coverage was to mention that water damage would not be covered. So I mentioned that I had already checked the white moisture telltale strips on both the phone internals and the battery and both were still clear white, oh and by the way I can send you the photos documenting that fact that I just took before making the warranty claim call. After that there were no more attempts to shift blame and I got my repair done under warranty and my phone back to me in less than a week.

I always assume that all companies will do their best to weasel out of any warranty. A few times I have been pleasantly surprised by companies that make the process painless (Anker comes to mind). But I do my best to anticipate their techniques and cut off their avenues of escape where I can. Even so, I start the process prepared to be disappointed.

Yeah I fell into that trap and then thought it was absurd that they would claim that the cradle purchased from Amazon and shipped from Samsung would not be Samsung. Normally, I do not fall into their trap of that but, I was tired and very irritated that I would have to pay. I even told them that it was nowhere in their warranty that I had to buy directly from them, Little did I know, they came back with a defense with that statement.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have 3 Samsung cradles I use all the time. Even have a nice carbon fiber cover on the back of the watch and have very little problem with the latching. A little fiddely but always has worked fine. Guess I should count my blessings...

yes, charging now!

kieso

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't blame you at all DonShock. I would do the same. They're basically wiping their hands clean of their big design SNAFU.

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
..... They're basically wiping their hands clean of their big design SNAFU.
Exactly, even when right at the start of the Warranty section on the Gear S product support page they state "...is warranted by SAMSUNG against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for a limited warranty period ...."
When you have the same exact failure happening to significant numbers of your devices, it is obviously a defect in materials or workmanship.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I am buying extra chargers (which I originally had no intention of doing) was because the original breaks so what does it matter which one I buy? So is Samsung saying that it is only the chargers bought from someone other than them that is breaking the back of the watch?

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
The only reason I am buying extra chargers (which I originally had no intention of doing) was because the original breaks so what does it matter which one I buy? So is Samsung saying that it is only the chargers bought from someone other than them that is breaking the back of the watch?
If it beaks and they ask for a charger send the oem one back with the watch. It's what I plan to do if it happens. I won't lie and say I've used it only but if they ask I'll answer a question with a question, something like "why would I use another?"

Therealm80

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Mine broke but why would I buy another charger. Get a roll of velcro cable ties. Wrap it around the watch and velcro it tight. Simple and cheap. Since you only need one from the roll you may use the rest for some tidying up of your other cables. :)

Barry Segal

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Crazy that consumers are more innovative than the manufactures. Samsung disappointing this time.
I complained about mine breaking and they told me that I have to send everything back - watch and all.
I did not buy it to have it away for weeks (and pay for cellular).
I simply wrap a rubber band around it. Or stuff a sponge, to keep the pressure, and close the strap (similar concept to the 3d printer).

KBlack2595

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
yep had my watch for a few months and then noticed it wouldn't stay on will be sending it in to get repaired today or tammrow

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Just had the second clip break! ARGHHH!!!!!! Broke down and ordered a simple charger dock only fro $20 from Amazon. Paid a few bucks more but it will be here Tuesday. Will suffice until the LG Urbane LTE is out and I go with that one.

I thought so, too, but then found out that the Urbane LTE's sim card slot is sealed and not user accessible ... :(

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Here's my solution that's working well. Six months now with no breakage. A combination of the aftermarket charger and the stand for the Apple watch charger. I just hook the bottom clip and let the weight of the watch and band hold Gear S against the charging pins. It's enough to maintain contact but no excess stress on the clips.
DSCN0160.jpg
DSCN0163.jpg
DSCN0165.jpg
Here's the parts I used, just $20 for all three:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4936068
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4936068

Last edited:

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine broke but why would I buy another charger. Get a roll of velcro cable ties. Wrap it around the watch and velcro it tight. Simple and cheap. Since you only need one from the roll you may use the rest for some tidying up of your other cables. :)

IMG_20160115_080520.jpg

This is the way I manage